Speculation: Under Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No, no I'm not talking about the awesome Queen's song, I'm talking about this team and current expectations going into the season. With BNTG now gone, who will become the new scapegoat for Minnesota fans? Who is under pressure to succeed? And even with a massive cap relief next year, which player is under the most pressure to show up?

Forwards:

Mikko Koivu - It's time for him to step up and play. We know what he's capable of. We know what he can do. We know he can be a dominate player in this league but he goes through stretches where he simply disappears. And when he disappears, the entire team disappears. Frankly, if he doesn't put up more than 70 points this year (which he was on pace for this year) or if he is out with another injury, the Wild need to move on and find a legitimate first line center and bump Koivu down to the second line. His play in the playoffs was pathetic now that it was known he didn't have an injury. But he signed his contract two years ago. It's now time for him to show he deserves his contract.

Kyle Brodziak - Brodziak was terrible this year. He was 'injured' the entire season. But that was no excuse for Tom Gilbert, who became a casualty due to the cap. Brodziak needs to show up this year in better shape and become the dominate third line center he was a few years ago. His contract is coming up soon and these next few years will either set him up for life or he'll be looking for a new start.

Mikael Granlund - Like Koivu, we know what Granlund is capable of. Blame the management for not having a great backup plan if Granlund failed (we have Cullen!) as a second line center and then not knowing what to do with him after he did fail. Another year in the AHL might help him even more. But he needs to have a rebound year and show that he is going to be one of the next bright stars in the NHL. If not, he could find himself like Nino.

Defense:

Marco Scandella - Lack of cap space and some uneven growth has pushed Scandella into the second pairing for Minnesota. He's been a pro for 3-4 years now and he needs to show more consistency and overall better play than what he has been showing. The playoffs showed he can be a solid second pairing but his season showed he still had a lot of room to grow. Without much of a backup plan, Scandella (and Spurgeon) both need to show that they deserve to be in the top 4 this year. If not, Minnesota might be in for a long year.

Jared Spurgeon - He plays bigger than his tiny size and has shown some offensive flair that Minnesota sorely needs from the blueline. He does need to show a little more consistency but overall, he needs to have a healthy season. While not considered injury prone, he does have some durability concerns due to his small size. He had a foot injury that kept him out of the lineup for a few weeks. He had a groin injury that sidelined him. He had a concussion as well. While this wouldn't be a big deal, it's still something to keep in mind as he's going to get banged up. But overall him and Scandella need to have big years this year.

Front Office/Coaching:

Darryl Sydor - With how bad the power play was ran last year, Sydor needs to show some adaptability and change the personal on the power play. To say the Wild's power play was a joke last year is an understatement.

On the Horizon -

Chuck Fletcher - Lackluster trades, poor cap management and baffling roster moves mixed with spurts of high risk, high reward trades, great drafting, and a willingness to take risks, keeps Fletcher from the hot seat for another year. But the pressure is starting to mount and if this year, Minnesota doesn't make some noise, you can believe the pressure will be on him next year. Especially if we have to pick a new coach.

Charlie Coyle - Big bodied player that has shown flashes of dominance (hullo Vancouver!) and top 6 wing potential may be shifted to center. Offense will come but he will need to show some improvement in that area to keep fans at bay. Needs to shoot more (memo: Keep away from Koivu). Could learn a thing or two from Brunette.

Mathew Dumba - Had an explosive year two years ago before he was drafted. Coaching changes and changes in responsibility provided an uneven year for Dumba, who ended the season on the upswing. Needs to make the Canadian team this year for the juniors, which began some uneasy whispers last year about his future. Easily passed up by Trouba, who many Wild fans wanted. Needs to show immense growth this year as he'll more than likely be returned to the W to finish his career there.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Forwards: I have to agree that Koivu is under a lot of pressure. This is his team and if he can't put up 70 points with real talent on the wings, then there is a big problem. Toews got a pass in the playoffs for not scoring, because he was able to silence the line he was facing. If Koivu isn't going to score, he has to be the same shutdown, stifling third defender so he isn't putting the team in a bigger hole. But also saying that, Setoguchi has to believe he is under just as much pressure. After this whole witch hunt to see him traded, he has to know he is on the outs and to score a big contract hes got to have a big year. For forwards, I'd say those are the two under the most pressure. Parise is already Minnesota's favorite son. Too little has been seen of Pominville on the Wild for fans to put pressure on him. I don't think pressure can be put on prospects to perform, they are learning the league still. Not only learning the league, but also learning how to live on their own while making big bucks.

Defensemen: Stoner. Stoner. Stoner. Dude was worse than Falk by a wide margin. Didn't bring much of a physical game, but we trade Falk and keep Stoner. Bewildering. This guy either needs to start playing his position or go the way of the Sheppard.

Goalies: I'm putting pressure on Yeo to not play Backstrom so much.

Coaching: The PP needs to start moving around. Its like they all had set spots and they wouldn't move out of them. Rotate. Get open. Drop down and give me 20. Do jumping jacks. Just don't do what you did last year. Obviously, I'd like to fix the powerplay. But the top teams have shown that you can lack a PP and still win. But I'd also like to quit playing the top players on the PK so much and start putting in more role players so we can roll out the top line more, rather than having to rely on the fourth line in normal situations. I don't want Koivu and Parise out there killing penalties all the time. Save them to score some goals. ****. Thats what you have Brodziak, Mitchell, and co for.

thestonedkoala said:
Mathew Dumba - Had an explosive year two years ago before he was drafted. Coaching changes and changes in responsibility provided an uneven year for Dumba, who ended the season on the upswing. Needs to make the Canadian team this year for the juniors, which began some uneasy whispers last year about his future. Easily passed up by Trouba, who many Wild fans wanted. Needs to show immense growth this year as he'll more than likely be returned to the W to finish his career there.

There is no doubt that Trouba should have been taken before Dumba. However, that does not make me want to put added pressure on him. Dumba should take as long as he needs. All the people that I've talked to in Red Deer say he played a more complete game, he can take as long as he needs to learn from Sutter to play the game. Yea, it took him a while to get going, but thats what happens when your team sucks, you switch coaches, and start playing a better two-way game. Not to mention hes done playing 30+ minutes a game.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I didn't know Tom Gilbert was our scapegoat. Everyone is always under pressure to perform, maybe more so to at least make the playoffs again. Not really sure of anyone individually, but probably the more high profile guys the most.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What about Mike Yeo?

IMO he has to get more out of the players than he has in the past.

I think he will feel the heat more than most in the organization this season.

He was under pressure the entire year last year.

But also saying that, Setoguchi has to believe he is under just as much pressure. After this whole witch hunt to see him traded, he has to know he is on the outs and to score a big contract hes got to have a big year.

Yes and no. Setoguchi had a monstrous second year and teams may look at Minnesota and go, well they have no offense. I didn't really include anyone with a contract coming up because well, they are already under pressure to perform but they might just leave as well and start fresh next year.

Defensemen: Stoner. Stoner. Stoner. Dude was worse than Falk by a wide margin. Didn't bring much of a physical game, but we trade Falk and keep Stoner. Bewildering. This guy either needs to start playing his position or go the way of the Sheppard.

Stoner played out of position as in, he played in the top 5 when he should be at best a bottom pairing to reserve defenseman. We asked too much out of Stoner. Scandella and Spurgeon are also younger and have a higher upside.

There is no doubt that Trouba should have been taken before Dumba. However, that does not make me want to put added pressure on him.

I think so. Minnesota needs a defenseman (Trouba seems to be jumping into the AHL/NHL this year) and Trouba could have solved some of that. Instead we might have to wait longer for Dumba. Furthermore, if Dumba continues to play as uneven as he did this year, that isn't a good sign.

All the people that I've talked to in Red Deer say he played a more complete game, he can take as long as he needs to learn from Sutter to play the game. Yea, it took him a while to get going, but thats what happens when your team sucks, you switch coaches, and start playing a better two-way game. Not to mention hes done playing 30+ minutes a game.

What I want to see from Dumba is if he still has his physical game or not. Didn't hear much about that last year.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Yes and no. Setoguchi had a monstrous second year and teams may look at Minnesota and go, well they have no offense. I didn't really include anyone with a contract coming up because well, they are already under pressure to perform but they might just leave as well and start fresh next year.

Teams that say that would be right, unfortunately. I don't mind if Seto has a 30-40+ goal season and leaves. We're getting Vanek anyways. :sarcasm:

thestonedkoala said:
Stoner played out of position as in, he played in the top 5 when he should be at best a bottom pairing to reserve defenseman. We asked too much out of Stoner. Scandella and Spurgeon are also younger and have a higher upside.

Yes, he was out of position. But since we had someone that should have been in that role (Falk), but Stoner was preferred, he should be rightfully criticized.

thestonedkoala said:
I think so. Minnesota needs a defenseman (Trouba seems to be jumping into the AHL/NHL this year) and Trouba could have solved some of that. Instead we might have to wait longer for Dumba. Furthermore, if Dumba continues to play as uneven as he did this year, that isn't a good sign.

I don't think its fair. Dumba is still half a year younger than Trouba. Not much, but he was one of youngest in his draft year. Hes still growing into his body as well. Trouba is already 2-3 inches and 15-20 pounds bigger. Body wise, he is ready for the NHL. For Dumba game, he needs more meat on him before he can play in the NHL. Different styles have different ETAs in the NHL. For what the Wild want Dumba to turn into, a two way defenseman, rather than purely offense, it'll take more fine tuning. But also maybe Dumba just peaked too early (Dumba #1 and Trouba 63).

From his small sample size in the AHL last year, it looked like he was pretty fit for AHL already. Wasn't given a big role as they were gearing up for the playoffs, but he didn't look out of place. I feel like I'm fighting my instincts going against TROUBA. I literally put his name in white in every pre-draft post for the 2 months leading up to the draft

thestonedkoala said:
What I want to see from Dumba is if he still has his physical game or not. Didn't hear much about that last year.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=874212&highlight=dumba&page=20

That was all I could find from that thread from this year. I know some fans came to our board to talk, but don't remember what thread. I think hes being smarter defensively, hes sacrificing the big hit. He will still throw them, but not at the cost of being out of position.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I don't know if you can say Fletcher screwed us on cap space, we are tight this year but its not like we had to let some key long-term player to walk for nothing.

We are in a great position with cap space going forward and have a legit chance to add Vanek next offseason imo.

Coach is the biggest issue, he is too stubborn and overplayed Suter/Koivu/Parise/Backstrom.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I don't know if you can say Fletcher screwed us on cap space, we are tight this year but its not like we had to let some key long-term player to walk for nothing.

I don't think he screwed us on the cap. Cap went down without salary rollbacks. Not his fault. Heatley injured and can't be bought out, not in his control. And yea, we didn't lose any long-term players for nothing. Big plus there.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Teams that say that would be right, unfortunately. I don't mind if Seto has a 30-40+ goal season and leaves. We're getting Vanek anyways. :sarcasm:

We probably are going to target Vanek. But Seto really has no expectations here.

Yes, he was out of position. But since we had someone that should have been in that role (Falk), but Stoner was preferred, he should be rightfully criticized.

Our entire defense outside the top pairing sucked.

I don't think its fair. Dumba is still half a year younger than Trouba. Not much, but he was one of youngest in his draft year. Hes still growing into his body as well. Trouba is already 2-3 inches and 15-20 pounds bigger. Body wise, he is ready for the NHL. For Dumba game, he needs more meat on him before he can play in the NHL. Different styles have different ETAs in the NHL. For what the Wild want Dumba to turn into, a two way defenseman, rather than purely offense, it'll take more fine tuning. But also maybe Dumba just peaked too early

True. Dumba might just have had an awesome year. We have high hopes for the kid but he's definitely a project. He needs to have a more consistent year though.

Depends on how Fletcher continues moving forward but I think losing Clutter might hurt a bit unless Bulmer really grows up quickly. The other thing isn't simply letting long-term players walk for nothing, but continuing to develop the roster we have. It's like Boston investing in Chara. He didn't deliver a cup immediately but he helped long term. Some of the guys that are being bought out, Fletcher had no chance to even talk with because of cap space.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Given all involved, this is a make or break year for Mike Yeo. I don't think anyone is/should be under the same scrutiny. He has to make steps with a markedly improved roster since he first took it over. No excuses this season.

And while I do like the Fletcher regime, it's not going to look all that well on him if he needs to select his 3rd coach. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to Flahr sliding into his role, if need be...

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm a Yeo fan and I think this is THE year for him pressure-wise. our depth is good enough, there's plenty of time to figure out contingencies this offseason, and the only pieces that would be absolute disaster to lose long-term would be Koivu or Suter. You can say that about most teams losing players in their position, so that really isn't a depth (fletcher) issue. We are weakest in these areas, but look around the league and what most fans seem to be asking for: centers and top four defensemen. leads me to believe there aren't a lot of them out there in terms of quality that would make up for that sort of loss.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeo: Absolutely make or break, if he can't get out of the first round, he's gone.

Fletcher: He's drafted well, but how he has built the team via trades and UFA is very questionable. Again, if the team doesn't make it out of the first round, he's gone.

Koivu: Russo is the only local sports guy who likes him and frankly I can't blame the rest of them. He hasn't proven a thing and deserves a lot more criticism than he gets. But he's not going anywhere, he's been paid and has his NTC.

I think most of the team needs to prove themselves this year and bounce back. Brodziak, Setoguchi, Heatley, Granlund, Mitchell, Konopka, Stoner, Prosser, Scandella, and Harding all need to be better.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't think a first round exit is a killer for either Yeo or Fletcher. Playoff teams usually get a few years of treading water as long as something else is getting better...have to show progress but not necessarily (this year) in depth of the playoff run.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Fletcher is not under pressure, crazy to even think that he will be near the chopping block ANY TIME SOON. He isn't going anywhere unless another team lures him away.

As for those knocking Dumba. You didn't watch him play and are probably attempting to formulate an opinion based upon his stats last year... and if that is the case, please don't post Dumba comments as you have little knowledge of his situation.... Dumba will be a boom or bust player, signs are pointing to boom but two years out, maybe more. Be patient for the love of Jebus!!!!!!!!!! Trouba cry cry cry blah blah blah. We know we know, let Dumba have a chance, give him time.

Last edited:

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Fletcher is not under pressure, crazy to even think that he will be near the chopping block ANY TIME SOON. He isn't going anywhere unless another team lures him away.

As for those knocking Dumba. You didn't watch him play and are probably attempting to formulate an opinion based upon his stats last year... and if that is the case, please don't post Dumba comments as you have little knowledge of his situation.... Dumba will be a boom or bust player, signs are pointing to boom but two years out, maybe more. Be patient for the love of Jebus!!!!!!!!!! Trouba cry cry cry blah blah blah. We know we know, let Dumba have a chance, give him time.

Part of being a GM is hiring head coaches and so far he has failed on both hires, So if the team underachieves next year he should be under a lot of heat!

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
How anyone could use Charlie Coyle, M. Dumba or M Granlund as scapegoats is beyond me. These guys are still basically rookies, no one in their right mind should be blaming these guys for the reason the Wild will be worse in 2013-2014. (and I can't stand Granlund, but even I won't blame him for the team sucking).

Also, I think it is also too early to go after Scandella ...YES he needs to step up and show he can play in the NHL, but no way should he be the scape goat.

If you need a scape goat, then I would suggest the following,

Daryl Sudor, Mike Yeo, or Chuck Fletcher.
Also, I'm ok with pointing out Koivu, Brodziak, Parise or Suter if they are not getting the job done.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
i don't think a first round exit is a killer for either Yeo or Fletcher. Playoff teams usually get a few years of treading water as long as something else is getting better...have to show progress but not necessarily (this year) in depth of the playoff run.

Agreed, unless the Wild win the West by 15 games and then get bounced in the first.

But the reality is, the Wild won't make the playoffs in 2013-2014

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Agreed, unless the Wild win the West by 15 games and then get bounced in the first.

But the reality is, the Wild won't make the playoffs in 2013-2014

What are the next lottery numbers? You seem to be pretty good at predicting the future. Or at least pretending you are.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
What are the next lottery numbers? You seem to be pretty good at predicting the future. Or at least pretending you are.

This past year the Wild squeeked into the playoffs by the skinniest of margins.

The have gotten worse in the off season, and no better players to be signed in FA it appears; so it doesn't take much to realize the Wild won't make the playoffs.

Quite honestly, I'd rather the Wild keep the money, play the kids this year, and get a top 10 draft pick.

Then next year with Heatley's cap hit gone, they will have 10-13 million to sign the 1-2 "missing pieces" and make a run for the Cup.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
This past year the Wild squeeked into the playoffs by the skinniest of margins.The have gotten worse in the off season, and no better players to be signed in FA it appears; so it doesn't take much to realize the Wild won't make the playoffs.

Quite honestly, I'd rather the Wild keep the money, play the kids this year, and get a top 10 draft pick.

Then next year with Heatley's cap hit gone, they will have 10-13 million to sign the 1-2 "missing pieces" and make a run for the Cup.

And the missed having home ice and winning the division by the skinniest of margins also? Missed home ice by what 4 points?

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
And the missed having home ice and winning the division by the skinniest of margins also? Missed home ice by what 4 points?

BREAKING NEWS ...WILD ARE IN A NEW DIVISION!!! You think Chicago is going to roll over and die? St. Louis will take a back seat? Dallas has re-tooled, Nashville will be back, and Winnipeg is getting better. Heck we even struggled against Colorado last season, and they just added the best forward available in the draft.

Do you really think the Wild are going to just slide into 1st in the division this season? :shakehead

The will be LUCKY if they get 3rd.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Getting cut from the World Juniors for Canada is a concern. His uneven play (I don't care about stats) in the beginning of the year is a concern. We know what Dumba is capable of. We know what he can do. We just need him to do it (again) for an entire year. We know he can be a top defenseman in the W but we need him to prove it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad