Speculation: UFA Market

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2015&pos=ALL

This is a list of UFAs. (Not up to date because they still have Foligno).

I don't want the Flyers to trade any picks/prospects to acquire UFA rights. There isn't one or two on the list that can turn this team into a legitimate contender. I hope they are patient. I also hope they trade 3 of Schultz, Coburn, Grossmann or L.Schenn.

D that will make it to July 1 and will get overpaid are Sekera, Petry and Franson. Question is, do you want to give any of them a MacDonald like contract? I don't.

Guys like Boychuk and Staal will be resigned prior to July 1.

There might be more interesting names available in 2016 and by then the Flyers will know what it takes to resign Jake, Couturier and B.Schenn, as well as knowing whether both RJ and Vinny need to be bought out.

They aren't contending next year, so I would go for Schultz type 1 year contracts and allow space for the young D prospects.

EDIT: I do worry that Mr. Snider will see that two D acquisitions made the Isles into a contender and put the pressure on again though.

Last edited:

Anthems

Aug 23, 2011
Vancouver
Unfortunately it's going to be another off-season in 2015 where the Flyers don't do anything during free agency. Hextall's hands are too tied. Even if he somehow convinces a team to take Coburn, Grossmann, etc for picks, I still don't see him making any splashes in the free agency market, nor would I really want him to. We need as much flexible cap space for our team internally to resign Voracek, Couturier, Raffl (hopefully) and potentially the Schenn brothers next season if Hextall intends to keep the Schenns. Which he probably should. And I don't know if Luke would leave to free agency if Brayden is still here.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If the flyers can move salary out the only player I want them to look at is Johnny boychuk. If he re-signs with NY then just find a depth winger for the third line

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bergenheim and Winnik are two guys I would love to get on the Flyers.

But I imagine they would only have space for one. And having Vinny on that contract that is close to being untrade-able limits that even more.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

But I imagine they would only have space for one. And having Vinny on that contract that is close to being untrade-able limits that even more.

I've liked Bergenheim for a while and even tried to make a proposal with Vinny for him. Obvious Florida fans weren't too happy but he wasn't playing well at that moment when I made that offer. He would be a nice fir on the left side with Read and Couts. That would regulate Vinny(if he is still here) and Umberger to the fourth line next year. That's a lot of money to have on that line.

I would still like to see Grossmann, Coburn and hopefully someone will take a shot at Vinny(Nashville PLEASE). Umberger probably is here next year and Streit is someone I would hold on to for mentoring the rookies we will most likely have on the team at some point next year.

This stuff sucks without capgeek.

I agree, what the hell did we use to do without them??

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
If the flyers can move salary out the only player I want them to look at is Johnny boychuk. If he re-signs with NY then just find a depth winger for the third line

I would not make a run at Boychuk. He is good definitely, but will demand some big bucks. If we manage to get rid of 3 dmen this deadline/draft (coburn, shultz, Grossman) or even 2 and keep shultz thats 8 mil area of cap availability. Hopefully the cap goes up so that gives us around 11 mil ish. (this is so hard without capgeek) We will fill those roles with AHL and prospects on the back end with options of Morin, Ghost, Hagg, Alt and Manning.

On that list the only person i would go after is Zucc. He is 27 so fits in the area of our team. He wont demand much more then 4 mil if that, he plays LW. Everyone else on that list of top 30 are old. We have old in Streit, Vinny, PEB and Umberger and we have no chance of shedding any of them.

I'm not sure who we would lose up front seeing as all our fowards are contracted. and the only 2 we want to trade cant/wont be.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Also, If I am Hextall my top prorioties are as follows:

1. Pronger- Find someone to take the contract off your hands. He is paid 525K in the last two years. Teams could use his contract to remain flexible with the cap floor and do other things. Buffalo, Ottawa, and Arizona are teams that come to mind. Even if we have to retain 525K worth of the contract it would still open 4.4 million almost in cap space.

2.Vincent Lecavalier- That report earlier in the year sort of quieted down with him retiring after next year. I still think it's a possibility to happen and it would make him much more attractive as a player. He has performed much better since his healthy scratches earlier. Ottawa was interested in him as well, maybe we could take a bad contract like Greening back and just bury him in the AHL in his last year.

3. Defense- Anyone is available. There are no untouchables on this roster on the back end. Coburn and Schenn are probably the most likely to go. MacDonald most likely isn't going anywhere but we never know with teams and how desperate they get for defense. Streit is the one player I think about keeping long and hard because his mentor role with the rookies. I would still target Boychuk, if not him then stay small or even nothing at all.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL

Bergenheim I've wanted for the 3rd line for years now.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The free agent market is basically dead except for secondary role players and backup goalies.
It's a thin class already and most valuable players still on that list will be gone soon because they re-up with their current teams...

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Old list - Nov 24th. but another for the thread:

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/11/25/2015-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-centers/

Wouldn't mind- if we aren't calling anyone up next year and we do ship some bodies out based on how we are come deadline AND after the draft - any of the players below:

Bergenhiem (3rd line)
Belesky (4th line)
Glencross (1st line/2nd line)
PEB (3rd/4th line)
Frolik (2nd/3rd line) - move Simmonds to LW or Frolik over there.
Jay Beagle (4th line)
Jay McClement (4th line beast centre on FO% and an awesome PKer)
Cody Franson (rhd)
Boychuk

Last edited:

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'm a bit more interested in some of the college UFAs this season. There isn't a good list of who will be available yet, but I've heard good things about guys like Ahti Oksanen (LW/D), Austin Czarnik (RW), Gavin Bayreuther (LD), Kenney Morrison (RD), Tyler Sikura. I haven't seen any of these guys play though, just heard good things.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Give Couturier a better winger than Umberger to play with on the checking line. That's my only wish for the offseason.

mrislander82

Feb 23, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I've liked Bergenheim for a while and even tried to make a proposal with Vinny for him. Obvious Florida fans weren't too happy but he wasn't playing well at that moment when I made that offer. He would be a nice fir on the left side with Read and Couts. That would regulate Vinny(if he is still here) and Umberger to the fourth line next year. That's a lot of money to have on that line.

I would still like to see Grossmann, Coburn and hopefully someone will take a shot at Vinny(Nashville PLEASE). Umberger probably is here next year and Streit is someone I would hold on to for mentoring the rookies we will most likely have on the team at some point next year.

I agree, what the hell did we use to do without them??

nhlnumbers.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad