Ukraine - S. Korea game at WHC was fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
According to this site, two Ukrainian players tried to throw the game vs South Korea, but the score wasn't the one they were paid for (1-2, and the difference should have been +2 or more), so they had to give money ($30k each) back to bookmakers.

South Korea won WHC 1A division and advanced to the top one.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Holy perogie!

South Korea advances to the top level months before they host the Winter Olympics.

Maybe there's some side deals going on with that game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not so sure about the source. We'll see I guess. I'm more concerned about the most important issue in international hockey - were the referees from neutral countries?!?!?!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Match fixing is done in order to make money off betting, not for "getting Korea to top level".

Anyway, if this is true, it's a bit weird. 2 players can hardly affect the outcome that much, and if they play like ass and intentionally disastrous they'll just get benched. It makes far more sense to fix in single player sports.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Match fixing is done in order to make money off betting, not for "getting Korea to top level".

Anyway, if this is true, it's a bit weird. 2 players can hardly affect the outcome that much, and if they play like ass and intentionally disastrous they'll just get benched. It makes far more sense to fix in single player sports.

It can still be done quite effectively in team sports such as say basketball where 2 starters can have a great control over the outcome of the game and shave points deceptively where it would be hard to notice they are on any take. They just have to throw away a pass or 2, play some soft defense at the right times and miss some timely shots. And it is very difficult to detect, I mean, who makes 100% of their shots in a game? You can make spreads very effectively this way and it is very hard to notice anything untoward going on.

But yes, your point on hockey is well taken. Difficult sport to fix games effectively by having two players in on a fix.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Goalie on the take? Seems like the surest way to me.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Goalie on the take? Seems like the surest way to me.

Well, if it's the goalie(which I didn't know at the time), that makes more sense, though even he can be swapped.

In that case, it's actually kind of odd how he managed to only allow 2 goals. Hrm...

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Well, if it's the goalie(which I didn't know at the time), that makes more sense, though even he can be swapped.

In that case, it's actually kind of odd how he managed to only allow 2 goals. Hrm...

More that he only allowed 1. Korea won that game in a shootout and the bet indicated that they wanted the result to be in regulation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This situation is pretty ridiculous. They were supposed to lose by 2 goals or more and they didn't so Zakharchenko allegedly sold the game but didn't allow the goals he needed to. What kind of game fixing is that?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The situation described in this article seems extremely unlikely.

Thread closed for the moment, feel free to PM me if a better source comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad