Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
As a Sudbury Wolves season ticket holder. You guys got a gem. He's very big, he's extremely flexible, and makes terrific saves. Plays the puck extremely well as well..
Thanks.

Please keep us updated on his play during the season, if you would.

Only 2 games in but sometimes you can just tell when a goalie has a gift for the position. A lot of Sudbury fans who have been around a long time are saying that he’s the best goaltender they’ve ever seen in Sudbury. That list includes Mike Smith and Andrew Raycroft.

Encouraging to hear!

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
UPL is currently ranked 4th place in the OHL for goalies rocking a 1.96GAA and a 0.929 SV%

He is playing the Ice Dogs this Thursday, I want to go see but I can't miss the Sabres season opener. I am torn.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Ukko is quite the goalie, if I had to pick on one thing, his lateral mobility could use some tightening up, he often move too far side to side, or too slowly. Outside of that he's an amazing goalie.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Only 2 games in but sometimes you can just tell when a goalie has a gift for the position. A lot of Sudbury fans who have been around a long time are saying that he’s the best goaltender they’ve ever seen in Sudbury. That list includes Mike Smith and Andrew Raycroft.

lol! I said this exact same thing recently.

Yeah he made 46/48 saves to get the win tonight. The guy is unreal. The biggest thing is he moves/skates like an NHL goalie. So fluid in the crease, it makes all the difference in the world. You have a serious goaltending prospect on your hands. Wait until the world juniors this year, I'd be surprised if he isn't the best goalie in the tournament. I know he struggled a bit last year but he was 18 in a 19 year old's tournament after all.

UPL is currently ranked 4th place in the OHL for goalies rocking a 1.96GAA and a 0.929 SV%

He is playing the Ice Dogs this Thursday, I want to go see but I can't miss the Sabres season opener. I am torn.

We have two more trips to Niagara this year. We're also in Erie tomorrow, but I can't confirm if he'll get the start or if the plan is to rest him after tonight.

Reactions: Rasmi

Robls

Sep 17, 2007
Otters fan here(Sabres too). Watched last night. Real sloppy game by both teams. UPL looked good. Only issue was his handling of puck behind the net. He is huge, and a terrific skater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freeeeedom

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Otters fan here(Sabres too). Watched last night. Real sloppy game by both teams. UPL looked good. Only issue was his handling of puck behind the net. He is huge, and a terrific skater.

Let him chill with Hutton for awhile - some of that stick work in the later pre-season games was impressive. Haven't seen that much aggressive puck handling by a goalie in Buffalo for a long time.

Whoa.. boards just puked big time. All that spam wasn't me.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
More than happy to be proven wrong by our players I am down on, especially a goalie since this is a problematic position. Havent watched him in the CHL obviously but the statsheet is saying good stuff about him, which is good for our franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freeeeedom

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
He's still doing phenomenal. With a mediocre roster like Sudbury, with a lack of top end talent. He's been stealing us games left and right.

He's won 5 in a row, now with .944 sv percentage. Thats pretty amazing considering we were the worst team in league last season...

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
If Hutton and Ullmark can hold the fort for a couple years, I really hope this kid can develop the right way with a couple years (at least) in Rochester. Slow cook this kid. See you in 3-4 years.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
He's still doing phenomenal. With a mediocre roster like Sudbury, with a lack of top end talent. He's been stealing us games left and right.

He's won 5 in a row, now with .944 sv percentage. Thats pretty amazing considering we were the worst team in league last season...

That's great to hear. How's his technical skills? I know with lehner and other goalies they were said to have been alright or big or "finding a way" but I'm really hoping we have some goalies in the pipeline that technically are very sound and the rest is just a way to help that out. Sounds like maybe he has that?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
That's great to hear. How's his technical skills? I know with lehner and other goalies they were said to have been alright or big or "finding a way" but I'm really hoping we have some goalies in the pipeline that technically are very sound and the rest is just a way to help that out. Sounds like maybe he has that?

Looks huge. He's quite flexible and can really stretch. Rarely way out of position. Like to play the puck. I'm a huge fan.

Not a perfect plain butterfly goalie like price. Not a floppy athleticism king like thomas. Idk maybe like Andy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad