UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
With no additions, I assume that there is some sort of plan of perhaps getting Trainor into a game? Or can they still add a player later in the season, is there a cutoff date to add a player?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The only cutoff date would be registration at school. A couple of years ago when Ben Duffy was at UNB but Not on the roster, the plan was to play him in some exhibition games prior to the Nationals. UNB got beat that year in AUS finals by ACA??, so Duffy didn't get on the roster.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
So the option is there, but I really don't see them adding anyone last minute, I think that he is happy with his lineup and will go to the nationals with what he has. Now, if a superstar just happened to come available that wanted to join, he still has the option of adding him so long as Trainor hasn't gotten into the lineup.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So the option is there, but I really don't see them adding anyone last minute, I think that he is happy with his lineup and will go to the nationals with what he has. Now, if a superstar just happened to come available that wanted to join, he still has the option of adding him so long as Trainor hasn't gotten into the lineup.

Correct, provided the superstar ...
- is 21, or younger,
AND hasn't played a pro after January 10th
AND is academically eligible to play
AND is enrolled by that school's 2nd term registration date (UNB's Feb. 13th)
AND has paid his tuition (UNB's is Jan. 10th).

- is 22, or older,
AND hasn't played pro after January 10th, 2016 (365 rule)
OR has played but will start playing after the 365 days is up.
AND has at least 1 year of eligibility left
AND is academically eligible to play
AND is enrolled by that school's 2nd term registration date (UNB's Feb. 13th)
AND has paid his tuition (UNB's is Jan. 10th).

I suspect the upside of having a new guy didn't outweigh the benefits of the current team chemistry.

They won a title with this team last year, no reason to believe they can't do it again (at home).

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
A little bit of rust last night, but overall a decent game I thought. Maillet seemed to be flying out there last night. York has a good team, thought that they were a bigger team as well.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Pretty sloppy game I thought...a lot of bouncing pucks and missed opportunities. A little more luck and they could have had a couple more goals as they must have hit 5 posts.

Having said that, you can see why York is good...they are a big, physical team who plays good defense and gets good goaltending. UNB wore them down in the 3rd, but they stack up pretty well with any of the other OUA teams that have visited over the last few years.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
So Cooper was the odd man out last night, wondering if it was precautionary or if he is suffering from the hit that he took vs Acadia. Was nice however to see Critch back in the lineup.
A side note, Thomas wasn't as noticeable last night, I only recall one or two of his shifts, where he almost had the goal (maybe a post) and then got drilled in front of their net.
I suspect tonight's game will be a little more feisty. Hopefully a few more fans are there tonight.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Does playing in an exhibition game count as your one game played vs roster spot? Trainor was in the lineup tonight, although had very few shifts.

Much better game tonight, although someone please explain why O'Shaughnessey seems to think that we are there to see him put on a show?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
It's a good time to be a VReds Hockey Fan.

The VReds are #1 (nationally) in Goals (112), GPG% (5.09), PP% (29.6), PK%(91.5) and 2nd in GAA (1.91) and third in Goals Allowed (44).

Maillet is #1 (nationally) in points 39 and +/- (+24).

Marcoux is #1 with a GAA of 1.68

Murray is tied for 3rd in Assists (22). Is the top DMan in the AUS with 33pts, 15 ahead of second (Schemitsch-ACD) and is the top DMan in the CIS, 7 ahead of 2nd (Lefebvre-UQTR). He is already 5 pts ahead of where he finished last season with 8 games to go. ...and if my research is right, close to setting the UNB single season pts record for a DMan which is 38 (Cavanagh in 26 games - 95').

I guess this is what's to be expected with a mature team of solid veterans. What's scary is the 44 gosl against could be lower had they not had some momentary lapses vs DAL (8 goals in two games back in Oct.).

The only troublesome issues for me is the Power Play - you should never rely on your PP to save the day as good teams give up few opportunities and they also likely have a good PK. UNB's record drops to 12-10 from 17-5 if you remove all of their PP Goals. Still good enough for 4th in the AUS (1pt out of 3rd).

Also, their record in 1-Goal games isn't great, 3-5 in 8 games with only 1 win on OT, the other 2 were Shootouts.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Unfortunately the OUA doesn't track plus/minus, so that stat at the CIS/USport level is a bit deceptive.

Last year, and the year before, and the year before ... UNB's special teams were pretty average. This year they have been exceptional. I cannot remember a more effective UNB power play, and I have been watching this team a long time. Reminds me of the SMU powerplay a few years ago when Marc Rancourt was so lethal. Phil Maillet is this powerplay's Rancourt.

My one knock against the V-Reds is how surprisingly uncomfortable UNB looks in 3-on-3 overtime. I don't get it. Going into the season I thought they would thrive on the new OT format, but that has not been the case. If you look at last weekend's game against SMU, they dominated the third period, but didn't register a shot in OT (and yes, I know, they had to kill off the Maillet penalty).

I guess there can be worse things to be bad at. :)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wouldn't surprise me if he was done for the season.

Fortunately Brace should be back for Friday (at least that's what the Gleaner said, even though he got a 4 game suspension for the hit on Duffy and last night should have only been the 3rd game).

Hopefully Suellentrop is back soon. I know they only gave up 3 goals on the weekend, but they gave up a lot of quality chances IMO.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wouldn't surprise me if he was done for the season.

Fortunately Brace should be back for Friday (at least that's what the Gleaner said, even though he got a 4 game suspension for the hit on Duffy and last night should have only been the 3rd game).

Hopefully Suellentrop is back soon. I know they only gave up 3 goals on the weekend, but they gave up a lot of quality chances IMO.

Think that the Gleaner has it wrong, Brace would have missed the two weekend games and the game at Acadia, so I am thinking he is back for the game in Moncton.

Last night I found that they were better on the scoring chances, but against SMU, they were terrible in d-zone coverage, always seemed like someone was getting behind them or wide open.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As a UNB fan my main concern this time of year is not winning games but avoiding injuries.

I hope Clapperton starts finding the back of the net more often. Fast and agile but does not seem to have the magic touch with the puck.

With Beauvillier probably injured and Brace suspended might we see Peter Trainor finally get in a game?

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
As a UNB fan my main concern this time of year is not winning games but avoiding injuries.

I hope Clapperton starts finding the back of the net more often. Fast and agile but does not seem to have the magic touch with the puck.

With Beauvillier probably injured and Brace suspended might we see Peter Trainor finally get in a game?

I suspect with Sullentrop not 100%, Beauvillier injured and Brace still serving suspension, Trainor will get in, doesn't mean he will see any ice time, but I suspect that he will be in the lineup Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad