Umberger & Foligno-Is this the answer?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In today's Dispatch http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/10/08/line-switch-provides-spark.html it says that Umbie is back at RW and Foligno is back at LW (which coincidentally are the spots they have occupied for most of their careers,especially the successful parts).

So the question is why the flop did they play all of last year on their opposite side? Is Richards positional dyslexic?

Umbie seems to like the move, what do you think? Difference maker? No big deal?

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
2 games is just too small a sample size to determine if it is the answer. But Umberger looks like he dropped a few pounds, and appears to have gained a step on the ice because of it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Articles keep saying Umbie lost 6 -8 lbs. Is that really enough to make him noticeably quicker? By itself I'm not sure it does but if he worked on his aerobic capacity and overall fitness too then that makes more sense.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Articles keep saying Umbie lost 6 -8 lbs. Is that really enough to make him noticeably quicker? By itself I'm not sure it does but if he worked on his aerobic capacity and overall fitness too then that makes more sense.

I believe that's the case. If I remember right about a month ago when this was reported RJ said he was not looking to drop weight, but it was a result of his off season workouts. Anyone else remember see this?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I believe that's the case. If I remember right about a month ago when this was reported RJ said he was not looking to drop weight, but it was a result of his off season workouts. Anyone else remember see this?

Yeah, he had a different workout routine. He has shown some breakaway speed. For this kind of thing, it's the journey not the destination that makes the difference. It's not that he lost the weight, it is how he did.

Diet and workout.

Having said that, I don't know what this has to do with the OP's question.

It can't hurt going back to natural positions.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Seriously why were they on their off wings last year? I didn't notice this about last year, or rather every time I saw them on the opposite wing I assumed it was a temporary switch, not for the whole season.

For better or worse, Richards loves to go back to this trio and relies on them to handle the hardest shutdown minutes. Trouble is they are 3 guys with offensive upside (and possibly the most expensive checking line in the league), so we've got to find a way to bring that out of them.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It means he'll be able to deke through 9 people and finally score.

As much as I love to see Foligno cut through whole teams, he had 32 assists the year before coming here, and it wasn't from dekeing like a superhero.

Actually maybe having some scorers on his line would help him the most. Foligno isn't a scorer, but can set guys up well. The problem is Joey and RJ barely scored last year so Foligno tried to do it all himself. And he did it all himself several times, except for the goal. So my hope is that RJ and Joey can step up their goal scoring.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I think it does. I lost 6-8 pounds during the bicycling season this year and it's quite a bit easier to get up hills during a long ride.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The difference is that Umberger is moving his feet ... Foligno will always be a clumsy, effort-based player. The two of them, with a decent center, could make up a great third line.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
Umby plays good with players like Foligno, remember his play with Moreau or in Philly in the third line. So IMHO it can be good combination.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The difference is that Umberger is moving his feet ... Foligno will always be a clumsy, effort-based player. The two of them, with a decent center, could make up a great third line.

Could? They were the "tough minutes" 3rd line last year, unless you want to say they got too much ice-time for it. And they were great by the standards of third lines, shutting down top lines and scoring at a good rate for 3rd liners. The problem was that they aren't paid to be third liners (Foligno, Umberger), or have a draft pedigree which suggests they could be higher up (Johansen) the lineup.

Also, I don't think you can call Foligno more clumsy than Umberger. Foligno can maintain control of the puck much better than Umberger.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Could? They were the "tough minutes" 3rd line last year, unless you want to say they got too much ice-time for it. And they were great by the standards of third lines, shutting down top lines and scoring at a good rate for 3rd liners. The problem was that they aren't paid to be third liners (Foligno, Umberger), or have a draft pedigree which suggests they could be higher up (Johansen) the lineup.

Also, I don't think you can call Foligno more clumsy than Umberger. Foligno can maintain control of the puck much better than Umberger.

I'm confused, are you agreeing with me here, or disagreeing? The points you're arguing are moot as far as my speculation goes. My point was that, they can be productive when placed in the right role ... it had nothing to do with their play last year; and I never mentioned Foligno being more or less clumsy than anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad