UFA Frenzy/Offseason Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What personality is that?
He loves attention and is very outspoken. He tends to rub people the wrong way. I know he won the King Clancy for charity and humanitarian efforts but he just doesn't back up his boisterous personality with on ice performance anymore. Teams will tolerate that to an extent if you are at the top of your game but the most memorable thing Subban has done in the last couple of years is post himself on the internet wearing Lindsay Vonn's bikini.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He loves attention and is very outspoken. He tends to rub people the wrong way. I know he won the King Clancy for charity and humanitarian efforts but he just doesn't back up his boisterous personality with on ice performance anymore. Teams will tolerate that to an extent if you are at the top of your game but the most memorable thing Subban has done in the last couple of years is post himself on the internet wearing Lindsay Vonn's bikini.

This is a weird critique, imo. Dude donated $10 million to a children's hospital in Montreal.

"rubs people the wrong way" seems like projection to me in terms of what other people think.

I mean, I get it, he's not the player he once was. I'm not saying he deserves a 5x5 contract or anything. It's just that the Jackets were looking for a little physicality on the D, right side, now...they overpaid Gudbranson for that. Subban could have thrown some hits from the 3rd pair here. Just wondering if on a 1-2 year deal if he would have taken $2-3m AAV to come here. Might have been able to keep Bjorkstrand in that scenario, too.

Sports are entertainment. Hockey is full of dull dudes who can't say anything but "gotta compete harder" and "we need to get pucks deep" in every interview. In a world full of that...give me PK Subban any day of the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: domi28 and MAHJ71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This is a weird critique, imo. Dude donated $10 million to a children's hospital in Montreal.

"rubs people the wrong way" seems like projection to me in terms of what other people think.

I mean, I get it, he's not the player he once was. I'm not saying he deserves a 5x5 contract or anything. It's just that the Jackets were looking for a little physicality on the D, a right now...they overpaid Gudbranson for that. Subban could have thrown some hits from the 3rd pair here. Just wondering if on a 1-2 year deal if he would have taken $2-3m AAV to come here. Might have been able to keep Bjorkstrand in that scenario, too.

Sports are entertainment. Hockey is full of dull dudes who can't say anything but "gotta compete harder" and "we need to get pucks deep" in every interview. In a world full of that...give me PK Subban any day of the week.
You can have a personality that rubs people the wrong way and still donate lots of money to charity. Those 2 don't have to be mutually aligned.

He has a unique personally and there are people who don't like it. He'll make a better TV personality than a teammate for a lot of people. For a team that is 100% all in on culture right now you don't need to introduce something that could upset that balance when his on ice performance isn't what it used to be. If he was still winning Norris trophies you would deal with it but I bet you his personality is the biggest reason is still unsigned right now.

I have nothing against the guy but I'm honestly assessing the situation.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You can have a personality that rubs people the wrong way and still donate lots of money to charity. Those 2 don't have to be mutually aligned.

He has a unique personally and there are people who don't like it. He'll make a better TV personality than a teammate for a lot of people. For a team that is 100% all in on culture right now you don't need to introduce something that could upset that balance when his on ice performance isn't what it used to be. If he was still winning Norris trophies you would deal with it but I bet you his personality is the biggest reason is still unsigned right now.

I have nothing against the guy but I'm honestly assessing the situation.

I think PK has a bad on-ice “personality” much moreso than I think he has off-ice issues.

He seems like a great guy off ice which makes all the slew footing bewildering to me.

He's a problem everywhere he goes and he'd be a problem here. It's that simple.

Sorry, I wasn't saying, "hey, PK Subban is available...let's sign him." My point was, if the goal this offseason was to get more physical on the blue line, specifically on the right side, it seems like Subban could have fit that bill for less than the 4x4 we gave Gudbranson. If he would have accepted a short term deal in the $2-$3m AAV range, we might have been able to keep Bjorkstrand.

I agree with a few posts above - he does seem like a great guy off the ice. His play on the ice has dipped and he has had several slew foot incidents.

I don't think he's been a "problem everywhere he goes" and I doubt he'd be a problem here (again...if we had pursued him instead of Gudbranson, obviously now it doesn't make any sense).

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Sorry, I wasn't saying, "hey, PK Subban is available...let's sign him." My point was, if the goal this offseason was to get more physical on the blue line, specifically on the right side, it seems like Subban could have fit that bill for less than the 4x4 we gave Gudbranson. If he would have accepted a short term deal in the $2-$3m AAV range, we might have been able to keep Bjorkstrand.

Subban is 6 feet tall and a former Norris winner. He has been in 4 fights over the last 5 seasons.

Gudbranson is 6’4” and has been known as a tough guy his whole career. He has been in 17 fights over the last 5 seasons.

I don’t think Subban was the kind of guy we were looking for.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Subban is 6 feet tall and a former Norris winner. He has been in 4 fights over the last 5 seasons.

Gudbranson is 6’4” and has been known as a tough guy his whole career. He has been in 17 fights over the last 5 seasons.

I don’t think Subban was the kind of guy we were looking for.
Even though plenty of fans talked about needing added toughness to the team/defense in both a tactical and literal “bodyguard” type role, and multiple incidents of cheap shots against the team, some people still aren’t willing to accept that aspect of why he was brought in and or don’t see the value it truly brings.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My point was, if the goal this offseason was to get more physical on the blue line

I think the goal was to add the baddest mf out there. Gudbranson is a heavyweight with an outstanding fight record. That's his main selling point, he's not a better physical defender than say, Andrew Peeke, but he can beat up Marcus Foligno and other goons like that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think the goal was to add the baddest mf out there. Gudbranson is a heavyweight with an outstanding fight record. That's his main selling point, he's not a better physical defender than say, Andrew Peeke, but he can beat up Marcus Foligno and other goons like that.
Does this make it more likely that Olivier is sent down rather than stashed in the press box or do we still want/need him around for those half-dozen games? And if he is waived, are we more ok with him being claimed?

In this case I mean ‘we’ as an organization. Feel free to answer for yourself too just please indicate which you mean thank you.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Does this make it more likely that Olivier is sent down rather than stashed in the press box or do we still want/need him around for those half-dozen games? And if he is waived, are we more ok with him being claimed?

In this case I mean ‘we’ as an organization. Feel free to answer for yourself too just please indicate which you mean thank you.
I mean we gave up a 4th for him...would be nice to get something for him

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I have always thought Mathieu Olivier would be sent to Cleveland at the beginning of the season. Lots of people will be put on waivers at that time. I don’t think he will be claimed. If we bring him up mid season for a few weeks and then want to send him down, that is when he could get claimed - because a team at mid season has a bunch of injuries and/or is looking for a tough guy.

I think we traded for him so we were the team putting him on waivers at the beginning of the season when he is likely to clear, not someone else. And he can protect KJ or whichever young asset we have playing in Cleveland while Gudbranson protects the young guys in Columbus.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Fwiw, first Tom Wilson game of the season will be on Jan 5th (we play 3 games against Caps in January and 1 in March). Two games vs the Wild in late February.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have always thought Mathieu Olivier would be sent to Cleveland at the beginning of the season. Lots of people will be put on waivers at that time. I don’t think he will be claimed. If we bring him up mid season for a few weeks and then want to send him down, that is when he could get claimed - because a team at mid season has a bunch of injuries and/or is looking for a tough guy.

I think we traded for him so we were the team putting him on waivers at the beginning of the season when he is likely to clear, not someone else. And he can protect KJ or whichever young asset we have playing in Cleveland while Gudbranson protects the young guys in Columbus

I think there's a decent chance (50%?) that Olivier gets claimed. Maybe Washington will want him to fill in for Tom Wilson while he's injured, maybe Nashville will have an injury and want their guy back, etc...

With waivers though there's also a decent chance he gets re-waived and then the Jackets would have first dibs to reclaim him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Hockey really needs to limit their contracts size like the nba does. These terms are just stupid. Giving a 32 year old a 7 year deal makes no sense.
The NHL did limit their contract size after the 2013 lockout. It used to be worse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So for the next time we get a Miller proposal pushed on us... well, one was tried with Carolina, and one of their fans pointed out the following:
Miller will not be an unprecedented rental. Matt Duchene was a center scoring at a 95 point pace at the time of his trade to Columbus. He went for a bubble-in 1st, an intriguing, but not true top prospect (Abramov), a recent late round pick (Davidsson) and poison pill 1st upon re-signing (no longer permitted).
Based on that, I think the modern equivalent would be Pyyhtia (another 20-year-old late round forward prospect looking very promising), Hjorth (another 21-year-old defense prospect who's dropped down the depth chart but still might have something), and a lottery-protected 1st.

I suggest we keep this in mind for the next Canucks fan that shows up without doing the research. ;)

Reactions: koteka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad