Orange County, CA
1688397609136.png

Date: July 8, 2023
Venue: T-Mobile Arena
City: Las Vegas, Nevada
Time: 10 pm ET/7 pm PT
Viewing: PPV

MAIN CARD (PPV)

Featherweight Championship bout: Alexander Volkanovski (c) vs. Yair Rodriguez (ic)
Flyweight Championship bout: Brandon Moreno (c) vs. Alexandre Pantoja
Middleweight bout: Robert Whittaker vs. Dricus du Plessis
Lightweight bout: Jalin Turner vs. Dan Hooker
Middleweight bout: Bo Nickal vs. Val Woodburn

PRELIMINARY CARD (ABC, TSN5)

Welterweight bout: Robbie Lawler vs. Niko Price
Catchweight (130 lb) bout: Tatsuro Taira vs. Edgar Chairez
Women's Strawweight bout: Yazmin Jauregui vs. Denis Gomes
Light Heavyweight bout: Jimmy Crute vs. Alonzo Menifield

EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Light Heavyweight bout: Vitor Petrino vs. Marcin Prachnio
Bantamweight bout: Cameron Saaiman vs. Terrence Mitchell
Flyweight bout: Shannon Ross vs. Jesus Aguilar
Lightweight bout: Kamuela Kirk vs. Esteban Ribovics​

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
About time! A UFC card to get excited about!

Predictions for the main card in bold. Some very fun looking fights on the prelims as well.

Featherweight Championship bout: Alexander Volkanovski (c) vs. Yair Rodriguez (ic) (I think Yair is really dangerous. Think Volk will just have enough though. Tough call tbh).

Flyweight Championship bout: Brandon Moreno (c) vs. Alexandre Pantoja (Well Pantoja seems to be Moreno's boogie man, but I'm going for Moreno this fight).

Middleweight bout: Robert Whittaker vs. Dricus du Plessis (Logic indicates Whittaker should win this. But logic seems to fly out of the window when it comes to du Plessis fights! I'm saying this is a step too much for du Plessis and he finally loses).

Lightweight bout: Jalin Turner vs. Dan Hooker (This was the easiest one to pick. Turner has looked really good recently, and Hooker hasn't. Turner finishes him in the 1st or 2nd round)

Middleweight bout: Bo Nickal vs. Tresean Gore (I think I saw Gore fight once. Hard one to pick as I don't know either that well. I know Nickal is an elite wrestler, but he hasn't really been tested at UFC level really. Maybe Gore does that. Going for Nickal but I'm not happy with this pick.)

Reactions: 16Skippy and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The two title fights should be really competitive. The rest of the main card & prelims are all interesting.

This is a step down from some other fight week cards and just feels like a good PPV card. Nice to finally get a good PPV, though.

Reactions: 16Skippy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I haven't.
I only know Khakorov from bellator and Nuzzi from a PFL card late last year. Can’t even say I’ve seen them a lot. Once each. It will be interesting to see what they do with their different brands

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
This is a really weird card for me due to the fall out from the title fights if the challenger wins. If Yair wins, youd expect an immediate rematch. However if not, then you have someone in Max who recently beat Yair and is always in number one contender territory and would have to be the fight you book if you want to stay true to the sport. Unfortunately you can't really do Max vs Yair 2 becuase if Max beats Yair that sets up Max vs Volk 13, which is just not going to happen. I don't think you can sell that after their last fight and the fact Volk is 3-0 (on paper).

Similarly, if Pantoja beats Moreno convincingly and they don't do an immediate rematch, then you have Deiveson who could step up and say "well I'm better than that guy, I've beaten him before, put me in there". Obviously I know he wants to be up at bantamweight but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to ask for the fight if Pantoja wins. Potentially setting up another Moreno vs Figgy, which the UFC wouldn't like.

A lot of ifs/maybes that most likely won't happen. BUT, it could and that's interesting.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is a really weird card for me due to the fall out from the title fights if the challenger wins. If Yair wins, youd expect an immediate rematch. However if not, then you have someone in Max who recently beat Yair and is always in number one contender territory and would have to be the fight you book if you want to stay true to the sport. Unfortunately you can't really do Max vs Yair 2 becuase if Max beats Yair that sets up Max vs Volk 13, which is just not going to happen. I don't think you can sell that after their last fight and the fact Volk is 3-0 (on paper).

Similarly, if Pantoja beats Moreno convincingly and they don't do an immediate rematch, then you have Deiveson who could step up and say "well I'm better than that guy, I've beaten him before, put me in there". Obviously I know he wants to be up at bantamweight but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to ask for the fight if Pantoja wins. Potentially setting up another Moreno vs Figgy, which the UFC wouldn't like.

A lot of ifs/maybes that most likely won't happen. BUT, it could and that's interesting

I don't think the fallout from either title fight will that crazy.

I think if Pantoja wins there's a chance you get an immediate rematch, but I also think regardless of who wins you've got Royval on deck here. I don't think Fig even factors in.

The next title fight at 145lbs is interesting but there are tons of options and none of them include Max. If Yair wins, yeah you might see a rematch right away. If Volk wins, I think there's a chance they do Sterling v Volk next but you've also got Topuria who could slot in there.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Let's see what no name they come up with here

Unless it's controversial/super close I don't see why Moreno warrants an immediate rematch. Him and figgy been tying up that division for years and if pantoja wins it'll be nice to get some new blood.

Opposite for volk... unless he just gets straight up dominated he should warrant an immediate rematch if he loses.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gore is an athletic tomato can, they’ll probably just replace him with unathletic tomato can

• Haha

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gore is an athletic tomato can, they’ll probably just replace him with unathletic tomato can

Yeah this was kind of a lame matchup to begin with.

Brutal by Gore getting injured/pulling out a few days before the biggest fight of his career

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Should be pretty light work for Bo, but at least they saved the fight.

Last edited:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I keep seeing volk with a bandage under his eye and couldn't find anything on the usual sites. I searched it on Twitter I have no idea who this guy is but it's the only comment I saw....

• Wow
Reactions: 16Skippy

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I keep seeing volk with a bandage under his eye and couldn't find anything on the usual sites. I searched it on Twitter I have no idea who this guy is but it's the only comment I saw....

He was on MMA Hour. Described it as "a scratch", just wanted to make sure it didn't get infected

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad