Post-Game Talk: Under-manned Habs lose 5-2 to Florida (UPD: Bennett suspended 3 games for head hit to Paquette)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
It’s hard to believe the habs had a GM who massively underrated the impact of Danault, Weber, Price, and even Kotkaniemi.
it's breathtaking the way bargain-bin's teams fluctuated between cinderella and dogshit. He never really figured it out - until last season and then promptly blew it all up, threw shit against the wall, improvised it, foxholed it...whatevered it...like the previous 8 years

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
it's breathtaking the way bargain-bin's teams fluctuated between cinderella and dogshit. He never really figured it out - until last season and then promptly blew it all up, threw shit against the wall, improvised it, foxholed it...whatevered it...like the previous 8 years
He was really uneven. He made some good trades, he was improving on drafts, but he couldn’t build a team or identify key players. His signings were just random.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well I guess we’ll see lol there’s a new GM and presumably going to be a new coach, given I am a fan of Gorton, I’d like to see what he and his staff think of the roster and their prospects/picks first before I automatically throw away a season for a player I’m not guaranteed to draft.

The injuries plus Covid, a mediocre roster and an overwhelmed coach are throwing away the season all their own, without management needing to try.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The Cinderalla thing was a Covid outcome (meaning of course that they would have never made the playoffs if it weren’t for the weak Canadian Division they were in), nothing more. Amazing how Bergevin’s incompetence is only realized now by some (not you).

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I watch and marvel at how bad this team is and we still can't get last place. What the hell, Coyotes?!!
Come on guy.... you can't be surprised thus team is bad. 20 regulate out of tje line up man, come on!

We have Perennial AHLers and some ECHLers playing against a top tier team.

You really are shocked at the result?

What exactly do you expect from them?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The injuries plus Covid, a mediocre roster and an overwhelmed coach are throwing away the season all their own, without management needing to try.

Habs are on pace to win 17 games at their current rate. Safe to say the season is done like dinner.

Or, put it this way, this years team is current tied for 10th all-time in fewest wins in an NHL season. It's THAT bad. Oh you want the list?

NHL Records

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Cinderalla thing was a Covid outcome, nothing more. Amazing how Bergevin’s incompetence is only realized now by some (not you).
The Cinderella run was a testament to how important elite talent is. Carey Price was the driving force behind us getting to the finals. Elite talent can be found most commonly in the top five. And Price just happened to be our first top five pick in 25 years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Cannot think of a better example of team unintentionally trying to not tank yet doing it so well , it’s astonishing really
Price covered up a lot for many years. Plus we lost Weber… there’s just no way this team was going to survive without both.

Anyways it will force a much needed rebuild. Hate to see our young players struggling though. CC with one goal isn’t good.

Reactions: cphabs

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
people saying this season has been horrible haven't seen anything yet. We are capable of being as bad next year as well!! I want Bedard on this team (so does his dad) :innocent:
Bedard is gonna be a future GOAT. Guy looks like it. A Connor (97) vs Connor (98) for league supremacy is a storyline that writes itself too, to see who the true son of the goat of goats is (99).

I haven’t seen a single highlight from the kid and just saw his face in a thumbnail on YouTube an hour ago, so this is my source:

8DD49462-78B5-4A3B-B357-D26D78CCC6BB.jpeg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It’s honestly hard to believe we were playing in the Stanley Cup Finals a few months ago.

This is what being a bizarre franchise is. We have a dumb, schizophrenic board but I'd seriously challenge anyone to find a team that has as weird competitive history as ours post-2001. The only team I can think of is the Philadelphia Flyers.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What were they doing from 2006-2010? Multiple top 5 picks, multiple first round picks. Multiple picks in a non playoff position.

Dare I say it, rebuilding?

LOL.

The St.Louis Blues were definitely trying to compete in 05-06. They certainly were not trying to rebuild, as they were a vet-filled team who still thought they had something to offer. Their crash in 2006 was as unexpected as Philadelphia's in 2007. They then finished 10th (mediocrity central) in 2007 (picking 13th), before losing big again in 2008 and getting Pietrangelo. Then they made the playoffs (6th in the conference) in 2009 and another winning record in 2010 (9th in the conference, the position this board hates the most). People really need to look shit up before posting. They always tried to compete to keep up their playoff streak. Like, this wasn't even that long ago. I'm not even thirty and I remember that vividly. They traded Tkachuk for a 1st and that was about it. They resigned him three months after that. They even signed a Detroit-Hyped Manny Legace in the summer of 2006 (right after drafting Erik Johnson 1st overall, who neither he nor who he was traded for had a role in their 2019 triumph) to try and remedy things after crashing.

Good lord man, this would have taken you seven minutes. This board never seems to realize that tank teams are much rarer than they think, with a much lower success rate than they actually believe. Fetishizers to the fullest.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandR

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton
On a complete aside, I like your posting name. Most here never had an opportunity to watch Dick Duff play. Duff was one of my favorite players of the 1960s and was one of the very few players of that era who could play in the NHL today.

Dick Duff was certainly a feisty competitor - especially in the play-offs - who never backed down from a larger opponent.

Reactions: dinodebino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Good lord man, this would have taken you seven minutes. This board never seems to realize that tank teams are much rarer than they think, with a much lower success rate than they actually believe. Fetishizers to the fullest.

No man, the point is most of successful teams have gone through a form of tank/rebuild. Pretty irrelevant to point out plenty of teams have also tried and failed. What's important is to realize most contenders usually have gone through that process.

Reactions: amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad