Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Member 308457

Goalies develop differently than other positions. Look at the start of Barasso's career. The Sabres were in need of a goalie so they tried out their 18 year old #1 draft choice. It worked. Sounds to me like this kid might be able at least knock one of the placeholder goalies off the Amerks right now.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Hope he's able to become another Rinne/Rask in the future. I don't want our future to solely rely on Saros.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
My first viewing

Man this kid is good. Kid always puts himself in a position to make the save.

If it wasn’t for him London takes it for sure

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Just robbed Foudy twice...one of which was a penalty shot in OT.

Let’s see if he can steal the shootout

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Update: Ukko is still rocking this league. Get excited for the Finnish team at the Juniors.

Reactions: Graves and ZZamboni

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Glad to hear it. I figured he would develop nicely. Some posters are massively impatient and judge too quickly.

CHL is the place for a goalie to develop IMO. Heavy schedule, lots of shots, and its the junior league most modelled after the NHL. He'll make a smooth transition to Rochester next year.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
How is this even possible? Sudbury was supposed to be garbage. Is he Hasek or what? I honestly can’t even believe he’s doing what he’s doing.

We were supposed to be middle of the pack this year, but i can forgive the assumption since we've been a sorry franchise for like 17 years.

The team is actually pretty decent, but he's the biggest reason we're 4th in the OHL. He's always standing on his head out there and keeping us in games we have no business being in.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That’s definitely exciting to hear. Looking forward to WJC

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
We were supposed to be middle of the pack this year, but i can forgive the assumption since we've been a sorry franchise for like 17 years.

The team is actually pretty decent, but he's the biggest reason we're 4th in the OHL. He's always standing on his head out there and keeping us in games we have no business being in.
Thanks for the report. Good to know. I thought they were supposed to be worse than middle of the pack this year. That makes sense.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
The Sabres really like to slow cook their goaltenders. It definitely paid off with Ullmark. I guess the question at this point is how many years do they let him play in junior before moving him to Rochester. He's probably at minimum 3 years away from seeing his first NHL game.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The Sabres really like to slow cook their goaltenders. It definitely paid off with Ullmark. I guess the question at this point is how many years do they let him play in junior before moving him to Rochester. He's probably at minimum 3 years away from seeing his first NHL game.
Most of the league tends to keep goalies away from regular NHL action until they're around 24. A player like Carter Hart is the exception rather than the rule.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ukko made 32 of 34 saves (and looked the part) as Finland beat Canada 5-2 in the final WJC pre-tournament game.

He looked much calmer and more in control than last year's U-20's. That said, he still struggled a bit with lateral puck movement and the Canadians flubbed a couple of wide open nets. He made some great saves though, very pleased with his game last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad