Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think UPL would have won us that late game in NJ last year.

I hate to be that guy who states that warm-ups mean anything at all, but...... it felt like every practice shot was going in the net when Levi was in net and nothing when UPL was.

At the time, I thought: doesn't mean anything, but, uh oh.

Levi lost us that game. Or was it Granato? Or Adams?
Luu was dealing with an ankle thing late in the year. Maybe he wins it maybe he doesn’t. But he did have surgery after the season to clear it up.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
One of many things I like about Luukkonen -- he seems to get better as the game goes on.
I don't have the stats to back me up, but I would wager his save percentage is far superior in the second and third periods of games to what he puts up in the opening 20 minutes.
Tonight v Seattle being a good example.
With that in mind, let's let lobby the NHL to allow the Sabres play the second and third periods first.

• Haha
Reactions: oldgoalie

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
It's a combination of things attributing to UPL rise.. The biggest thing I'm seeing is his rebound control has drastically improved. But the natural progression of the DMen in front of him and UPL himself has been night and day.

Connor Clifton today is a different animal from the guy back in October

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

ironic error

1711198690540.png

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
He's turning into a beauty. Easily team MVP with Mitts gone to greener pastures.

After being OHL MVP and winning WJC Gold for Finland, my expectations were high. With some injuries and disappointing play behind him, seems he's finally putting it all together now, having just turned 25.

So happy for the guy, and the Sabres.

Kevyn, please don't mess this signing up.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I want to bring something up about our young Finn that has concerned me since I first saw him interviewed.
His smile.
He needs braces. Seriously needs them.
I'm the beneficiary of two parents who sacrificed financially during my middle school years to pay for braces.
I want the same result for Luukkonen.
Does anyone know of a Buffalo area orthodontist who I would gladly contact with idea of getting him/her to reach out to Sabres and Luukkonen?
The publicity possibilities of such an association could be of benefit to both, but ultimately, I'd just want Luukkonen to have a healthy/healthier set of teeth.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I want to bring something up about our young Finn that has concerned me since I first saw him interviewed.
His smile.
I'm the beneficiary of two parents who sacrificed financially during my middle school years to pay for braces.
Does anyone know of a Buffalo area orthodontist who I would gladly contact with idea of getting him/her to reach out to Sabres and Luukkonen?
The publicity possibilities of such an association could be of benefit to both, but ultimately, I'd just want Luukkonen to have a healthy/healthier set of teeth.
Should be an offseason move, We must protect 6k from any diet restrictions mid season, he said hes a fan of Honey Stinger waffles maybe we can get him a sponsorship with them.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
His smile.
Braces are free where Luukkonen grew up. Probably just didn't want braces.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Glad he was able to find his game and finish the year strong.

Really wish he was able to find his game at the beginning but with a 3 goalie rotation, I am sure it wouldn't be easy for any goalie to get in a rhythm..

Among goalies who played 50 games or more:

4th in GAA (5th if Demko gets one more game and doesn't massively puke on himself)
6th in Save percentage (8th if Demko and Daccord get one more start and don't soil themselves)

These numbers would have him on the fringes of the Vezina conversation if we were a better team.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Interesting that a bunch of the "insider" videos always seem to have Upie around the rink. The one with Dahlin where he saw him running and then in the shower and there is NO ONE else there.
country club. it better f***ing stop.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Interesting that a bunch of the "insider" videos always seem to have Upie around the rink. The one with Dahlin where he saw him running and then in the shower and there is NO ONE else there.
Not surprised, with their leader Okposo punching out at 4:00 on the button, and running out like Fred Flintstone at the end of a work day.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad