GDT: UFC Fight Night: Gaethje vs. Vick

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A quick finish where he took zero damage was exactly the kind of performance Gaethje needed to have. Vick had no idea where he was for some time after that shot.

There were some good fights and finishes on this card. Figueiredo was really impressive.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
A quick finish where he took zero damage was exactly the kind of performance Gaethje needed to have. Vick had no idea where he was for some time after that shot.

There were some good fights and finishes on this card. Figueiredo was really impressive.

Yep. Glad to see because the damage he took in his first three UFC fights was not good.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nice to see Gaethje take care of business. I know he said he only has a few fights left anyway, so hopefully they book him some good ones. There's so many big lightweight fights coming up that once they get figured out we'll get a better idea who he should get in there with next.

Good time for Ellenberger to call it a career. He's been on a bad run for awhile now and some of those losses have been pretty vicious. There was a short time when I thought the only two people who could challenge GSP at 170lbs were Anthony Johnson and Jake Ellenberger.

Really, really impressed by Figueiredo. I don't know how high he can go at 125lbs, but nice to see some new blood at the top of the division.

Anders got off to a brutal start, but picked things up and that was an awesome KO. People were talking about Gaethje having a "KO of the year" type finish, but Anders was the one for me. Great finish, and great timing to make it legal.

Watching TUF Brazil, Warlley Alves was the one guy I thought could eventually challenge for a title. Looked great at 185lbs. Now he's getting KO'd by guys who fight at 155 lbs. Think I missed on that one.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Easy to say when he gets knocked out in the first 2 min, but when I saw Vick's face as soon as the fight was about to start, I knew he was in trouble. He looked scared. He's going to need a long layoff after that knock out.

That was exactly the fight Gaethje needed. Not only broke the losing streak, but did it in exciting fashion and took basically zero damage. I still don't think he's well rounded enough (or too stubborn) to compete with the top guys in the division though.

You know a fight that might make sense from the UFC's point of view? Gaethje vs. Nate. Both are big draws regardless of their rankings. Both are more concerned about getting big fights than chasing the belt. Both are fan favorites. Both usually ignore their good ground games and throw down. Both are tough outs. I might not necessarily like it, but it's the blood'n'guts type of fight the UFC and fans like. It would be one of the bigger Fight Night main events ever or could be a co-main on a PPV.

....with Nate's heavy front leg and Gaethje's leg kicks, though, Nate might not ever be able to walk again.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I really wish I had put money down on this fight. Gaethje was at +125 before the fight for any kind of win. I gave it some thought but passed, really regret it in hindsight.

Gaethje's instagram post about the fight is also hilarious btw. Love the Simpsons clip he uses :laugh:

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad