Speculation: UFAs this Summer

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Ilya Mikeyev fits what HuGo seems to want to build. Size and speed.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Ilya Mikeyev fits what HuGo seems to want to build. Size and speed.
Where's the hockey sense though? Fine defensively from what I've seen, but a lot of skating to nowhere.

If we're going for size and speed, I'd like to find a guy that can pull the puck off the boards and work within the cycle. We've got more than enough guys that can score off the rush, but we really struggle once play is set in the offensive zone IMO. I'd take a look at Nichushkin.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Wouldn't mind making a splash in FA if Price comes back this season and looks good. This entire year was a write off but the habs should make the playoffs with a healthy price and a couple additions (one top 6 and one top 4 to replace Petry)

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Where's the hockey sense though? Fine defensively from what I've seen, but a lot of skating to nowhere.

If we're going for size and speed, I'd like to find a guy that can pull the puck off the boards and work within the cycle. We've got more than enough guys that can score off the rush, but we really struggle once play is set in the offensive zone IMO. I'd take a look at Nichushkin.
Agreed. He's the modern day Jan Bulis. He'd just be frustrating to watch.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Bergevin's success at the beginning was a results of his predecessors cause his core players was almost 100% given to him. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Markov, Plekanec, Eller, Gorges.....

What proven kids or vets did Bergevin left HuGo?
Price, Gallagher....those he was given.....a couple of unproven, undevelopped prospect where all the work needs to be done. And we now 100% know that he was going to screw up Romanov, Suzuki and Caufield by backing a terrible coach like Ducharme, there was no way he was firing him this season.

It's not the same situation at all.
Thanks to prove my point about the double standards.
Anderson, Romanov, Petry, Edmunston, Chiarot, Allen, Dvorak, Byron, Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia and Savard are all unproven vets ???
Of course you are right...........you are always right!!
Not sure you wanna die on the hill, defending your fave GM.
Ask yourself one question...........Do you as a GM want to inherit a team with a 24 yr old HOF goalie, or a 34 yr old HOF goalie....
He did inherit a better situation than he left....we all know it. We are in cap hell, at the moment, and Bergevin had TWO free buyouts....the list goes on and on....
Bergevin dropped the ball and it's not that hard to admit.
10 years into the job and he build a bottom feeder.
Our new regime has their work cut out for them, luckily they seem to be suing their brains to get us out of a tough situation. Bergevin simply used Price and rode him like a mule to fix his problems.
2 x speeches once again.
The one of a GM that inherits a "very good "team that finished 29th vs a gm that inherits a "very bad team" that will finished between 28-32th .
The one that got a very good core in Price, Maxpac, Markov and Subban vs the one that got nothing else then an old Price. No words about Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Toffoli, Hoffman, Gallagher, Allen, Romanov, Chiarot, Edmunston, Dvorak, Evans, Byron.

I am not stupid you know, i am awarded of the d-men situation right now. But i am also in the know that we have a list of Guhle , Mailloux, Harris, Xhekaj , Norlinder and struble . I know that in the front we have Ylönen, Mysak, Kidney, Biondi, Farrel, Stapley and Roy that are all doing a great job in their respective league. We are far from the Leblanc/Tinordi that Bergevin has inherited .

Anyway, this is an empty conversation we have had hundreds of time and that will never end in a consensus. There are fans like you, that give all the good to someone and blame another for all the bad . I will never be a black or white fan as you are. I am in a grey zone and wish that Hughes will do a great job, that he will get good players and that St-Louis will be a great coach, as he seems to be until now.

Enjoy your end of evening

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
We need to really be thinking about a long term rebuild here. I find myself falling into the trap after a few outstanding Suzuki/Caufield games of wanting that quick fix, but at the end of the day, we need to just allow this team start from the ground up.

Top 3 pick this year of Wright, Slaf, Cooley

Top 3 pick next year of Bedard, Michkov or Fantilli

Kiviharju coming up in 2024.

If we can somehow land 1 of those from 2022 and 1 of those from 2023 I'd be very happy. Add in Kivi in 2024 and we are set. Oiler lottery luck is what we need for three straight years.

2025 starting line

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Roy - Bedard - Anderson
Ylonen - Kidney - Gally
Gaucher - Evans - Farrell

Barron - Guhle
Romanov - Kivi
Harris - Mailloux

Any UFA's should be short term. I'll stop dreaming and fantasizing now
My 2 year old will likely go first overall in 2043. Just have to extend the rebuild baby! Full Oilers!

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Anderson, Romanov, Petry, Edmunston, Chiarot, Allen, Dvorak, Byron, Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia and Savard are all unproven vets ???

2 x speeches once again.
The one of a GM that inherits a "very good "team that finished 29th vs a gm that inherits a "very bad team" that will finished between 28-32th .
The one that got a very good core in Price, Maxpac, Markov and Subban vs the one that got nothing else then an old Price. No words about Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Toffoli, Hoffman, Gallagher, Allen, Romanov, Chiarot, Edmunston, Dvorak, Evans, Byron.

I am not stupid you know, i am awarded of the d-men situation right now. But i am also in the know that we have a list of Guhle , Mailloux, Harris, Xhekaj , Norlinder and struble . I know that in the front we have Ylönen, Mysak, Kidney, Biondi, Farrel, Stapley and Roy that are all doing a great job in their respective league. We are far from the Leblanc/Tinordi that Bergevin has inherited .

Anyway, this is an empty conversation we have had hundreds of time and that will never end in a consensus. There are fans like you, that give all the good to someone and blame another for all the bad . I will never be a black or white fan as you are. I am in a grey zone and wish that Hughes will do a great job, that he will get good players and that St-Louis will be a great coach, as he seems to be until now.

Plekanec was a top 2-way 60 points center, 2nd line center. Been with the Habs forever. Nice contract.
Markov was a legit #1 D in the NHL. Another Habs since forever. Nice contract
Price was already a starting G. Another Habs all his career. Nice contract
Pacioretty was 30 goals scorer. Another rown into the organization. Nice contract
Subban was already a top 4 D. And another one. Nice contract.

What name you gave me....

Petry - He ineherited a D who asked to be traded
Hoffman, Dvorak, Savard, Armia are all spare parts and more problems than anything with their contract.
Chiarot was going UFA and needed a rise that we counldn't even afford.

I didn't even talked about Desharnais, Budaj, Cole or Gionta.....so don't bring names like Byron or Allen either as a gift they received. At least you left Drouin out.

Caufield was on the 4th line, Suzuki was not progessing
Romanov was playing 14 minutes and benched in the PO
Best thing he left is it's those prospect that he was slowly destroying like he did with all the others.

Yeah there's Gallagher and that giant contract that's been a Habs forever, not sure it's a gift with that contract and not to mention that he was one of the player given to Bergevin to begin with.

Edmunsdon? Good top 4-d nice contract, not been here very long...... but we're far from the Markov - Subban duo he received. Toffoli? Yep wasn't here for a long time neither but nice contract good player. Not sure I would consider a core player. The fact he was the best we had and he was a late UFA signing tells you more about the quality of team we had.

Did Bergevin left assets? Sure but it's sure as hell not the same quality that he had.

Reactions: zeeto and BLONG7

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
Wouldn't mind making a splash in FA if Price comes back this season and looks good. This entire year was a write off but the habs should make the playoffs with a healthy price and a couple additions (one top 6 and one top 4 to replace Petry)
Regardless of any changes we make in the offseason I can't see us finishing ahead of Florida/Toronto/Tampa so I think we'd be wild-card at best. The Bruins might not be as good as this year but they won't fall off a cliff.
Ottawa and Buffalo both have several young, developing players - I'd expect them to both be 10-20pts better than this year too. Pretty hard to see a playoff scenario without everyone staying healthy and several players having career years

Reactions: hvac412

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Regardless of any changes we make in the offseason I can't see us finishing ahead of Florida/Toronto/Tampa so I think we'd be wild-card at best. The Bruins might not be as good as this year but they won't fall off a cliff.
Ottawa and Buffalo both have several young, developing players - I'd expect them to both be 10-20pts better than this year too. Pretty hard to see a playoff scenario without everyone staying healthy and several players having career years

You just need to make the playoffs and then anything can happen. See last year for reference.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
You just need to make the playoffs and then anything can happen. See last year for reference.
I'm so sick of that bubble team, middle of the pack, anything can happen bs. Why not give HuGo a few years to build something legit from the ground up instead of hoping for miracles and doing Bergevin style half-ass patch jobs. I think we deserve better than going through that crap again.

timmy8899

Apr 12, 2022

when is the last time Price played a full season without injury?

expecting him to do so after a year off is simply unrealistic,

he will never play a full season without injury again,

if he is still a hab next season, and starts the season, i don't expect him to last 2 months

this team is not making the playoffs next season with or without Price,

have you not been paying attention to how strong the EC is?

which playoff team in the EC do you expect to finish ahead of next season?

i can't see any

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
when is the last time Price played a full season without injury?

expecting him to do so after a year off is simply unrealistic,

he will never play a full season without injury again,
He played two recent seasons without serious injury: 66 games in 18-19 and 58 in 19-20.

He was hurt just about all season in 15-16 and played 62 games the next season and was pretty good.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Just pick up whoever is left on 1 year deals and flip them at the deadline. Some nice reclamation projects.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

2 x speeches once again.

Are you seriously comparing a 23 yr old Subban, 25 yr old Price, 24 yr old Pacioretty, 23 yr old Eller, 20 yr old Gallagher, plus a number of useful veterans (Plekanec, Markov, etc.) to what HuGo inherited? With a straight face?

Caufield and Suzuki look like future building block pieces, but odds are they aren't going to be as effective as the young guys Bergevin inherited. And you can't just ****ing list veterans on the roster. Mentioning Anderson, Toffoli, Hoffman, Gallagher, Allen, Romanov, Chiarot, Edmunston, Dvorak, Evans, Byron is like saying Bourque, Cole, Gionta, Emelin and Gorges.

This isn't black/white or grey, its critical thinking skills.

Reactions: BLONG7

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
One guy I would consider is Paul Statsny

He can play C/LW, a lot of experience and he's really good on the FO. Probably won't cost that much either.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Are you seriously comparing a 23 yr old Subban, 25 yr old Price, 24 yr old Pacioretty, 23 yr old Eller, 20 yr old Gallagher, plus a number of useful veterans (Plekanec, Markov, etc.) to what HuGo inherited? With a straight face?

Caufield and Suzuki look like future building block pieces, but odds are they aren't going to be as effective as the young guys Bergevin inherited. And you can't just ****ing list veterans on the roster. Mentioning Anderson, Toffoli, Hoffman, Gallagher, Allen, Romanov, Chiarot, Edmunston, Dvorak, Evans, Byron is like saying Bourque, Cole, Gionta, Emelin and Gorges.

This isn't black/white or grey, its critical thinking skills.
you misread my message. I named a lot of veteran players in response of the one saying we didn't have those players to surround our young guns.
Eller ? be serious, I take Dvorak over him , and i take Anderson over old Plekanec. We have Suzuki and Cole. Romanov isn't the offensive weapon that Subban was, but he's more serviceable in the long run and a lot better than Emelin. Petry put 42 pts in 55 games last season. Suddenly he's finished on Habs forum.

To me, the big difference between the 2 heritages is the fact that Leblanc was our best prospects , compared to Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Ylönen, Roy, Farrell, Kidney, Mysak, Norlinder...and few draft selections added last years for 2022

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad