UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Re/ the GOAT debate

I've thought about this over the last few days, and I keep coming back to much of what has already been mentioned. If you are looking at strictly the results, then obviously this is the best UNB team ever without debate. I know many critics like to say that of course UNB is successful, they get the best players every year. Yes, that is obviously a huge part of it, but I also feel like that unfairly discounts the work ethic and effort they bring to the rink every night. This year's edition brought it 100% every single shift, never taking their foot off the gas for the entire 60 minutes. They were consistent, cohesive, focused, and relentless from September until March. It was impressive to witness the "Big Red Machine" in action.

As the season progressed, one thing that really started to stand out to me was how much of a TEAM they really were. I especially noticed it offensively. While Keating and Gilmour led the way and put up a pile of points, it seemed every game someone different would step up, whether it was Morgan, MacKay, Sproule, Corbeil, Petizian, McGurn, Nurse, etc. Everyone had their moment and was a key contributor at one point or another. Defensively, all you have to do is look at the playoffs/Nationals. They lose arguably their best all-around defenceman in McCormick, plug in McGinley/Nolet, and don't miss a beat.

So although I think you could argue that this year's team might not have been their most talented roster on paper, to me it was the combination of players and skill sets, all fitting together perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle, which made them impossible to beat.

Now I do think the AUS in general might not have been as strong this year as in previous years, but I am not sure I can buy the idea that the University Cup didn't feature a "superior" field. If we are just looking at the 2023/24 season in a vacuum, it was quite literally the strongest field possible with the top 2 regular season teams from CW/AUS/OUA-W/OUA-E participating. Yeah, I think you may lose some prestige and recognition without a "brand-name" like Alberta there, but quite frankly, they didn't deserve to be there this year. If they made it, it would have made for a weaker field. Having said that, I have trouble imagining they would have lost to TMU or McGill like the CW representatives did.

Now the real fun debate comes if your definition of best ever isn't based entirely on results, but who you think would win a hypothetical matchup between teams from two different years. For example, I still get bummed we never got to see how the 2019-20 season would have ended. That team was an absolute machine from the Christmas break on and there is no doubt in my mind they would rolled to the University Cup that year. Then, of course, you have the 2009/10 and 2007/08 teams as well. They would both have to be in the conversation. I guess part of the beauty of sports is that these debates and conversations will always exist.

Ultimately, to me, it's too hard to argue against 43-0 so I have to give the nod of GOAT to this year's squad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad