UEFA Europa League Qualifying Rounds 2020-21

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm hesitant to credit Villareal with amazing defending because it was mostly just sit with two solid blocks of four and letting United screw around on the outsides. There weren't any advanced plans or complex defensive assignments.

The biggest thing Emery did was convince the players to lock in and buy in to play like that.

It wasn't like he was awful or anything, but it was basically mediocrity defined.

It happens. We saw it with the final between Spurs and Liverpool. Both sides were clearly gassed, and playing in some ways not to screw it up.

I just think if I'm Man United, it isn't good enough. OGS isn't the worst manager. There's an argument to be made that he's righted the ship, he's building on something, and he's improving a lot of the players. But they still mentality wise play like they're the mid table club, not who they are.

That just isn't good enough for me if I'm a United supporter. I'm sure the retort will be, well, players were hurt, or they haven't given him enough backing in transfers. But one side has spent a ridiculous amount on players, and the other is scraping together cast offs and never weres.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It happens. We saw it with the final between Spurs and Liverpool. Both sides were clearly gassed, and playing in some ways not to screw it up.

I just think if I'm Man United, it isn't good enough. OGS isn't the worst manager. There's an argument to be made that he's righted the ship, he's building on something, and he's improving a lot of the players. But they still mentality wise play like they're the mid table club, not who they are.

That just isn't good enough for me if I'm a United supporter. I'm sure the retort will be, well, players were hurt, or they haven't given him enough backing in transfers. But one side has spent a ridiculous amount on players, and the other is scraping together cast offs and never weres.
Nobody is saying United were good enough.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I forgot Americans don't tend to appreciate good defensive play. Sorry the game didn't finish 8-7 so you lot can be satisfied.

I loved last night's match, reminded me why I love football.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Was it good defensive play?

I just saw two sides that looked tired for the first half at least. Two defensive sides playing each other also doesn't really make a great match to watch. Usually one side has to try and go for it a bit to make it enjoyable.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
But they still mentality wise play like they're the mid table club, not who they are.

That's the biggest thing for me. Their EPL play this season isn't sustainable. You can't waltz into games and only start playing once you've conceded. Their ability to seize so many points from being down is commendable, and a sign of a much more dangerous team hiding somewhere in there, but the trend of poor starts is concerning to say the least.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Since there's only 2 cups in 2000 there's been 11 Spanish 4 English 2 Russian 2 Portuguese 1 Ukrainian 1 Dutch 1 Turkish winner in UEFA-Europa. That really reflects how much Serie A has dropped off in the last 20 years, and how much Bayern Munich is dominating in Germany and the rest of the league isn't strong enough while Ligue 1 is still trophyless.

During that time no less than 9 Spanish teams made European Finals : RealMadrid Barcelona AtleticoMadrid Valencia Sevilla Espanyol AthleticBilbao Villarreal Alaves.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Since there's only 2 cups in 2000 there's been 11 Spanish 4 English 2 Russian 2 Portuguese 1 Ukrainian 1 Dutch 1 Turkish winner in UEFA-Europa. That really reflects how much Serie A has dropped off in the last 20 years, and how much Bayern Munich is dominating in Germany and the rest of the league isn't strong enough while Ligue 1 is still trohpyless.

Spanish clubs invest more in the Europa League though, knowing that they have absolutely no chance of winning the domestic league against several giants. Also their chances of reaching Champions League football are rather better than worse through that path. In Germany or France being competitive only takes FC Bayern or PSG to have a bad year, and many clubs can reach the Champions League through the league path any given year. The idea that the Spanish league is thoroughly stronger than others is a misconception.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think it's true that they invest more in the Europa League.

They might care about it a touch more, as for some, it's a way to ensure they make it to CL money, (or revenue in general) but clubs from other leagues care about it.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Spanish clubs invest more in the Europa League though, knowing that they have absolutely no chance of winning the domestic league against several giants. Also their chances of reaching Champions League football are rather better than worse through that path. In Germany or France being competitive only takes FC Bayern or PSG to have a bad year, and many clubs can reach the Champions League through the league path any given year. The idea that the Spanish league is thoroughly stronger than others is a misconception.
They are dominating in Europa and Champions League by far for 20 years now, both in terms of winners, finalists and bigger number of teams. Explain it any way you want but the facts are pretty clear.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As usual nothing of substance.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They are dominating in Europa and Champions League by far for 20 years now, both in terms of winners, finalists and bigger number of teams. Explain it any way you want but the facts are pretty clear.

Villarreal has an ongoing run of 9 straight losses in the Champions League.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No one outside the UK cares about the FA Cup. I don't really care that much about Copa del Rey either.

Emery won the match last night because he noticed when his players were gassed and made the right changes at the right time.

That penalty shootout was epic, so much quality on the field, such well struck penalties.

Wrong. The FA Cup final has been televised throughout the world long before the Premier League even existed. When the Premier League was still on free channel here in Finland, the FA Cup final was one of the most watched football broadcasts annually.

Reactions: sabremike

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Since there's only 2 cups in 2000 there's been 11 Spanish 4 English 2 Russian 2 Portuguese 1 Ukrainian 1 Dutch 1 Turkish winner in UEFA-Europa. That really reflects how much Serie A has dropped off in the last 20 years, and how much Bayern Munich is dominating in Germany and the rest of the league isn't strong enough while Ligue 1 is still trophyless.

During that time no less than 9 Spanish teams made European Finals : RealMadrid Barcelona AtleticoMadrid Valencia Sevilla Espanyol AthleticBilbao Villarreal Alaves.

Ligue 1 only having won two measly throphies in 70 years of European football is still baffling to me. And in the last 50 years it's only PSG, Monaco or OM getting to a final, apart from that Bordeaux team when Zidane and Lizarazu were there that got taken apart by Bayern. Lyon for instance, having such a dominant spell, never made a final.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Wrong. The FA Cup final has been televised throughout the world long before the Premier League even existed. When the Premier League was still on free channel here in Finland, the FA Cup final was one of the most watched football broadcasts annually.

Part of your statements are why it was popular, and why it really isn't the same as it was. It was popular because it was a big final, for what was a more domestically oriented game. Back when the Champions League really was JUST the Champions, it meant a lot more to win the FA Cup, because a lot of clubs would not even get the chance. It was also on a free channel, and because it usually included one or two of the best teams of that season, it meant a lot.

Now, people can see just about every match shown from the u18's to the CL final. So, it's lost some of it's luster.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Part of your statements are why it was popular, and why it really isn't the same as it was. It was popular because it was a big final, for what was a more domestically oriented game. Back when the Champions League really was JUST the Champions, it meant a lot more to win the FA Cup, because a lot of clubs would not even get the chance. It was also on a free channel, and because it usually included one or two of the best teams of that season, it meant a lot.

Now, people can see just about every match shown from the u18's to the CL final. So, it's lost some of it's luster.

FA Cup was still getting good rating when it was on free tv here long after the PL went to pay tv. Though admittedly, the global audience depends on the participating teams. United v Liverpool, guaranteed huge global audience.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Because it was free and there's a ton of EPL fans in Scandinavia. Largely due to the fact that many of those clubs used to tour there, and like you said, the EPL was on free tv for a long time, helping to build a fanbase.

Your traditional EPL clubs have a deep amount of support there.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Ive long said that Ole isn’t an elite manager. He’s ok, and he’s not the biggest problem at the club, but they can definitely do better.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Villarreal I believe is the smallest municipality to win a European Trophy. What a great story, especially given they beat 2 "Super League" teams. Things like this are why I love how European footbal is setup.

Full credit to Emery too. While I wasn't much of a fan of his time at Arsenal, I do feel a lot of the criticism went too far.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Villarreal I believe is the smallest municipality to win a European Trophy. What a great story, especially given they beat 2 "Super League" teams. Things like this are why I love how European footbal is setup.

Full credit to Emery too. While I wasn't much of a fan of his time at Arsenal, I do feel a lot of the criticism went too far.

He's a decent manager who generally has his teams play awful looking, but not unsuccessful, football. Arsenal decided that he was the only reason they sucked and went nuts on how awful he was.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Villarreal I believe is the smallest municipality to win a European Trophy.

Nominally probably, but it's a part of a larger urban area. Not like Guincamp who won the lowly Intertoto cup back in the day and are really just a smallish town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad