GDT: UFC on ESPN: Luque vs. dos Anjos/Bellator 298: Storley vs. Ward

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
When the main judging criteria is damage, and you look at Cubs face after the first round, you gotta wonder how any of the judges gave him that round let alone two of them.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
When the main judging criteria is damage, and you look at Cubs face after the first round, you gotta wonder how any of the judges gave him that round let alone two of them.
He broke his nose!

This is like watching the Bruins win a game 4-2 and the NHL saying the other team won. Like wtf are we even doing?

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
He broke his nose!

This is like watching the Bruins win a game 4-2 and the NHL saying the other team won. Like wtf are we even doing?
Especially when the announce team is talking about significant strike stats and Hakeem lead every round in significant strikes by like 30%.

Reactions: CDJ

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Cub is pretty classy. When he heard the call he had won, he immediately shook his head, no, in disagreement. He didn't celebrate. Said in the interview, "I thought I took more shots, but I'll have to watch it back."

Reactions: Taytro and CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Cub is pretty classy. When he heard the call he had won, he immediately shook his head, no, in disagreement. He didn't celebrate. Said in the interview, "I thought I took more shots, but I'll have to watch it back."
He even said "no" when asked if he thought he did enough to win. Cubs a good guy and understands the game, didn't want to take anything from Hakeem.

Reactions: td_ice

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I doubled down and emptied the rest of the gambling account on RDA

I blame the judges in the last fight for this loss as well

• Wow

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not a very enjoyable fight for the fans. I think RDA had more of a chance on the feet than he thought he did. He kept landing and doing damage, Luque didn't want to be on the feet. Seems like the only game plan was wrestling and when that didn't work he kept trying instead of audibling to striking, which was actually working.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Not a very enjoyable fight for the fans. I think RDA had more of a chance on the feet than he thought he did. He kept landing and doing damage, Luque didn't want to be on the feet. Seems like the only game plan was wrestling and when that didn't work he kept trying instead of audibling to striking, which was actually working.
Yeah, and RDA's corner tried to tell him that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I knew the main event could be a grindfest, I just didn't think it would be Luque doing a lot of the grinding. RDA initiated it a lot of the time, but Luque never really seemed to try and disengage when he had the chance. He just reversed the position and wore down the smaller guy. Not a fun fight, but a much needed win for Luque.

I don't think the co-main was that bad of a decision :dunno:Cub controlled the first 3min of R1 including cracking him once pretty good. Dawodu got back into it towards the end, but Cub was still landing some himself. Dawodu slightly outstruck him (by 6), but a lot of that was leg kicks. Toss up round. R2 Cub had some success early, then Dawodu did, then Dawodu ground him out along the fence for a bit, and then Cub had that flurry at the end of the round. Striking was basically even (Dawodu by 1). Again, toss up round. R3 I actually thought was Dawodu's. He outstruck him by 11 and was throwing with more intent, I thought. He caught him like 4 or 5 times pretty good. I think the judges gave Cub R3 because of the takedown, but he didn't really do much with it. All of this to say, it was a close fight.

Rountree can be a scary dude, but Daukaus is a glass cannon. In his 8 fights in the UFC, none have gone more than 7min. Unfortunately for him, that's 4 (T)KO's in a row. Granted all to pretty good guys, but still. This was a step down and he still got KO'ed inside 1 round.

Missed the main event but sounds like not worth the rewatch
Unless you like grinding along the fence, nope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad