GDT: UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Spann/Bellator 266: Davis vs Romero

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Looks like Smith v Rakic. Should be a good one.

Last time it wasn't. Rakic is just bigger, faster, and stronger. Smith couldn't match his explosiveness. Love Smith so I really would prefer him to go after Reyes or something instead of Rakic.

member 51464

Romero definitely looking his age tonight. The guys you are fighting get stronger too 20 pounds up.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Smith, Tsarukyan, Maness, and Buckley all got POTN

thought Carlston Harris deserved one over Buckley imo

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Davis looked solid and did what he needed to do. Romero also fought in a very frustrating way once again.

Pretending you don’t know how many rounds a fight is supposed to be is a pretty creative excuse when you lose. Then again, it’s Romero so he may not be pretending.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One thing I’ll give Romero credit for is eating those knees to the body on the ground. He just stayed there and didn’t move or even try to cover up. GSP had Serra tapping in a similar position but Romero acted like it was nothing.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Smith looked great. It might end up being that he's just a step down from championship caliber, but dude's a fighter. I realized recently he's been in 52 MMA fights now. Only 5 of those have gone to the scorecard. That's f***ing nuts. As game as they come.

I'm not sure if it was the weight class or his age is starting to catch up to him, but Yoel looked terrible. As everyone said going into the fight, Davis is tough to look good against so certainly at least partial credit to him, but Yoel looked old.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m loving this Big Tuna fella who got the big upset over a Christian Edwards on the bellator card

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They keep asking "Why did Bellator match Romero up with Davis?" on MK because they both thought Bellator should have seen that coming.

I wonder if they knew that was coming and that's why they did it. Romero has fought for a UFC belt in 4 of his previous 5 fights and comes over to Bellator and gets beaten cleanly by a guy that got bounced in the first round of their tournament. I know there's a bunch of qualifiers (weight, age, layoff, etc.), but it still boils down to "Perrenial UFC title challenger loses in his Bellator debut."

Reactions: CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They keep asking "Why did Bellator match Romero up with Davis?" on MK because they both thought Bellator should have seen that coming.

I wonder if they knew that was coming and that's why they did it. Romero has fought for a UFC belt in 4 of his previous 5 fights and comes over to Bellator and gets beaten cleanly by a guy that got bounced in the first round of their tournament. I know there's a bunch of qualifiers (weight, age, layoff, etc.), but it still boils down to "Perrenial UFC title challenger loses in his Bellator debut."

I don’t think they operate that way. I could see it if it was the other way around with someone going to the UFC but not here. Bellator likely paid quite a bit for Romero to sign and remember they originally put him against Rumble in a fight they were hyping up quite a bit. Davis was probably just the next biggest name at LHW so they went with it.

They should just go back to that Rumble vs. Romero fight now since neither guy is in the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad