GDT: UFC on ESPN: Overeem vs. Harris

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Damn. That’s too bad. I really wanted Harris to win.

It looked like it was very close to being stopped for a second when Harris landed the hammer fist but Overeem did a good job of recovering. Nice comeback win for him.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I honestly don't understand how it wouldn't be obvious: it would've literally been like a Rocky movie on a show that will very likely be one of the most watched UFC on ESPN show ever.

Doubt it.

The story has been done. Tragic event. Don't see it going down that route even if he had won.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I gotta say heavyweight headkicks are p damn cool

Feel bad for Walt, but like Chael and Dana have already said this week he’s a winner regardless. He’s overcome the worst humanity has to offer. Had overeem on the ropes too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Cortney Casey made 150k for her fight. Florida reported how much each fighter made, Overeem got the most at 400k but Casey had 100k. Then she got the performance bonus. She made the 2nd most money on the card. That’s absolutely wild. Good for her.

Reactions: m9

member 51464

Odd to wait so long, but it seemed weird in the moment. Overeem was knocked down but not out and there were four seconds left.

I have no idea what that process actually is.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What percentage of fighters actually win those appeals? Has to be under 5%. Seems like a waste of time, unless he has some additional motives to do it.

member 51464

What percentage of fighters actually win those appeals? Has to be under 5%. Seems like a waste of time, unless he has some additional motives to do it.
I think his motive would be to try to argue to be part of a high profile or interim title fight judging from the totality of the interview.

Though maybe wasting time isn't an issue. If it's just a matter of dashing off a letter to a commission, it seems low risk and high reward.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think his motive would be to try to argue to be part of a high profile or interim title fight judging from the totality of the interview.

Though maybe wasting time isn't an issue. If it's just a matter of dashing off a letter to a commission, it seems low risk and high reward.

But there's no reward available because they never get overturned.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah that ain’t getting overturned when your lip was in the 3rd row and you had the googly eyes

sucks to lose a fight he was gonna probably take 50-45 but I can’t fault any action the ref took there. If you let a guy like Rozenstruik tee off on a defenseless man like that there could major consequences

Although I will say this weekends win/demonstration of heart makes his argument look better and more believable

member 51464

I unfortunately can only find one angle of the end of that fight. I can't tell from it if Jarzinho just was doing a Hunt style walk off knowing/assuming it was over or if the ref started waving it off first. But Overeem was conscious (though obviously very f***ed up, lol), so I don't know. He was just sitting there but I don't think it's an unreasonable move to argue he was waiting to decide to roll or whatever based on what the other fighter did.

Regardless, I mostly just think it's something Alistair said just to say on a podcast. He comes off like a pretty chill dude.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad