GDT: UFC on ESPN: Thompson vs. Holland/ONE on Prime Video 5/164: de Ridder vs. Malykhin

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I wonder if he hurt it on the big shot he landed in the first round that almost put wonderboy out.

Not the smartest of fights from Holland, but hard to be upset at a guy who would fight any and everyone.
With his deficiencies on the ground he'll never be a legit title contender I think he's embraced the anyone anytime anyplace mantra and just wants entertaining fights.9

Reactions: Taytro and CDJ

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Bisping just went in a little bit on Holland. Said this isn't a popularity contest. Do you want to be good or do you want to just have a fun time?

If Holland really is OK with just being an entertainer then that's fine I guess but he seemed pretty bummed in his post-fight interview. I'm a huge Holland fan and I just don't like the idea of giving away a potential win.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't know how to feel about Holland. It was a great fight, he looks like he had fun but on the other hand if he had maintained some of those ground positions he may have won this fight. It's like he went full Michael Chandler but is doing it a bit too early in his journey.
Ehh, Chandler gasses himself out early often trying to finish guys. I would say Holland wanted to prove he could beat Wonderboy in a striking match, and up until the hand injury, I thought Holland would get Thompson out of there. I can't believe the stikes Holland was absorbing where he didn't even flinch. Agree with the post above, keeping the top position when he had it may have helped him here but I'm never going to complain about an entertaining fight.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
With his deficiencies on the ground he'll never be a legit title contender I think he's embraced the anyone anytime anyplace mantra and just wants entertaining fights.9
Yeah its this. Do I think Holland wants to win fights? Yes. Do I think he wants to do it laying on top of his opponent with the crowd getting restless? No. He'd clearly much rather entertain a crowd and have fun than win a fight.

There's more than one way to make money in this sport, and he knows he doesn't have what it takes to be a champion so he's getting some job security and bigger paychecks by making sure people WANT to see him every time he steps in the cage. Dana loves him for stepping up when needed and making sure people want to watch him. Purists who focus on the competition side like Bisping might get mad, but I absolutely love it. Love the hype, love talking, love the smiling, and loved the fight. I'll tune in for him every time, and that's his marketing strategy and what he gets paid is based on.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
First 3 rounds were a lot of fun. Glad I watched it with a cup of coffee this morning instead of fighting to stay awake at 1:00am. Literally lol'ed when Holland, a Lutter black belt, ended up in a dominant position on the ground and popped up like he was a white belt going against a Lutter black belt. Probably cost him the fight, but that's who he is. It's not going to change now. R4 was tough to watch and I'm glad Holland/the corner didn't let him go back out for R5. Have still yet to see a striker convincingly beat Wonderboy.

Would love to see RDA get rewarded with the Conor fight. Dude's been in there with everybody who's anybody. I think it's a reasonably competitive fight as well as long as Conor can defend any of the takedowns.

Good win for Nicolau. Schnell's been finished in every one of his losses, so you don't want to be the guy that's not able to put him away.

Alright, Sergei. I'm a believer. Putting Lewis and Tuivasa away in under a minute is no easy feat. He's obviously got faith in his power, but he must have faith in his chin, too. Just standing right in the pocket with those guys. He's not brawling, though. It's much more technical than Tuivasa, but still taking on quite a bit of risk. Really curious to see what's next for him.

Crazy finish from Dolidze.

Maybe the best I've ever seen Anders look?

Price-Rowe was fun, but I hate when guys get that gassed in a 3 round fight.

Last edited:

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I wish Holland wouldn't have given up top position like that but at the end of the day it was a really good fight and card. I like both fighters and I'm glad they both had a good showing.

But even more than that I wish the UFC stops with the Apex bullshit. There's enough divisions and depth to put out more consistent fight nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad