UFA D-Men

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
If any of our D-men can be upgraded I would be fine seeing it happen. I would be happiest seeing Ranger get upgraded though!

Ace88*

I like franson but id drop him faster than a hot potato to sign either girardi or macdonald.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
First off, I'd definitely look at trading Franson (he'll have more value than Ranger/Fraser and I think he's hurting this team a lot with his bad defensive play... his offense on the PP isn't making up for it IMO).

Secondly, if we get a good defensive Dman, I don't want to see him with Dion unless we're trying to hold a lead or maybe if we're going against a team like the Caps/TB (who have one very strong offensive line).

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Girardi/good defensive Dman (would love somebody who's a #2/3 DFD)
Percy - XXXX (Most likely Gunnarson, possibly Ranger if he continues to improve, possibly Fraser, or Finn?)

This would be a really solid defense that has some physicality (Phaneuf and Girardi), mobility (Gardiner/Rielly), good defense (Phaneuf, Girardi, Percy?), offense (Gardiner, Phaneuf, Rielly), and everybody is at least adequate defensively (depending on which Gardiner shows up... he's had good and bad games defensively so far this year... Rielly's shown that he can be a good TWD, just needs time to figure out defensive positioning when the opposing team is cycling...).

Edit: Who knows, maybe by next year Rielly is able to play top pairing... But having Rielly-Phaneuf (If Rielly reaches potential), Gardiner - Girardi-type dman would be awesome.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Personally I want no piece of Girardi. Some team is going to pay him probably twice as much as he should and I really hope it isn't us.

His best attribute is his shot blocking (46 so far). Gunnarsson blocks more (56). Historically Girardi blocks more but the difference isn't that significant. Additionally someone like MacWilliam is knocking on the door for a spot and he is a great shot blocker as well, a much cheaper replacement to get the same thing.

Additionally, I believe I read (but can't find now) an article showing that girardi is one of the worst defensemen in the league at getting the puck out of your own zone and when you have wingers like ours that thrive off the rush, this is a critical aspect to our game that he isn't able to do.

I'd take Girardi at about 2.5-3m, but I think someone will be giving him over 5 and I really hope it isn't us.

LeafsFIO*

I say we trade for Trevor Daley and go after Moulson to fill the invitable hole that'll be left when Kulemin goes to the KHL.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
We are so deep on the back end, there are so many options for Nonis atm... it can only help us going forward!

Obviously, we need an upgrade, but we probably have 10 NHL caliber defense men in our system right now, and a bunch more only a couple years away. Feels good!

Phaneuf
Reilly
Gardiner
Franson
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Ranger
Brennan
Liles
Percy

And down the road:
MacWilliam
Granberg
Nilsson
Finn
Knodel

Ideally, we'll trade for a young RHD like a Voynov, Hamonic, Stone, Bogosian, E. Johnson...

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next year or two.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I say we trade for Trevor Daley and go after Moulson to fill the invitable hole that'll be left when Kulemin goes to the KHL.

Kulemin will not go to the KHL because he can always find a home in Pitts if he feels TOR is not a good fit.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Rather have Kulemin & Fraser in the line up then to bring in Orpik.

Rather have Gunnarsson at 3.1 then Girardi at 6+ (if he comes under 6 thats a different story). I hope the odd man out is Franson if we bring in a #2D but I fear it is Gunnarsson or Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad