The Columbus Dispatch: Umberger wants out (Dispatch link post #276)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sabres fan here. Buffalo MIGHT be willing to take on Umberger's salary, but you would either have to

A) Retain a good chunk of salary

or

B) Be willing to give up an asset along with him to make it worth our while.

Also, there is the whole 'NTC' thing and Umberger might not be too keen to go to a place where he was knocked into next week and/or be a likely bottom 5 team next year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Sabres fan here. Buffalo MIGHT be willing to take on Umberger's salary, but you would either have to

or

Also, there is the whole 'NTC' thing and Umberger might not be too keen to go to a place where he was knocked into next week and/or be a likely bottom 5 team next year.

Not sure how this matters at all.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

or

A is fine, but no way on B. I'd rather just buy him out than trade an asset to move him.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I can't speak for the latter, but Buffalo is close to hometown for him.

As far as the trade, you really don't have any idea what your front office perceives RJ so I don't really think much of your scenarios. I would expect some salary retained as an ask (notice the wording here) for any team acquiring him, but beyond that we really can't say.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I can't speak for the latter, but Buffalo is close to hometown for him.

As far as the trade, you really don't have any idea what your front office perceives RJ so I don't really think much of your scenarios. I would expect some salary retained as an ask (notice the wording here) for any team acquiring him, but beyond that we really can't say.

Because he's from Pa.? If so wrong, WNY and Western Pa. have nothing in common, zero, nada.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
A is fine, but no way on B. I'd rather just buy him out than trade an asset to move him.
Well, from a business perspective, you could think of it as "selling" a draft pick. It certainly would make the owner's pocket book happy if we didn't have to retain any salary. So, put yourself in the FO's shoes. Save the owner a decent chunk of $$ that could be used elsewhere (FA signings, future trades, team advertising, etc), or keep your mid round pick that has a slight chance of becoming an impact player.

I'm not advocating that we should or shouldn't retain salary, I just think that you've got to consider the allocation of resources (money) in all of this. We aren't the Leafs, ya know.. the money isn't inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce