UFA Frenzy/Offseason Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogurtti

Nov 21, 2021
Kane to columbus? Can't really see that happening. Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love the dude playing here, but if the Alberga guy is somewhat right, it has to be 3-way deal to get Chychrun or JT Miller. That would make the most sense for me.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Johnny is 29. We’re in win now mode. Go get him. Kent Johnson and Sullivan are coming up the pipe as centers. We’ll be fine in a year when they’re ready to play C.
Gaudreau was UFA, Kane has the contract. Also Johnny is 29, Patrick 33, what is 4 years difference.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Im glad that Columbus is in these talks. That tells you something but i dont want Kane. He is absolutely elite but he is 33 and 1year left.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I didn't realize a career ended at 34... does that mean my life is over in December when my birthday rolls around?
Hockey players usually finish their careers around the age of 36-38, and in recent years their performances have mostly deteriorated. Kane is 33 years old. 5 years max and even that's not a fact. Then again, no one knows what kind of form he'll be in.

352 points in his last 285 regular season games. Why ever would the Jackets want that? HELP.
Weren't you an advisor to those GMs who stopped caring about the development of their own players, which caused teams to have problems in the future? 😎

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Weren't you an advisor to those GMs who stopped caring about the development of their own players, which caused teams to have problems in the future? 😎
Admittedly, if I were the GM, I wouldn't let prospects get in the way of making trades that put a winner on the ice. I can appreciate good prospects, I think this organization finally has a pretty damn good prospect pool, I just hope they are developed properly or else they are just another body.

As a fan, I've reached a point where I don't really stress over the prospects, I just want to see a winner on the ice. I really don't care if it's done with developed prospects, or if you use them to acquire players that take this team over the top. I'm well aware the better way to do it is with developed prospects (see Tampa and Colorado), but I just don't care anymore, I would actually be willing to sacrifice 2 or 3 lean years for a Cup.

I've loved talking about the Kane stuff. I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, but at least I feel like my team has the wheels turning and isn't just handcuffing itself hoarding prospects. That is refreshing to me to talk about the present and winning, then talking about possibly winning in 5 years. I'd love for Johnson, Marchenko, Sillinger and Chinakov to all be majorly impactful players beginning this year and make this team a contender for a long time to come, but I don't think it's realistic. Cole will, as he showed last season, the others are a toss up.

All this said, it's time to drop the puck and find out what happens.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Admittedly, if I were the GM, I wouldn't let prospects get in the way of making trades that put a winner on the ice. I can appreciate good prospects, I think this organization finally has a pretty damn good prospect pool, I just hope they are developed properly or else they are just another body.

As a fan, I've reached a point where I don't really stress over the prospects, I just want to see a winner on the ice. I really don't care if it's done with developed prospects, or if you use them to acquire players that take this team over the top. I'm well aware the better way to do it is with developed prospects (see Tampa and Colorado), but I just don't care anymore, I would actually be willing to sacrifice 2 or 3 lean years for a Cup.

I've loved talking about the Kane stuff. I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, but at least I feel like my team has the wheels turning and isn't just handcuffing itself hoarding prospects. That is refreshing to me to talk about the present and winning, then talking about possibly winning in 5 years. I'd love for Johnson, Marchenko, Sillinger and Chinakov to all be majorly impactful players beginning this year and make this team a contender for a long time to come, but I don't think it's realistic. Cole will, as he showed last season, the others are a toss up.

All this said, it's time to drop the puck and find out what happens.
Success can only be achieved by working conceptually, putting the pieces together in a mosaic. Trading Kane for our future is not it. Of course, we must work with youngsters.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I didn't realize a career ended at 34... does that mean my life is over in December when my birthday rolls around?
Yes, it was about that age that I died inside*. Just like that, you wake up one day and don't feel quite alive anymore, because you went over the hill. It's just a sloooooooooow slide to the grave from there on. But cheer up, careerwise it just keeps getting better ;)

Hockeywise, if a players strengths are high hockey IQ and exceptional technique + still having the desire to keep competing at the highest level, the career is longer (barring serious injuries). Kane's playing style, consistency and good injury history speak for this.

*I am not dead inside, life's pretty good :D

Reactions: MAHJ71

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Success can only be achieved by working conceptually, putting the pieces together in a mosaic. Trading Kane for our future is not it. Of course, we must work with youngsters.
Just to play a little devil's advocate. What if you could acquire Kane and not really harm the future? I don't think I agree with you that teams can only achieve success by only developing their young players. It certainly helps from a cost perspective, surely, but remember when hockey didn't have a salary cap and teams like Detroit and Colorado would have over 100M on their payroll and win the Cup. They didn't care about developing many young players. Now, obviously times have changed, so there is a lot of credence to developing younger players, but I'm saying be open to the possibility of having some boundaries on what you're comfortable giving up and make moves (like Kane) when they arise.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not sure they'd trade inside division but I hope Jarmo goes for it. Still think he has top 4 potential

If you looked at our roster and thought "we need more players like Bean and Boqvist" then sure. Lundqvist is another one of those guys that really only makes sense in PP2 and sheltered 5v5 minutes. I think that's a player type that you can fit zero or one of per team.

Reactions: Fro and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Not sure they'd trade inside division but I hope Jarmo goes for it. Still think he has top 4 potential

I saw this today and was wondering about moving Eric Robinson or Bemstrom - the Rangers are set at D, but they could use a forward with a low cap hit. But do we need another young right D that is not a proven guy in his own end? And Robinson is friends with Gaudreau. And Lundkvist is 5’11”. So I decided against it. If they were looking to move him last year, I would have been in favor of it. But not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad