Speculation: UFA Holtby

lawrence

May 19, 2012

One of the top goalies in the UFA pool speculated to be interested in Vancouver.

Source, apparently is Dhaliwal, the same guy who called the Ericsson, Myers, Rouselle and Beagle signings before it happened, and the Edler signing.

However this is Taj quoting Dhaliwal.

Where do you think he will end up?

30 year old won a cup 2 years ago, and a Vezina in 2016.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

One of the top goalies in the UFA pool speculated to be interested in Vancouver.

Source, apparently is Dhaliwal, the same guy who called the Ericsson, Myers, Rouselle and Beagle signings before it happened, and the Edler signing.

However this is Taj quoting Dhaliwal.

Where do you think he will end up?

30 year old won a cup 2 years ago, and a Vezina in 2016.

Depending on the money and term, this could be great for Vancouver. The perfect tandem along with demko.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think he ends up in Western Canada. Just a feeling.

Winnipeg already has a goalie.
Edmonton already has a goalie.
Calgary doesn't at this point that might be a possible desination. He will be a starter for sure in Calgary
Vancouver. If he's ok with split duties with Demko.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Calgary doesn't at this point that might be a possible desination. He will be a starter for sure in Calgary

I wasn’t referring to Winnipeg, clearly they don’t need him. I was thinking Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
How much and how long you guys figure? 2 or 3 years at $3 or $4 million per season?

And then if has a good year probably Seattle would take him?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Could be a good fit in Vancouver if he’s willing to take the shorter term deal with no expansion protection that the Canucks are likely trying to get Markstrom to agree to.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I just don't see Holtby accepting a backup/platoon role yet, unless a lot of teams decide to pass him over when Free Agency opens up. There are still a good deal of teams that could use a #1 goalie. With a fresh start with a new team, better goalie coach then the rookie one he had with the Caps and playing behind a better structured team, Holtby can resurrect his career giving a team 50-60 starts. I'm talking where he get back to a .920 sv% and 2.50 gaa.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Think he'd rather take term.
4yrs x 4.5 million based off a couple down years.
Holtby is not gonna settle for that low of an annual with the experience he has. I see more in the range of $5.5 - 6.5 million on something like a 3 year deal. I'll put this out there: If Devin Dubnyk could go from an NHL starter, fall to minors and then resurrect back to an NHL starter, then Holtby is not washed up yet! Winning a Vezina and a Cup, just doesn't fall into your lap as an NHL goalie!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Holtby is not gonna settle for that low of an annual with the experience he has. I see more in the range of $5.5 - 6.5 million on something like a 3 year deal. I'll put this out there: If Devin Dubnyk could go from an NHL starter, fall to minors and then resurrect back to an NHL starter, then Holtby is not washed up yet! Winning a Vezina and a Cup, just doesn't fall into your lap as an NHL goalie!

Maybe if he goes to a building team, he gets that much $$.
Don't see a contender giving him that much money after his 2-3 year decline even on a short-term deal.
The market will be flooded with goalies as well along with a flat cap.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Edmonton has no goalie lol.. hence what they were chasing Matt murray

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Dont see why splitting starts is a bad thing. It seems like a good investment for a 30 year old goaltender. The days of Kiprusoff 70+ starts are probably over...ans rightfully do

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

I think Holtby WOULD settle for something like 6 x $4-4.5 though...especially if he likes the area.

And goalies can still be effective in tandems at 35 and/or 36 so its far from a bad signing

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Out of all the goaliest available Holtby is the one I definitely do not want in Detroit. He is going to want a big contract and I doubt he lives up to it with his game starting to show signs of decline in the last few seasons.

NoSoup4U

Sep 22, 2020
Colorado already has Grubauer and Francouz. They don't need Holtby.
Seems to be a lot of speculation that Colorado is in the goalie market, for what Holtby with cost combined with his play in recent years i would rather just keep running with Gru and Frank. Can see him wanting to come home to Canada and Vancouver would be the most appealing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad