Speculation: UFAs that have Michigan-born wife?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Okay. So last season we were out of the competition, because Ryan Suter's wife wanted move to her home-area, where all her old friends and relatives were.

Does anybody know which UFAs have a Michigan wife, that would be easier to acquire to Wings at this summer?

Both Nathan Horton and his wife are from Welland, Ontario. That's very near of Buffalo. I'm not saying he is going to sign with the Sabres, but Detroit is not that far from that area.

There has been speculation, that Shawn Horcoff could be bought out by the Oilers. How about him? He has been drastically overpaid with his latest contract, but for bargain price after a buyout he would be a decent player.

If I remember right, Horcoff has been all those summers at Wings training camp, because he lives his summers at Michigan. Reason is his wife, which is Michigan born, they have relatives and summer cottage (?) in here and they met during Horcoff's Michigan University days.

So I'm quite sure Horcoff would be interested in coming to Detroit, if he becomes UFA after possible compliance buyout. But he is a center, do we actually need a center? That would push Andersson to wing etc.

Does anybody know any other outsiders, that have natural connection to Michigan/Detroit?

Who are the current NHLrs, that started their career through those Michigan Universities? If any of these are current UFAs, we should check from where those wifes are... ;)

"My decision was a family decision..." we have heard this many times. :) Wife decides the target, husband just wants to play hockey and keep wife happy. Does not matter where.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guys from Michigan State Univ.

- W David Booth
- F Adam Hall
- C Shawn Horcoff
- D Duncan Keith
- D John-Michael Liles
- W Drew Miller
- G Ryan Miller
- W Chris Mueller
- D Jeff Petry
- D Corey Potter
- C Jim Slater
- W Corey Tropp
- D Mike Weaver

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

- W David Booth
- F Adam Hall
- C Shawn Horcoff
- D Duncan Keith
- D John-Michael Liles
- W Drew Miller
- G Ryan Miller
- W Chris Mueller
- D Jeff Petry
- D Corey Potter
- C Jim Slater
- W Corey Tropp
- D Mike Weaver
We're getting Duncan Keith guys, book it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Okay. So last season we were out of the competition, because Ryan Suter's wife wanted move to her home-area, where all her old friends and relatives were.

Does anybody know which UFAs have a Michigan wife, that would be easier to acquire to Wings at this summer?

Both Nathan Horton and his wife are from Welland, Ontario. That's very near of Buffalo. I'm not saying he is going to sign with the Sabres, but Detroit is not that far from that area.

There has been speculation, that Shawn Horcoff could be bought out by the Oilers. How about him? He has been drastically overpaid with his latest contract, but for bargain price after a buyout he would be a decent player.

If I remember right, Horcoff has been all those summers at Wings training camp, because he lives his summers at Michigan. Reason is his wife, which is Michigan born, they have relatives and summer cottage (?) in here and they met during Horcoff's Michigan University days.

So I'm quite sure Horcoff would be interested in coming to Detroit, if he becomes UFA after possible compliance buyout. But he is a center, do we actually need a center? That would push Andersson to wing etc.

Does anybody know any other outsiders, that have natural connection to Michigan/Detroit?

Who are the current NHLrs, that started their career through those Michigan Universities? If any of these are current UFAs, we should check from where those wifes are... ;)

"My decision was a family decision..." we have heard this many times. :) Wife decides the target, husband just wants to play hockey and keep wife happy. Does not matter where.

Horcoff could be a possibilitie he could finish his career in Detroit, But unless Edmonton is willing to eat about $2 million of his salary i cant see any team wanting him. Unless a team like the Islanders are looking to get to the cap floor or something like that would take a chance.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013

- W David Booth
- F Adam Hall
- C Shawn Horcoff
- D Duncan Keith
- D John-Michael Liles
- W Drew Miller
- G Ryan Miller
- W Chris Mueller
- D Jeff Petry
- D Corey Potter
- C Jim Slater
- W Corey Tropp
- D Mike Weaver

I could really get behind David Booth in a 3rd line scoring role after he gets bought out (the role Sammy was supposed to play) where he comes up for 2nd line duties at times but he's so damn injury prone. If we miss on Stalberg then I would be happy with Booth in the 3rd line Power Forward role with Tatar and Helm? centering the line.

It would kick Abby back to the 4th line as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Horcoff could be a possibilitie he could finish his career in Detroit, But unless Edmonton is willing to eat about $2 million of his salary i cant see any team wanting him. Unless a team like the Islanders are looking to get to the cap floor or something like that would take a chance.

There's those buyout rumours about Horcoff...

I could really get behind David Booth in a 3rd line scoring role after he gets bought out (the role Sammy was supposed to play) where he comes up for 2nd line duties at times but he's so damn injury prone. If we miss on Stalberg then I would be happy with Booth in the 3rd line Power Forward role with Tatar and Helm? centering the line.

It would kick Abby back to the 4th line as well.

I just listed guys that are playing at the moment in NHL. These are not all UFAs. Booth is signed for 2 more years.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
I just listed guys that are playing at the moment in NHL. These are not all UFAs. Booth is signed for 2 more years.

A lot of info points to Booth being bought out ATM. The Canucks could change their mind but it looks like Ballard & Booth will both be bought out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
horcoff is better than most of our bottom six tbh

Horcoff is a quality hockey player if you don't just stare at his contract which is hard not to do. But he would instantly improve a lot of teams.

I threw out Booth a little while ago, his parents have been season ticket holders for years and he like Horcoff spends a lot of his summer here. Plus I think Booth could be had on a one year 2 million dollar deal, while he re-establishes his value and tries to get healthy.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I'd be happy with Booth. He'd be a big, big improvement on the third line and if he ever got back to form he'd be a stud for us

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the best trait guys like booth or horcoff have going for them is that they're big buyout candidates

once they get their bounty from their respective teams they can and will sign for far less someplace else and do so hopefully with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove

horcoff at 2 million(max) for one season is a good deal
booth at 2 million(max) for one season is a good deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad