GDT: UFC on ESPN: Barboza vs. Gaethje

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
WOW! That's why this sport is so crazy. Props to Emmet for not following that up with another bomb or 2 on the ground. Those are the shots that really make me cringe.

Reactions: member 51464

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
She has looked good recently and was in control for much of the fight. I think they need to cool it on the title talk though. She'll be up there in the rankings but Suarez has to be next in line if she beats Ansaroff.
I've never been more confident in someone becoming a champ as I have been since seeing Suarez on TUF. She's a f***ing monster. I'm going to feel like an idiot if she loses, but I just don't see anyone beating her and she absolutely should be next in line for a title shot after she beats Ansaroff.

I agree on cooling it with Waterson title talk. I like her as much as the next person, but she was ranked #9 and beat #6 in a decision. She will and should jump up, but the winner of Suarez-Ansaroff is the clear next contender. And Joanna NotChampion isn't far off if Andrade beats Rose. I think Waterson is getting that talk because she has a great story, is very likable, trains at a major camp, and she's attractive.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
David Branch finished Thiago Santos in the first round less than a year ago.
That's right. Does that show how stupid weight cutting is, how terrible the LHW division is, or how crazy this sport is?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That's right. Does that show how stupid weight cutting is, how terrible the LHW division is, or how crazy this sport is?

Probably all of the above. Sometimes it just comes down to timing, luck, and taking advantages of your opportunities.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It would be smart but also disappointing if Gaethje decided to use his wrestling for once.

member 51464

I loved Barboza's music choice coming out, haha.

I did not love any close-up of Gaethje, ever. His eyes creep me out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wow. Gaethje does it again. That fight lived up to the hype as long as it lasted.

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Easiest bet in the world, that the fight wouldn't go the distance.

Someone was getting knocked out.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Great win for Gaethje. Damn!

Wouldn't mind Gaethje vs. the winner of Al-Cowboy next. I guess it depends on Conor's situation, too.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There aren't many bad fights for him. I'd love to see him against any of those fighters ranked above him. Pettis and Lee too if they end up back at 155.
Agreed. It's really hard to predict with so many things up in the air. Who knows about Tony? Who knows how Max/Poirier or Al/Cowboy will play out? What will Conor do next?

I could get behind Pettis-Gaethje, too. Don't love Lee-Gaethje, but mainly because I don't like Lee.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Agreed. It's really hard to predict with so many things up in the air. Who knows about Tony? Who knows how Max/Poirier or Al/Cowboy will play out? What will Conor do next?

I could get behind Pettis-Gaethje, too. Don't love Lee-Gaethje, but mainly because I don't like Lee.
I thought Lee's moving up to welterweight. Not sure if Pettis would want to come back down to lightweight right away either.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I thought Lee's moving up to welterweight. Not sure if Pettis would want to come back down to lightweight right away either.
Well Pettis called out the winner of Gaethje-Barboza so.....

And Lee is fighting RDA at 170, but he hasn't said it's a permanent move. I think it's a case of looking for a fight...much like Pettis was.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

And Lee is fighting RDA at 170, but he hasn't said it's a permanent move. I think it's a case of looking for a fight...much like Pettis was.
I am not at all a fan of Pettis coming back down to LW. I think WW accomplishments stay in WW. Period. His last few LW fights he lost to Ferguson, beat Chiesa who was ranked like 12th IIRC, lost to Poirier before that at LW.

Gaethje just beat the #6, #1 is dealing with domestic abuse issues, #2 is dealing with legal issues, #3 has a fight next week, #4 has a fight after that in May, #5 is moving up to WW. Therefore, 1, 2 and 5 don't factor in the immediate future. Depending on who wins in the 3 and 4 fights, Gaethje should get a contender shot against one of them, or one of the winners of that contest. Pettis isn't a LW contender fight because he hasn't beaten any meaningful LWs in recent history. It's a different thing if you're like Max Holloway and you've won your division's belt, and now you want to challenge another division. But Gaethje has said he wants to fight those in front of him, and I believe that makes the most sense both for him and for the promotion.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I am not at all a fan of Pettis coming back down to LW. I think WW accomplishments stay in WW. Period. His last few LW fights he lost to Ferguson, beat Chiesa who was ranked like 12th IIRC, lost to Poirier before that at LW.

Gaethje just beat the #6, #1 is dealing with domestic abuse issues, #2 is dealing with legal issues, #3 has a fight next week, #4 has a fight after that in May, #5 is moving up to WW. Therefore, 1, 2 and 5 don't factor in the immediate future. Depending on who wins in the 3 and 4 fights, Gaethje should get a contender shot against one of them, or one of the winners of that contest. Pettis isn't a LW contender fight because he hasn't beaten any meaningful LWs in recent history. It's a different thing if you're like Max Holloway and you've won your division's belt, and now you want to challenge another division. But Gaethje has said he wants to fight those in front of him, and I believe that makes the most sense both for him and for the promotion.

He fought Poirer pretty recently. Al makes the most sense if he wins his fight against Cowboy.

Reactions: kabidjan18

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Ok I didn't realize he called out the winner of Gaethje/Barboza. Makes sense in that case. You might be right about Lee too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad