UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Croatia with a record breaking 10:0 win over San Marino, like it accomplishes anything, the coach actually said before the match he was using the game to further ingrain the defensive unit together :shakehead

Hattricks for Mandzukic and Kalinic, first goal for Pjaca too

I saw the score and wondered why a team that should be top 10 in UEFA was playing a minnow like San Marino so close to a major international tournament.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
We've basically had a new CB combo every game since the last Euros, it feels like. Defense overall has had few sure bets. Granqvist who was a regular in 2012 won his role back this past qualifier, but he's had many different partners. Right now Lindelöf is clearly the best player of the others and they started together in the last game against Slovenia. Johansson who played with Granqvist in the last playoff game will get a chance tomorrow against Wales though. It's between them, but Lindelöf should be favored to start considering his strong season.

Fair enough. My best guess was Granqvist - Johansson partnership and Lindelof with some minutes here and there, maybe a start.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I saw the score and wondered why a team that should be top 10 in UEFA was playing a minnow like San Marino so close to a major international tournament.

Confidence boost, but it was really a pointless game, especially when the one before this was Moldova B...Suker also claims not many teams want to play Croatia in friendlies because they are not attractive enough for the big teams but yet I see Germany play Slovakia/Hungary for example. They could have at least played a middle level Euro team like Slovakia/Switzerland/Austria ffs. Anyway we'll see if this "strategy" works out, they basically put all their effort into the trainings and used two friendly matches for confidence builders, but some of the statements from the manager are just comical, like we don't need hard games because they will be hard at Euro :laugh:

Last edited:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Teams that are absolutely unpredictable for me are Russia and Turkey.
AFAIK only a handful of players of team Russia are playing in the big Euro leagues and Turkey is Turkey. Good players, but always close to a meltdown due to their temper.
When exactly was Turkey "close to a meltdown" in the finals before? :huh:
If anything they have somewhat talentess squads that tend to overachieve in the finals due to being more composed when it matters than most other teams.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Fantastic free kick goal by Korea against the Czechs, into the top corner, harsh to say Cech should have done better but he nearly made the save so some will question him I guess

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I keep changing my predictions but there is a possibility for England, in my predictions at least, to get Romania and Austria in the knock-outs.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Confidence boost, but it was really a pointless game, especially when the one before this was Moldova B...Suker also claims not many teams want to play Croatia in friendlies because they are not attractive enough for the big teams but yet I see Germany play Slovakia/Hungary for example. They could have at least played a middle level Euro team like Slovakia/Switzerland/Austria ffs. Anyway we'll see if this "strategy" works out, they basically put all their effort into the trainings and used two friendly matches for confidence builders, but some of the statements from the manager are just comical, like we don't need hard games because they will be hard at Euro :laugh:

If scudding a bunch of no-marks the week before the tournament is good enough for the hosts it's good enough for Croatia.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
When exactly was Turkey "close to a meltdown" in the finals before? :huh:
If anything they have somewhat talentess squads that tend to overachieve in the finals due to being more composed when it matters than most other teams.

Sorry, I used the wrong word. The turkish had issues with their discipline on and off the pitch. For ex. the Switzerland and the Töre/Toprak incidents.
I'm not here to bash the Turkish team.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Turks havent really had anymore disciplinary issues than most others.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden-Wales 3-0. Wales barely touched the ball before Bale came in and the match was basically over by then. And Ibra had left the pitch, too. Guidetti scored his first national team goal, Forsberg was the man of the match. Isaksson left the game with back pain..

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Portugal could use the tuneup :sarcasm:

Go Estonia!!!

I've been to Tallinn before. Beautiful city :)

Estonia_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I've got a round of 16 in my predictions of;

Switzerland v Poland
Spain v Portugal
England v Romania
Austria v Italy
Germany v Russia
Belgium v Czech Rep
France v Sweden
Wales v Iceland

Switzerland v Spain
England v Austria
Germany v Belgium
France v Wales

Spain v England
Germany v France

Spain v France

Call me optimistic..

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Another costly injury for Russia as Igor Denisov suffered a hamstring injury in their 1:1 draw with Serbia. The official replacement has not yet been named but its likely going to be Zenit midfielder Artur Yusupov

Jan 3, 2012
I've got a round of 16 in my predictions of;

Switzerland v Poland
Spain v Portugal
England v Romania
Austria v Italy
Germany v Russia
Belgium v Czech Rep
France v Sweden
Wales v Iceland

Switzerland v Spain
England v Austria
Germany v Belgium
France v Wales

Spain v England
Germany v France

Spain v France

Call me optimistic..

Hello there optimistic

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Another costly injury for Russia as Igor Denisov suffered a hamstring injury in their 1:1 draw with Serbia. The official replacement has not yet been named but its likely going to be Zenit midfielder Artur Yusupov

Dang, Russia's been hit hard with the injuries. Dzagoev was the worst but Denisov is a starter too is he not?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Given who's left on the team I'd try something like:

Smolov - Dzyuba - Kokorin
Shatov - Mamaev*
Shirokov*
Shennikov^ - Berezutski - Neustadter - Smolnikov

*Glushakov/Golovin/Ivanov
^Kombarov​

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Fantastic free kick goal by Korea against the Czechs, into the top corner, harsh to say Cech should have done better but he nearly made the save so some will question him I guess

Koreans were definitely strong in the first half, their speed exposed one of the Czechs' main weaknesses in not really having that explosive burst at their disposal. Overall the Czechs created quite a lot of chances and were unlucky not to score more, even after going down to ten men on what seemed to me to be two weak yellow card calls, though being at the game I didn't have the benefit of replays and may not have caught exactly what happened.

All in all it's probably better for the team to be coming off a loss than to have cruised through all their friendlies, plus the team has never won at Eden Stadium so I didn't have too high expectations :)

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Really too bad for Russia, now let's hope they give some playing time to younger players to prepare for 2018. With the format as it is they still can make a nice run this year though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
People say 24 teams is too much.

But if nations like Bosnia, Serbia, Scotland, Netherlands, Grecce, Denmark was in instead of nations like Romania, Wales, North Ireland, Slovakia, Hungary, Ukraine the tournament would have 24 good teams. There is potential. Hopefully next tournament the best 24 teams make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg