Prospect Info: Under 25 y/o Sens Players 2021 Ranking : #8

Who will be the best amongst U-25 Sens players? #8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Asking people to take position and vote for : who you think will end up the best player "when all is said and done". All factors have to be taken into account (skill, skating, shooting, hockey sense/IQ, potential, likelihood of reaching it, development curve, age, leadership, size/strength, physicality, etc)

Ask yourself this question :

Who among this pool of players would I draft BPA? It's basically an organizational RE-DRAFT of all players under 25 y/o.
Who are our most important assets, in order?

Under 25 y/o Sens Players 2021 Ranking

1- Tim Stutzle (50.4%)
2- Thomas Chabot (66.0%)
3- Brady Tkachuk (74.1%)
4- Jake Sanderson (58.4%)
5- Josh Norris (64.0%)
6- Drake Batherson (62.2%)
7- Shane Pinto (62.9%)
8-
9-
10-

2019 Ranking :

Prospect Info: - Under 25 y/o Sens Players Ranking #18b

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
All aboard the Gus bus!

While I do really like Formenton, the question of the thread is 'Who will be the best'?

Formenton looks like hes going to be a really solid 3rd liner who plays pesky and can be a threat on the pk. Very valuable and I'm excited for him.

But I think he lacks the upside that Gus does. Gus could become our true number 1 we've been searching for in forever.

That's why I went with him over the others. Highest upside and potential.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Big fan of Grieg. I like Brannstrom but small D seem to have a bit of a glass ceiling.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Greig becomes one of our most important forwards. His skillset paired with his playing style is going to drive teams crazy, like Marchand does. Of course, it would be crazy to expect him to become as good but anything over 50% of Marchand would be really valuable.

But there's several other guys that have an argument

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
There are a lot of guys remaining who could feasibly project as a very impressive "8th best player" for a team. Looking at Tampa, their best players, in no particular order, are Point, Kucherov, Hedman, and Vasilevskiy. Next up is probably Stammer & Sergachev. After that, we're talking Cirelli, Palat, Gourde, McDonagh, Cernak.

Now, this is a superteam, and we obviously need a whole lot to pan out perfectly if we are going to be close, but the fact that our 10th OV, JBD, Sokolov, Greig, the goalies, and even Colin White - he did score 40+ pts as a rookie not even in contention for this spot is pretty nice.

Reactions: Smeddy

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
How does Gustavsson keep missing out by so much? The guy looked legit in a relatively short spell last season. But that, based on his track record and pedigree, suggest to me that he's one of the most talented GK prospects in the league, let along on the Sens. I think he's top 5 on Sens easily. But kind of shocked he's still not being voted for by number 8. Gus will displace Murray sooner or later and will likely be the long term starting GK for a very young and talented Sens team. He's a guy who can evolve and mature alongside their other terrific young plays. There's only a handful of GK prospects I would prefer over Gus in the entire league. Can also include this years draft eligible. And those names are the expected, Askarov, Knight, Wallstedt, maybe like DiPietro. And I am not even counting guys like Shesterkin, Sorokin etc. Personally I'd rate him right behind Josh Norris probably in this thread series. At #6 ahead of Batherson and Pinto.

Brannstrom could still be terrific. But I don't think he's ever getting ahead of Chabot for PP and offensive role. Which is fine, he'll likely be their PP2 guy I guess. But he won't likely get the minutes Chabot does and that could effect his production to some extent.

Reactions: DJB

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I went off my own board as I couldn't think straight and the Madsness set in.

His physical attributes, athleticism and how composed (downright dominant at times) he looked to finish the season with Belleville have me believing he could well be our dominant G of the future.

Greig is close for me as well.

If Brann gets top 4 ice time I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a big leap and puts up good numbers to show he is a longer term piece for us.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I went JBD. I was extremely impressed with his NHL showing at the end of the season. Way more poise than I was expecting. He plays a pro game already and both him and Pinto are going to walk straight into the NHL without missing a beat.

Reactions: aragorn and Xspyrit

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
My top 10 is pretty similar to what we have going with these polls, but of course any of the "lesser known" players could shoot up the rankings in a year or two:

1. Stutzle
2. Chabot
3. Tkachuk
4. Sanderson
5. Norris
6. Pinto
7. Brannstrom
8. Batherson
9. Sokolov
10. Greig

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How does Gustavsson keep missing out by so much? The guy looked legit in a relatively short spell last season. But that, based on his track record and pedigree, suggest to me that he's one of the most talented GK prospects in the league, let along on the Sens. I think he's top 5 on Sens easily. But kind of shocked he's still not being voted for by number 8.

Ok but this is not a prospect pool. Considering the guys voted so far, It's not shocking AT ALL that Gustavsson has not been voted at #8

It's more important to look at the name options voted/available and not the poll position... "not voted by number #8" is irrelevant. It just means that the Ottawa Senators are starting to have great talent depth

I did a complete 180 on Gustavsson last season but I still think Sogaard ends up as the biggest beast. If they both continue on their current paths, I think that's 2 very good starting goalies. It's almost another Lehner vs Bishop situation, although we have time on our side this time (Bishop approached UFA status quite fast) and also none seem to have personnal issues like Lehner had. We were kinda bad lucked with those 2 but we were fine for a while as we had Craig Anderson (underrated all his career)

Gus will displace Murray sooner or later and will likely be the long term starting GK for a very young and talented Sens team. He's a guy who can evolve and mature alongside their other terrific young play(er)s. ... Personally I'd rate him right behind Josh Norris probably in this thread series. At #6 ahead of Batherson and Pinto.

Ok so I'm a bit confused after reading the first part of your post and now this. You seem to recognize that the Sens have very young and talented players, even "terrific", so what is surprising that Gustavsson hasn't been voted at #8?

Finally, you end up saying you'd have him at #6, which is not outrageously far from where we're at now. I understand you're high on him but it's also very understandable if people are higher on guys like Batherson and Pinto, particularly considering that Gustavsson struggled for 2 full seasons before "finding his game". I was thinking about starting to give up on him. A 3rd year in a row would have been a big red flag.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There are a lot of guys remaining who could feasibly project as a very impressive "8th best player" for a team. Looking at Tampa, their best players, in no particular order, are Point, Kucherov, Hedman, and Vasilevskiy. Next up is probably Stammer & Sergachev. After that, we're talking Cirelli, Palat, Gourde, McDonagh, Cernak.

Now, this is a superteam, and we obviously need a whole lot to pan out perfectly if we are going to be close, but the fact that our 10th OV, JBD, Sokolov, Greig, the goalies, and even Colin White - he did score 40+ pts as a rookie not even in contention for this spot is pretty nice.

Tampa seems to have a fast highly skilled team with size and players who play like vets even if they are young (well-coached). The Senators are nowhere near Tampa's rank.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Tampa seems to have a fast highly skilled team with size and players who play like vets even if they are young (well-coached). The Senators are nowhere near Tampa's rank.

........ did you read past the 15th word of the post you are quoting?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It gets tough here.

Sokolov/Gus/Brannstrom/Greig you can't go wrong.

I chose Greig because of ceiling. I think Gustavsson has highest ceiling but he's a goalie so he comes next.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
This one was tougher for me. Some guys I just haven’t seen enough of like Greig but I went with Gus because I think he can be a true #1 goalie and that’s the most valuable at this stage.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Formenton for me.

If the league is serious about the rules/ref concerns....

Honestly , in my 40 odd years of being an NHL fan, the concept of the league becoming “serious about the rules” has come up at least 10 times.

The reffing in the NHL is what it is. It’ll never change.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Honestly , in my 40 odd years of being an NHL fan, the concept of the league becoming “serious about the rules” has come up at least 10 times.

The reffing in the NHL is what it is. It’ll never change.

There was a big change the year Crosby entered the league. Trying to get rid of the dead puck era they called everything....until the playoffs.

So they can do it if they really want to. And honestly, the way fans have been grumbling lately (and the ref mic incident) they may not have a choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad