• SHANE PINTO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DRAKE BATHERSON

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Still too young to determine what he will become although he has a very good skill set. I see the others above him with the exception of Sanderson as complete players already & I have Sanderson there because I agree with someone above who also sees Sanderson as a 20 minute plus minute cruncher in all situations in his future. We'll probably never see Stutzle on the PK for example, whereas Sanderson should eventually play in every situation.

I get that Sanderson COULD play in all situations but he might never be a PP guy, for example. It won't mean that he's any less of a player than Connor Brown who does play all situations.

Also Brady Tkachuk is not a PK player and likely never will be. He's pretty bad defensively at this point of his career. Yet you have him #1. Why is playing all situations important for some but not others?

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not saying Stutzle is McDavid but when the Oilers got McDavid, didn't their fans expect him to become the franchise best player in the near future? Of course, Stutzle could end up being disappointing but I don't know, watching him and how good he looked at times despite how raw he was, it doesn't seem very likely that he'll be an "underwhelming pick". I think his game will take off a few levels in the next 2-3 years.

Like you said, he has a very good skill set but he also has the drive and determination to be the best. Who cares if he PKs or not? Patrick Kane doesn't PK at all. We want Stutzle to be an offense driver and leave guys like Connor Brown and Nick Paul to be the master PKers.

So if Stutzle is "only" our 6th best player, then we're not a Cup contender but a DYNASTY contender

I think many people in the hockey circle see Stutzle as a worthy 1st OA pick. Not in the McJesus years but you know if RNH, Hischier, Hughes, Yakupov, etc can be 1st OA picks, Stutzle certainly has that potential.

So what does Byfield have that Stutzle doesn't have? You are projecting Byfield as a top line centre...

Safe to assume you'd rank Byfield #1 in this poll. Can you explain why?

I never said Stutzle was an "underwhelming pick", nor do I think he won't be a top line player, this is what you & others are saying. I think he has the potential to be a top line player, maybe even elite & could lead this team in scoring. But I also think so can the guys who are ahead of him on my list with the exception of Sanderson who I think has the potential to be a great defenceman. If Stutzle is the 6th best player why wouldn't the team then be a cup contender because the guys ahead of him would be great players too. I don't understand why you would think they would be worse. Batherson was up there with Tkachuk all yr & Norris was never far behind, maybe it's you that are selling them short. You assume too much & are making things up that I never said, be fair.

If Ottawa would have drafted Byfield, Tkachuk would still be my #1 player on this poll. He's under 25 led this team in almost everything & every game I watched he was constantly the centre of conversation for the announcers. Stutzle could still be the better player, he's younger & has time, we'll see it doesn't change that I think Byfied has the potential to eventually become a #1 centre. What does that have to do with Stutzle though & why can't they both be top line players? This board has a problem with differing opinions, not everyone has to like exactly the same players. I wrote a post shortly after the draft & said I didn't see much difference between Lafreniere & Stutzle & mentioned I thought Stutzle could turn into the better player & people argued about that. Stutzle needs to work on the defensive side as most young players do & playing without the puck.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I certainly haven't given up on Byfield. I still think he'll be a heck of a player, but Stützle looks like the better prospect right now. That can obviously change but what Stü did in the NHL this year (especially early) is quite rare for a raw European rookie in the modern NHL. And he's still adjusting to the North American game.

I don't think many analysts/GMs/hockey execs would view Byfield as a far superior prospect at this point. They can be wrong but Stü is every bit the high end prospect that Byfield is at this point, plus he's shown that he can get it done in the NHL.
Agreed, they are both good prospects & while one could lead in pts the other could lead in a number of other categories. They both have top line potential & should both be great NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad