Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Chilwell and Alexander-Arnold ran the first half. Chilwell was one of Klopp’s first targets and he would have fit like a glove at LFC.

Leicester is going to make the CL and then get raided
I am not so sure...

They hold into their top players with the exception of Kante when they won the league.

They will probably put a high price on the head of their top players (like they did with Maguire) and sell maybe one or two but I don't think they will sell all their top players.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They definitely have the money to keep some of their players. they also have no problem keeping an unhappy one, as the Mahrez saga showed. Though if I'm Maddison why would I want to go to United? Sure, money. But he's not exactly going to get peanuts to stay there either.

But they're going to lose a few. It will be easier to keep some when they have CL to offer, but glory clubs are still always going to be a problem.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I am not so sure...

They hold into their top players with the exception of Kante when they won the league.

They will probably put a high price on the head of their top players (like they did with Maguire) and sell maybe one or two but I don't think they will sell all their top players.
They have done a pretty good job over the last few years in buying younger players with the money they have gotten from sales as well. As long as they keep doing that, they will be fine even if they sell a few guys.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Can we comfortably say England, Belgium, Holland and Portugal are favorites for the Euros as of their form right now with France dropping off without Pogba and Lloris as well as Mbappé and Griezmann looking pedestrian during the whole qualification process.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I can comfortably say England won't win it.
I agree and I’d still easily rank Spain ahead of England. Silly to sleep in France too just because they’re not in top form right now. They have way too much talent and depth to discount.

When it comes to England, them running over their qualifying group isn’t so impressive. Weak teams in the group. The fact is that England to this have still never, ever once in the entire history of tournament football beaten a top side in a knockout stage game outside of tournaments held on home soil. They just do not possess the skill, technique and creativity that their continental counterparts possess.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I agree and I’d still easily rank Spain ahead of England. Silly to sleep in France too just because they’re not in top form right now. They have way too much talent and depth to discount.

When it comes to England, them running over their qualifying group isn’t so impressive. Weak teams in the group. The fact is that England to this have still never, ever once in the entire history of tournament football beaten a top side in a knockout stage game outside of tournaments held on home soil. They just do not possess the skill, technique and creativity that their continental counterparts possess.
Yup pretty spot on. I'd still put France on top of my list and I don't even know about the Netherlands. They have a good team but KOeman is questionable.

Germany can compete but sadly 0r goodly(?) they're stuck in the past. Carrying around fossils.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Until someone actually beats France in the tourney they're still the favourites to me. Their football will likely be shit again but they could just park the bus (they have the players for it) and play the counter attack (they definitely have the players for that) and win like that.

Reactions: JayKing

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And there would be nothing wrong with that. Despite the narrative on these boards, winning ugly trumps playing attractive football and losing. By a lot.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Guys I said in terms of form. Obviously France are a team built for tournaments and Deschamps' pragmatism will get them better results than they have had so far.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I mean, France probably have the biggest collection of talent and unfortunately due to the limitations of NT football teams that can remain organized defensively and hit on the counter are typically easier and more successful at that stage, and France has the best players to play that style as well.

I’d say France in a tier of their own, and then teams like Spain, Portugal, England and the Netherlands might currently make up the 2nd tier. As mentioned the German team has enough talent as well but I don’t trust them with Jogi at the helm.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So Pukki does indeed remember where the net is. Is Liechtenstein on par with, or weaker than championship sides.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Can we comfortably say England, Belgium, Holland and Portugal are favorites for the Euros as of their form right now with France dropping off without Pogba and Lloris as well as Mbappé and Griezmann looking pedestrian during the whole qualification process.
I don’t think Portugal should be put in that group - They have not looked super strong in quali.

also, congrats Finland, welcome to the big league.

For me, Ukraine are darkhorses, they could also bring in 1 or 2 players from the successful U20 team.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I fully expect France to play the exact same way in the Euro 2020 that they did in the 2018 World Cup, and they excel at that play style. Dominate the midfield with Pogba/Kante, keep a strong back line to defend well, be lethal on the counter with their pace, and when in possession use Giroud's link up abilities to open up space for Mbappe and Griezmann to step into.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t think Portugal should be put in that group - They have not looked super strong in quali.

also, congrats Finland, welcome to the big league.

For me, Ukraine are darkhorses, they could also bring in 1 or 2 players from the succesful U20 team.
Ukraine beat Portugal in Ukraine but were completely dominated being outshot 24-5 and being outchanced 18-5. IMO they played better in the draw and in Portugal than they did in the win in Ukraine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad