OT: UFC THREAD (spoilers)

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
i used to astral travel to japan to catch every single pride fc event. Front row seats. An all inclusive backstage pass from the comfort of my own bed. So nobody here reserves the right to tell me anything about the history of pride. Okay?

pride never dies

Betamax*

Well, with the unfortunate ending of UFC 168's main event ... I think the idiom "Break a leg!" should be banned from any physical sport.

Tell me I'm wrong. :m-shocked:

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Man so much for that GSP vs Silva super fight... Ones retired and the other just had their career ended, no matter what that's a bad year for the UFC losing GSP and Silva all within a month.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'm sorry but the UFC is going the way of Poker.

Big for awhile but dropping off.

Sure there is still a fan base for it but just not interesting anymore.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I'm sorry but the UFC is going the way of Poker.

Big for awhile but dropping off.

Sure there is still a fan base for it but just not interesting anymore.

What do you base that off of? It still seems as big as ever around where I live, bars are filled up tons of house parties for it, they've lost a lot of big name fighters over the years and need to replace them.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
What do you base that off of? It still seems as big as ever around where I live, bars are filled up tons of house parties for it, they've lost a lot of big name fighters over the years and need to replace them.

These numbers for 1:

http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

Been in decline and with no Lesnar/GSP/Silva, I can only see it getting worst.

I'm not saying it's completely outdated but it's nothing like it was a few years ago.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
It started losing popularity when they got fight insurance. Wasn't there a streak of 8 or so cards that had the main event cancelled?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don't know, those numbers for this year are still pretty solid and that's just for ppv. But I do agree that its future is questionable with all the big names they've lost due to injuries and retirement and the lack of new guys to build the UFC around. I guess that's why he's allowing woman to fight now and has opened up the smaller guys division.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I don't know that there is less interest. They have many more options to see fights now and many more events. They don't just have the UFC once a month. Now they have the TV show, Fight Nights on Fox/Sportsnet, etc.

Also, a lot of fans are no longer paying for PPV and simply streaming it over the net for free.... I personally haven't paid for a PPV event in at least 2 years.... but I'm still watching. In fact, I don't know of a single friend of mine that pays for it any more when before several of us would each event.

I will agree that the UFC has a lack of really big name or interesting talent. They are losing many of their stars all within a few years. No more Chuck, Tito, Lesnar, Silva, GSP, Penn, Cro Cop, Hughes. The talent is certainly there, but the characters aren't.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Some big names have dropped off, to be sure. UFC are clearly banking on Rowsey to keep bringing in the dough, and she is a character, though not a well-liked one. Problem is, there really aren't too many capable challengers for her. Cat may be ok, and there may be a few coming up the ranks, but hard to see her losing or even really being challenged any time soon.

They had better treat Jon Jones right, is what I'm thinking right now.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I like that woman are fighting but if the UFC is banking on Rousey then it's doomed, there's just not enough talent in the woman's division yet. They've lost a lot of fighters they could build around, now they just don't have that talent pool, I'm sure it'll pick back up but right now the UFC had some major blows with GSP and Silva, no wonder why Dana got so pissed about GSP retiring, it'd be like the NHL losing Crosby.

Betamax*

Some big names have dropped off, to be sure. UFC are clearly banking on Rowsey to keep bringing in the dough, and she is a character, though not a well-liked one. Problem is, there really aren't too many capable challengers for her. Cat may be ok, and there may be a few coming up the ranks, but hard to see her losing or even really being challenged any time soon.

They had better treat Jon Jones right, is what I'm thinking right now.

Well, the UFC has a virtual monopoly ... it's not like JBJ has legitimate alternative options that would make business sense or otherwise .....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad