GDT: UFC 292: Sterling vs. O'Malley/PFL 8

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Maybe a little, but I already thought that was the most likely scenario.

I will say for O'Malley, he didn't look lost on the ground. He was able to get back up a few times and didn't take a ton of damage while down there. I think Sterling is a slightly better grappler than Yan, though, and I don't think he's going to be as willing to strike with him as Yan was.

The key to the fight in my mind is O'Malley staying off the cage. If he lets Sterling push him against the cage, that's a wrap. Sterling will control him there, dump him on the ground a few times, and just methodically beat on him. If O'Malley can keep it in the center, he has a fighting chance.
Agreed. I just watched the Yan fight again and O'Malley was able to get up with relative ease several times. Sterling stated in a recent interview he's going to take O'Malley down, also hinted this will be his last fight at bantamweight.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agreed. I just watched the Yan fight again and O'Malley was able to get up with relative ease several times. Sterling stated in a recent interview he's going to take O'Malley down, also hinted this will be his last fight at bantamweight.
Yep. I think it's fair to question whether Sterling will be able to hold him down better than Yan did, though. I also think O'Malley had less of an answer for being held against the cage. That's why I think staying off the cage will be key for him.

I'm pretty skeptical of wrestlers moving up in weight. I think the only reason he's considering it is because of the Merab situation. IF Sterling vacates and Merab doesn't win the belt, I think we'd see Sterling move back down.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yep. I think it's fair to question whether Sterling will be able to hold him down better than Yan did, though. I also think O'Malley had less of an answer for being held against the cage. That's why I think staying off the cage will be key for him.

I'm pretty skeptical of wrestlers moving up in weight. I think the only reason he's considering it is because of the Merab situation. IF Sterling vacates and Merab doesn't win the belt, I think we'd see Sterling move back down.

Would they even give Sterling a title shot going up straight away? I don't think that would go well for him against Volk.

I don't feel like Sterling moves the needle in a 'superfight'. He's not exactly popular. Hell, he got booed against Yan in their second fight in the US. Yan the Russian! lol

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Would they even give Sterling a title shot going up straight away? I don't think that would go well for him against Volk.

I don't feel like Sterling moves the needle in a 'superfight'. He's not exactly popular. Hell, he got booed against Yan in their second fight in the US. Yan the Russian! lol

I think he'll get an immediate title shot if the timing works out. But if they do Volk/Topuria it might not be until the end of this year so it could be a long wait for Sterling.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Oh, no, I don't think so. I think they'd give him like top 5 guy, though, and if he won that then a title shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Who else is there for Volk to fight though after Topuria?

Nobody's ready. Evloev probably the closest but he needs a win vs a top guy.

Allen & Ortega same boat - could get it, but need a top win.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

He's definitely unpopular lol.

The only way I think he'd get an immediate shot is if the fight with O'Malley is both exciting and a crazy finish for Sterling, or if someone at FW pulls out and they need a short notice replacement.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve actually seen that dude fight before, he beat former NBA player/notorious misogynist/political troll Royce White

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This season from PFL has been a complete embarrassment... something new every week

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This season from PFL has been a complete embarrassment... something new every week
Still don't get why they paired their two weakest divisions this year anyways. This year has almost felt like a write off for them setting up for the future, they need to have a big year next year

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Still don't get why they paired their two weakest divisions this year anyways. This year has almost felt like a write off for them setting up for the future, they need to have a big year next year

No pun intended, but their entire product has seemed unprofessional for a very long time now. The whole thing reeks of poor management.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No pun intended, but their entire product has seemed unprofessional for a very long time now. The whole thing reeks of poor management.
They reek of being owned/ran by pure business guys that don't really get the fight business. If they bring in Coker after a Bellator purchase, I think that would help them out a lot.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They reek of being owned/ran by pure business guys that don't really get the fight business. If they bring in Coker after a Bellator purchase, I think that would help them out a lot.
💯

They did a great job of getting attention and raising money, but they need someone who understands combat sports promotion. I'm not convinced there is anybody better than Coker. Obviously the UFC is bigger and better, but they had such a massive head start on Strikeforce and Bellator.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad