Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Member 308457

Tom Barasso came right out of high school and played on the Sabres. He won the Calder and the Vezina in his first year. Bring up UPL.

Something very sad has happened to this board. Nobody is posting anymore. This has become a real graveyard.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Tom Barasso came right out of high school and played on the Sabres. He won the Calder and the Vezina in his first year. Bring up UPL.

Something very sad has happened to this board. Nobody is posting anymore. This has become a real graveyard.

Barrasso did that almost 40 years ago.

UPL wasn't an above average AHL goalie last season. Given the current issues, he might get a look.

But, I think you are being overly optimistic to believe that he will step in and be an above average NHL goalie this season.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

goaltending in 1980 compared to now is enormously different. You’re not going to get a goalie that young to come in and play well.

style is different. Pads are different, the way a goalie reads the play is different. The technique is different.

but sure, let’s bring up UPL now because a goalie did it 40 years ago. :shakehead

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
goaltending in 1980 compared to now is enormously different. You’re not going to get a goalie that young to come in and play well.

style is different. Pads are different, the way a goalie reads the play is different. The technique is different.

but sure, let’s bring up UPL now because a goalie did it 40 years ago. :shakehead

There has been discussion for some time about goalies entering the league at a younger age.

Youth movement among goalies gaining traction

Goaltenders and Aging in the National Hockey League

I found this quote pretty interesting and it's very true:

Emerging over the past 15 years has been the best- and most intensely-trained generation of goaltenders ever seen in the NHL. Across the globe, young goaltenders now in their early 20s have been exposed to extensive professional coaching their entire lives. And the position has changed drastically in that time.

And in some ways, things are not changing. The age of entry into the NHL remains around 23 years old and the age of starters is only slowly decreasing from an average of 30.1 in 2000-01 to an average of 28.6 in both 2013-14 and 2014-15. There are no more very young goaltenders entering the league than there were a decade ago.

As long as young goalies are outplayed by 27-year-olds, that pattern will continue. The long development process for goaltenders pushes their NHL entry dates back, and the structure of the league mitigates against the need to push a 22-year-old into a position he isn’t ready for.

I know UPL was still recovering from hip surgery a years ago, but I'm a big proponent of bringing him up as a backup this year if he looks ready. Some of these kids are just ready because of the level of pro training they've had up to this point, it's just a matter of gaining mass and refining technique. I really don't buy that he needs to play a heavy workload and dominate in the AHL before making his way up here. We used to feel the same away about skaters - 'take your lumps riding the bus in the minors, earn your stripes and then we'll call you up to the show.' While this development methodology works for some, others are just ready to take that step.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There has been discussion for some time about goalies entering the league at a younger age.

I know UPL was still recovering from hip surgery a years ago, but I'm a big proponent of bringing him up as a backup this year if he looks ready. Some of these kids are just ready because of the level of pro training they've had up to this point, it's just a matter of gaining mass and refining technique. I really don't buy that he needs to play a heavy workload and dominate in the AHL before making his way up here. We used to feel the same away about skaters - 'take your lumps riding the bus in the minors, earn your stripes and then we'll call you up to the show.' While this development methodology works for some, others are just ready to take that step.

They have the added advantage this year of the taxi squad. Which would be a good way of getting him up here and in the goalie rotation.

UPL last season struggled in the AHL. This year he played well in Liiga. A league somewhat on par with the AHL. Hopefully he hits the ground running when the Amerks get going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
They have the added advantage this year of the taxi squad. Which would be a good way of getting him up here and in the rotation in goal.

UPL last season struggled in the AHL. This year he played well in Liiga. A league somewhat on par with the AHL. Hopefully he hits the ground running when the Amerks get going.

They say it takes about a year to recover from the hip surgery procedure that many goalies go through. I remember Ullmark struggled his first year after the procedure as well. Much like with our other young prospects, I think the pandemic provided a nice opportunity to strength train and work on flexibility, hopefully helping him further prepare his body.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I understand the youth movement at the position, but as @joshjull mentioned, performance counts. UPL did not light up the AHL.

unlike a skater, you can do irreversible damage to a goalie’s confidence by playing him up too early. A game or two to get an idea of the difference, then back down for more work and development? Sure. But jamming him into the NHL right now does nothing for UPL or the organization.

UPL needs games at a speed he can develop at. He’s not sharp with skate on post technique, still drops his glove to early, and over pushes on slides. He’s also only beginning to flow saves and positions together. He needs to get these fixed before coming to Buffalo. One season in Rochester, fixing his technical issues AND playing well, and then you bring him up.

Member 308457

Any better ideas? Let's have it.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
How about not messing up our only goalie prospect?
Not his fault that Adams is a laissez-faire leader.

Trade for Lukas Dostal :sarcasm:

In a more serious note I don't think Anaheim would trade him for what we would likely offer.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
They say it takes about a year to recover from the hip surgery procedure that many goalies go through. I remember Ullmark struggled his first year after the procedure as well. Much like with our other young prospects, I think the pandemic provided a nice opportunity to strength train and work on flexibility, hopefully helping him further prepare his body.
This is where I'm at as well... he's recently played well against grown men in Finland and now seems to be fully recovered from his hip surgery... this isn't 18 year old Marty Biron getting thrown to wolves while get absolutely smoked by Mario, Jaromir and the rest of that stacked Penguins team here, if it was then I'd definitely be agreeing with you here. We don't need him to come in and be our #1 or anything but getting him a few starts right now isn't going to destroy his career, lets be serious here. Hell anything is better than running JJ out there right now, he's been pure dog shit so far this year, we don't have a chance in hell to win with him between the pipes. I honestly think that Jack is gone after this year if we have the same exact shitty season with another bottom 10 finish, so we have to figure it out and fast. IMO anyways, hopefully I'm wrong.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is where I'm at as well... he's recently played well against grown men in Finland and now seems to be fully recovered from his hip surgery... this isn't 18 year old Marty Biron getting thrown to wolves while get absolutely smoked by Mario, Jaromir and the rest of that stacked Penguins team here, if it was then I'd definitely be agreeing with you here. We don't need him to come in and be our #1 or anything but getting him a few starts right now isn't going to destroy his career, lets be serious here. Hell anything is better than running JJ out there right now, he's been pure dog shit so far this year, we don't have a chance in hell to win with him between the pipes. I honestly think that Jack is gone after this year if we have the same exact shitty season with another bottom 10 finish, so we have to figure it out and fast. IMO anyways, hopefully I'm wrong.

I think there is a huge gap between elevating UPL ahead of JJ in the goalie depth chart once he has gone through quarantine and has had some practice time and expecting that UPL could be Tommy B 2.0.

I have no problem with trying to see where UPL is in his development after playing OK for TPS in 13 games. But, I also wouldn't expect him to be an above average NHL goalie right now given that had a .908 Save% for TPS. That was good for 7th in a 15 team league. So, he was around average for a goalie in Liiga while playing for a middle of the road team in TPS.

I am expecting UPL to be better than JJ and roughly the same as Hutton this season.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I think there is a huge gap between elevating UPL ahead of JJ in the goalie depth chart once he has gone through quarantine and has had some practice time and expecting that UPL could be Tommy B 2.0.

I have no problem with trying to see where UPL is in his development after playing OK for TPS in 13 games. But, I also wouldn't expect him to be an above average NHL goalie right now given that had a .908 Save% for TPS. That was good for 7th in a 15 team league. So, he was around average for a goalie in Liiga while playing for a middle of the road team in TPS.

I am expecting UPL to be better than JJ and roughly the same as Hutton this season.

He doesn’t need to be Tommy B. Let him be Tommy S, Tommy Salo!

5th round pick, became a starter with good numbers in D+3 year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He doesn’t need to be Tommy B. Let him be Tommy S, Tommy Salo!

5th round pick, became a starter with good numbers in D+3 year.

It was Salo's 4th post-draft season and his 3rd season as a North American pro where he turned into the Isles #1 goalie.

UPL's path has been slightly different in that his second post-draft season and his first in NA was when he played in the OHL.

Looking at one or two players from the entirety of NHL history isn't applicable to where UPL is at today in his development path.

If you look at Ullmark, UPL is at the point where Linus came over to NA for the first time and played 20 NHL games and 28 AHL games.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It was Salo's 4th post-draft season and his 3rd season as a North American pro where he turned into the Isles #1 goalie.

UPL's path has been slightly different in that his second post-draft season and his first in NA was when he played in the OHL.

Looking at one or two players from the entirety of NHL history isn't applicable to where UPL is at today in his development path.

If you look at Ullmark, UPL is at the point where Linus came over to NA for the first time and played 20 NHL games and 28 AHL games.

That and those Isles teams kept throwing goalies to the wolves. But then again, after the stats Salo put up for the Denver Grizzlies in the IHL, it made sense to give him an NHL shot.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

I used to post but can't even watch games anymore. I live north of Syracuse, over 3 hours from the arena but am still blacked out from NHL Center Ice. I can't get MSG on any source like HULU, Netflix, Amazon, etc. , and will never again pay Spectrum rates just to watch MSG. The Sabres and the NHL have a real problem right now with how they are marketing their product. SOo now I don't get to watch, and thus have nothing to say.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Goalies can make it to the NHL earlier if they are the type that rely on super quick reflexes. If they rely on their size and positioning, then experience is the bigger factor in them reading and predicting the play, knowing where defensemen will be and players are going to they can be in the right position all the time, ahead of time. I am not sure which UPL is, but I believe he is 6'4, so he probably relies on his size like JJ, Ullmark, and Portillo, so you will likely have to be patient with development. That said, we should have Ullmark starting 2/3 games in Buffalo, JJ and UPL splitting time in Roch. By next year one of the two replaces Hutton and Portillo get signed to play in Rochester.

Hutton should be replaced by anything this year. I would rather have JJ up here getting reps than Hutton wasting starts for this team.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I used to post but can't even watch games anymore. I live north of Syracuse, over 3 hours from the arena but am still blacked out from NHL Center Ice. I can't get MSG on any source like HULU, Netflix, Amazon, etc. , and will never again pay Spectrum rates just to watch MSG. The Sabres and the NHL have a real problem right now with how they are marketing their product. SOo now I don't get to watch, and thus have nothing to say.

Check your notification.

Member 308457

I have never seen more un-entertaining hockey games in my life. The players are rusty. Making passes to no one. The Sabres product has been terrible for years and it appears they are at the bottom of the barrel again. Eichel and Dahlin especially look like real out-of-synch losers.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hope he gets his first NHL start tonight against the Bruins.
You think this would be the right move giving him the first game sire? I surely think so. The game after is always much more difficult, so tokarski of course should play that one. And rest a bit during these. How likely would you say Ukko-Pekka is playing tonight sire?

Edit, also Ukko-Pekka would be facing Swayman, wich would be a fantastic matchup of course. Tokarski is the more experienced one, so he should face rask friday.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You think this would be the right move giving him the first game sire? I surely think so. The game after is always much more difficult, so tokarski of course should play that one. And rest a bit during these. How likely would you say Ukko-Pekka is playing tonight sire?

Edit, also Ukko-Pekka would be facing Swayman, wich would be a fantastic matchup of course. Tokarski is the more experienced one, so he should face rask friday.

Play Tokarski against the backup. Give the team the best chance of getting at least 1 win. If we beat Rask the next night, it's an added bonus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad