GDT: UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Weidman

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I really don't want to see Weidman fight anymore. I think he has the talent to do whatever but the chin is glass now, it's over. Kills me.

member 51464

Retire, Weidman. You etched your name in history stopping the Silva buzzsaw. No need to turn yourself into a potato.

Reyes-Jones. Lets do it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Welp, if you're Reyes, you couldn't have drawn it up any better. Defend the takedown (for the most part), get the KO, and make a statement. No doubt he should get the shot at Jones.

Weidman, time to hang 'em up dude. Taking on just too much damage. 5 KO's in 6 fights. You had your time, but it's over.

member 51464

Also, where is Jonny Walker these days? He should be just a couple fights away from getting fed to Jon Jones too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Also, where is Jonny Walker these days? He should be just a couple fights away from getting fed to Jon Jones too.

He's fighting Corey Anderson at UFC 244 in a few weeks. Tough fight for him because of Anderson's style but he should be in the title mix with a win. Maybe one more win away after that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Walker certainly has the size and athleticism to challenge Jones, but as exciting as he is, he hasn't really beat anyone of note yet. Anderson is a good test, but I'd say he definitely needs another one after that to start legitimately calling for a title shot...especially with Reyes in front of him deserving a shot IMO.

member 51464

Walker certainly has the size and athleticism to challenge Jones, but as exciting as he is, he hasn't really beat anyone of note yet. Anderson is a good test, but I'd say he definitely needs another one after that to start legitimately calling for a title shot...especially with Reyes in front of him deserving a shot IMO.
Yeah, I knew Walker had a fight on the books I wasn't thinking of. So I was thinking that (Anderson) and then maybe a Jan, Santos, or Anthony Smith and he is right there. imo.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
As a Weidman fan this is getting tough to watch. In all the other losses you could at least say he was winning or tied. All those wars really took a toll. And not to take anything away from Reyes cause it was a well timed and precise shot, but that's not finishing Weidman six years ago.

Doesn't sound like he wants to but I feel like you have to retire at this point. This isn't something you can "work on".

I'm surprised Reyes wasn't a bigger favorite. This seemed like an inevitable outcome.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Weidman is done. Moving up did nothing for his chin, it's finished. Him and Rockhold both haven't been the same since they fought each other and both just need to retire now.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Reyes is the real deal. His striking is on another level at LHW. Jon Jones is going to be in trouble if he still thinks he's a great striker
I like Reyes but his performance against Volkan was disappointing. Hopefully that was just a one off blip, because the version of Reyes that fought Volkan would get wrecked by Jones.

Reactions: I am not exposed

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I like Reyes but his performance against Volkan was disappointing. Hopefully that was just a one off blip, because the version of Reyes that fought Volkan would get wrecked by Jones.
Not by the version of Jones that fought Smith and Santos.

Reactions: m9

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not by the version of Jones that fought Smith and Santos.
Eh, I wouldn't use the Anthony Smith fight as a negative lol. He basically fathered Smith for 25 minutes and made him cower in his corner repeatedly. Smith had absolutely nothing for him.

Santos yes gave Jon a very hard time.

Hard to say how good Jon is right now...if there is one potential area he could get exposed it would be boxing as Reyes has some pretty solid boxing while Jones' biggest weakness is his boxing. Plus Reyes has the size and height at least to match up with him though Jones still has that freakish reach over him. Thing with Jon is that he's a master at using elbow strikes and kicks to keep guys at range...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Reyes reach will be similar to someone like Gus who had success in the first fight.

It's a very interesting fight, mainly because of how awful Jones looked against Santos. He's looked progressively worse in his three fights since coming back.

Maybe the Santos fight was a wakeup call but if not it's a great opportunity for Reyes.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just discovered this board lol

I was at this event. The Joe Lauzon won is something I’ll remember forever

Weidman needs to retire because these are life-altering KO’s he’s suffering

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad