UFA D-Men

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
With Girardi and MacDonald being UFA's next year, which current
Roster D-man/men would you get rid of to sign them.

...or would you at all?

Let me guess, Fraser and Ranger! Our only true physical D-men.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm right now looking at the current list of UFA Free Agents for Defensemen. (I don't know a lot of them - but I'm just going to list a few). I know Nonis said he's not trading for "older men." but it makes you wonder if he won't mind signing them. The oldest guy on our team is 31 years old. (32 if you count Liles).

Dan Boyle is 37-38
Brooks Orpik is 33-34
Dan Girardi is 29-30 [and seems to be a lot of people's favourite]
Matt Greene (LA) is 30-31
Cory Sarich is 35-36
Ron Hainsey is 32-33
Ryan Whitney is 30-31
Tom Gilbert is 30-31
Hall Gill is going to be 39 (wow).
and Andrew MacDonald will be 28-29 (I remember him because he was the one Joe & Greg were going on about how good he was defensively and blockshoting]

of course there is a lot more, but those were some of the ones that kind of stood out (due to age), and some experience (like Dan Boyle/Hal Gill are ancient LOL but they know how to get the job done).

that is a sample of available UFAs.
I think we can't cut anyone until we see how everyone plays in the 82 (or how many games they play).

plus we've got some defensive rookies. it's gonna be interesting.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
With Girardi and MacDonald being UFA's next year, which current
Roster D-man/men would you get rid of to sign them.

...or would you at all?

For Girardi probably Franson. He is going to require a big raise and is struggling defensively.

Wouldnt move Dion and Rielly should be nearly untouchable. Gunnar is our best purely defensive dman. Fraser imo is perfect for the bottom pairing, tough clears, the crease, good on the PK, and cheap. Ranger will be a good number 7.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
that is a sample of available UFAs.
I think we can't cut anyone until we see how everyone plays in the 82 (or how many games they play).

plus we've got some defensive rookies. it's gonna be interesting.

Stephane Robidas is another guy that will be a UFA. Getting kinda old tho.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Orpik for Kulemin, then sign him in summer. Or sign both. Been touting this one since summer.

Orpik will likely sign with the Penguins as he's stated he loves to play there... And on top of that, they won't trade him either, he's their stay-at-home physical defensemen..

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I can see one of Franson or Gardiner being traded for a forward and signing one of those UFA's in the summer. Hopefully Girardi.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Gunnarsson should be moved. He makes some pretty decent coin but his game is very rudimentary. Upgrading on him with a Girardi seems like more of an upgrade than losing Franson or Gardiner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Move Gardiner, Sign Girardi

Phaneuf - Girardi
Rielly - Franson
Fraser - Liles/Ranger/Percy/Granberg

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd be very wary of Girardi or anyone who plays with defense partner who is quite good. Especially for the money he could demand.

I'd be looking at the guys under him if they get to free agency.

McDonald
Klesla
Nikitin
Fayne
Stuart(Mark)

Mike Weaver as well

Last edited:

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
With a good defensive dman our D looks a lot better IMO

Phaneuf - Girardi/Orpik/????
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Gardiner

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Stephane Robidas is another guy that will be a UFA. Getting kinda old tho.

yeah -
i think it's going to depend on WHERE Nonis wants to go. if he wants to keep the core under the age of 31 - I don't see us going for Robidas, Gill or um... Boyle (as they are over 35).

I don't really know the play of a lot of the defensemen that are available for UFA but to me it doesn't look too good (and those whom I'd try to get (ie: Oprik) wants to stay in Pitts).

so maybe UFA might not work out for us unless Giradi (whom people seem to like) wants to sign here.

snizzbone*

Gardiner or Ranger. Unless Franson wants tons of money, then he can leave. But I like him as a PP guy who can play sheletered minutes.

Rielly needs someone to play with if the Gunnarsson - Phaneuf pairing is going to stick. Nobody else in our lineup is a suitable partner. He needs stability, not someone who can't play defense despite being 10 years his senior.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Andrew MacDonald isn't a good top-4 defenseman. On top of that we have players that posses his skill-set and then some, pass.

FA should be summed up with two words: Dan Girardi (if he makes it that far)

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I think our defense would improve alot more if we move Franson and replace him with a defensive d-man like Girardi or something.

Gardiner is a much more mobile, higher potential guy and will cost us less, Franson definitely has value but has alot of shortcomings defensive wise(i've seen ALOT of mistakes from him this year.)

Replace Franson's offense with a more experienced Rielly(who will only get better), and get us a solid defensive d to really improve this core.

Im fine with keeping one of Fraser/ranger or both, they're fine on the third pairing. Although they as well make mistakes.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Gardiner or Ranger. Unless Franson wants tons of money, then he can leave. But I like him as a PP guy who can play sheletered minutes.

Rielly needs someone to play with if the Gunnarsson - Phaneuf pairing is going to stick. Nobody else in our lineup is a suitable partner. He needs stability, not someone who can't play defense despite being 10 years his senior.

Rielly and Giardi are a really good fit together, or Gunnar and Rielly if Girardi goes top line.

Franson will be the odd man out IMO, he's gonna want 3.5m+ as he'll get alot of points this year, but points tend to cover up the fact that he can be very defensively irresponsible.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Move Gardiner, Sign Girardi

Phaneuf - Girardi
Rielly - Franson
Fraser - Liles/Ranger/Percy/Granberg

Where does Gunnar go in this scenario?

Phaneuf - Girardi
Rielly - Gunnar
Fraser - Franson

forgive me if the RHD/LHD don't work, I don't know which D are capable of switching to the other side

Percy probably ready by then too though

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Girardi is being exposed this year imo.

It Torts' extremely defensive system, he looked great.

Now under AV, he's not even mediocre.

I just don't see him returning to what he was under Torts in our system.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Dions been throwing more body as of late than ever in a TML uniform.

I bet if and when he gets a new deal he stops. Played great in Calgary got the new deal he goes awol. Looking for another new deal and playing great, watching for the awol...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad