GDT: UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Seeing people score round 2 for Diaz is the funniest **** I've ever seen.

"You got knocked down twice bro, but you still won!" LMFAO

Not as ridiculous as you may think. Conor started strong and yes he had 2 knockdowns but Diaz was lighting him up in the 2nd half and landed 3 more significants strike than McGregor. The 2 early KD did not make the round a one sided beating affair.

In retrospect giving McG the 2nd was probably the right decision but it was close. Same with the 5th

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What was he advancing? Where was the complete control? McGregor actually reversed the clinch at put Diaz against the cage in the minute before the takedown.

What damage did Diaz do when he had that "complete control" ? I'll help: none. Not much that was landed in that final round in terms of relevance.

He was pressuring Conor, Conor was running away from him, that used in scoring. And wow, he reversed the clinch, but the 2-3 mins Nate had Conor up against the cage means nothing I guess. Also, Conor didn't land **** all in the final round either.

Nate won that round, simple as that.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
He was pressuring Conor, Conor was running away from him, that used in scoring. And wow, he reversed the clinch, but the 2-3 mins Nate had Conor up against the cage means nothing I guess. Also, Conor didn't land **** all in the final round either.

We didn't see the same 5th round i guess.

I saw Conor landing some while Nate nothing, and the take down at the end. With no significant landings on the ground work.
10-9 is ok dor me.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Conor needs to go back down. He sure as hell didn't look as invincible as he has against Diaz.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

No it's not as simple as that. Nobody from where I was had Nate winning the last round. Conor had more effective striking in the 5th and that saved him.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I had rounds 2,3,5 to Nate but it could be cause that's how I wanted it to happen lol. I could easily see 2 being Conor's as well. All in all good fight. The card destroyed 200 imo

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Typical Diaz brother excuses. I remember Nick offering about a half dozen reasons as to why he easily lost to GSP. They apparently never lose fights fairly.

We all know how the story of the Diaz brothers is going to end. Hopefully they don't take anyone with them. #CTE

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
The 2nd round was the decisive one but you can't argue against knockdowns.

As much as I love the Diaz bros, they are such sore losers. They have never once accepted a loss without citing injuries, conspiracy theories, etc.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The best part about the whole thing is that the best thing for Nate Diaz was to lose that decision exactly like he did. Now he's setup for a third massive payday, and from there can do whatever he wants. Knowing him, he might just walk away after the third fight. A decision win last night does almost nothing for him, and certainly would have hurt him financially.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
The 2nd round was the decisive one but you can't argue against knockdowns.

As much as I love the Diaz bros, they are such sore losers. They have never once accepted a loss without citing injuries, conspiracy theories, etc.

Pretty much. Conor still had a lot of holes in his game. With that said, he matches up reeally well with Cowboy and Eddie.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
IDK about Alvarez. I feel like it would be just like the Pettis matchup, where Alvarez just wrestle****s him the whole fight.

Cerrone fight would be an easy one for McG. One body shot/kick and the fight is over.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
McGregor knows nothing about point fighting and Diaz is an expert at it. I was impressed by Diaz's approach to this fight. He wanted to drag him into the deep waters and his chin really helped him withstand the early barrage that McGregor put on him. Then Diaz exhibited his superior gas tank. I really think if not for the swelling around Diaz's eyes that we would have seen a much different ending to that fight.

It does seem that McGregor had a few chances to finish this fight in the first two rounds but refused to approach Diaz in his guard. Instead he kept waiving him back to his feet in hopes that he could knock him out. I think Nate is the first guy that he has run into with a world class chin and he didn't know how to handle the fact that he couldn't put him away, so he gassed himself trying to do it. I think McGregor became unraveled a bit when he couldn't put him away and that anxiety let Diaz back in the fight. If anything, Diaz has put the blueprint together on how to frustrate McGregor and it's up to him at this point to see if he can adjust and learn how to be a more complete fighter. Diaz isn't even in his zip code in terms of technical skills and he came damn close to losing both fights.

I noticed something interesting about Diaz's striking last night. He was throwing McGregor for a loop with all his timing. Diaz would push the jab out there with no intention of hitting him and just kind of flail his arms around waiting for McGregor to feel comfortable with the fact that those strikes were out of range and as soon as McGregor relaxed, Diaz would jump in with a quick shot and get his attention back. He scored a ton of points by rolling his hands and being unpredictable about when that jab was coming out. He did it with his legs too throwing roundhouse kicks when McGregor was nowhere near him.

Credit to Diaz as well for eating those leg kicks and not showing as much visible pain as it had to have caused him. He's so heavy on that front leg that Connor's gameplan to come out and chop him down would have worked had he not almost abandoned that at the first sign of danger. I don't think McGregor's coaching did him any favors by not being all in his ear about that. He took a lot of bounce out of Diaz and was frustrating him immensely with those leg kicks but he decided to box with Nate and it almost cost him the fight.

Just a weird, weird matchup. Guys with this big of a disparity in talent aren't supposed to have fights like this but Diaz is just a horrible matchup stylistically. If I were managing McGregor, I wouldn't let him take on Diaz again even at 155.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
McGregor knows nothing about point fighting and Diaz is an expert at it. I was impressed by Diaz's approach to this fight. He wanted to drag him into the deep waters and his chin really helped him withstand the early barrage that McGregor put on him. Then Diaz exhibited his superior gas tank. I really think if not for the swelling around Diaz's eyes that we would have seen a much different ending to that fight.

It does seem that McGregor had a few chances to finish this fight in the first two rounds but refused to approach Diaz in his guard. Instead he kept waiving him back to his feet in hopes that he could knock him out. I think Nate is the first guy that he has run into with a world class chin and he didn't know how to handle the fact that he couldn't put him away, so he gassed himself trying to do it. I think McGregor became unraveled a bit when he couldn't put him away and that anxiety let Diaz back in the fight. If anything, Diaz has put the blueprint together on how to frustrate McGregor and it's up to him at this point to see if he can adjust and learn how to be a more complete fighter. Diaz isn't even in his zip code in terms of technical skills and he came damn close to losing both fights.

I noticed something interesting about Diaz's striking last night. He was throwing McGregor for a loop with all his timing. Diaz would push the jab out there with no intention of hitting him and just kind of flail his arms around waiting for McGregor to feel comfortable with the fact that those strikes were out of range and as soon as McGregor relaxed, Diaz would jump in with a quick shot and get his attention back. He scored a ton of points by rolling his hands and being unpredictable about when that jab was coming out. He did it with his legs too throwing roundhouse kicks when McGregor was nowhere near him.

Credit to Diaz as well for eating those leg kicks and not showing as much visible pain as it had to have caused him. He's so heavy on that front leg that Connor's gameplan to come out and chop him down would have worked had he not almost abandoned that at the first sign of danger. I don't think McGregor's coaching did him any favors by not being all in his ear about that. He took a lot of bounce out of Diaz and was frustrating him immensely with those leg kicks but he decided to box with Nate and it almost cost him the fight.

Just a weird, weird matchup. Guys with this big of a disparity in talent aren't supposed to have fights like this but Diaz is just a horrible matchup stylistically. If I were managing McGregor, I wouldn't let him take on Diaz again even at 155.

Wow, reading this recap you would think Diaz blew him out of the water. Talk about a one-sided look at the fight.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wow, reading this recap you would think Diaz blew him out of the water. Talk about a one-sided look at the fight.

If that's how it came across, that wasn't how it was intended. I was just impressed with Diaz because of how outclassed he was and how he still made it a competitive fight. I put that on McGregor more than Diaz, which is probably why it sounded so critical. I do feel like McGregor better go to school on how he approached this 5 round fight and learn something from it. If he hadn't put an absolute world of hurt on Diaz in the first round in particular this could have ended very badly for him. Taking out that plant leg was a key part of the strategy and it worked like a charm. I didn't like seeing him abandon that.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If that's how it came across, that wasn't how it was intended. I was just impressed with Diaz because of how outclassed he was and how he still made it a competitive fight. I put that on McGregor more than Diaz, which is probably why it sounded so critical. I do feel like McGregor better go to school on how he approached this 5 round fight and learn something from it. If he hadn't put an absolute world of hurt on Diaz in the first round in particular this could have ended very badly for him. Taking out that plant leg was a key part of the strategy and it worked like a charm. I didn't like seeing him abandon that.

It almost had the "Rocky Balboa vs Apollo Creed" feel to the fight. Mind you with a much douchier Rocky. Diaz is a tough mofo

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Nate started checking those and Conor's shin was busted. He was on crutches backstage.

Yeah, he said his ankle was hurt from practicing legkicks before the fight and a bit swollen, but he said he just blasted his shin on Diaz' knee and it is in a world of hurt.

Edit: Right at the start of round 3. Almost missed it because focus was on Conor's gas tank. But Diaz checks and early kick and you can see Conor start hobbling himself

Last edited:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I thought McGregor won the fight. I hope he defends his belt against Aldo before we see a trilogy with Diaz. The Aldo that fought Edgar in July would give McGregor fits. I wouldn't mind seeing Edgar fight McGregor, too.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think things are that complicated. McGregor is a striker without a real ground game and he legit can't knock out Diaz at 170. That's an awful matchup and it was a huge gamble for McGregor to fight him again. But it may have been a very useful exercise to force himself into thinking about the bigger picture of a fight.

But I think he knows by now that he probably loses 2 out of 3 vs Diaz at 170. And not because Diaz is a great mixed martial 'artist' but because he's basically immune to McGregor's primary weapon. McGregor will take the third fight because it's guaranteed to be a big payday and that's the number one thing, but he will only take it at 155 because he thinks there's a chance he can knock him out at 155.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Nate's chin is not any different at 155 vs 170. I don't see how McG would lose 2/3 at 170. Diaz brothers never make any adjustments, Conor would just need to do the same thing. Work on cardio, kick legs, profit.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Added weight makes it easier to absorb punches, a heavyweight can take more damage than a featherweight, at least that's the theory.

The problem for Conor is that if he can't knock a dude out and needs to go for the long game, he's always gonna be in a risky place. I think Conor won this fight fair and square but he was in real danger of losing it. Both in the first and second fight, it's felt like McGregor had the hairier moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad