warnock.png
warnock.png
warnock.png
warnock.png
warnock.png

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Gladbach played an excellent game last night considering they were missing their best players. I was disappointed with our performance given how much we've improved this season, but the result was a fair indication of the game, even given that both goals were a result of easily avoided mistakes.

Everyone I've spoken to was impressed with them, and their fans. Sometimes you just have to hand it to the better team.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well the Barça-City match didn't live up to the billing. Both sides were just sloppy and poor with the ball at times. I actually think that while the scoreline alone makes one think City were schooled, while that certainly wasn't the case it was a fair result. While Barça were poor and looked a good two gears below top level, City were very poor. Otamendi made a few nice defensive plays in the first half, but he's all over the park defensively and chasing goals at about a quarter of the speed he should be. And while Stones is at least at the back from a positional sense, he once again didn't remotely impress me. In terms of approaching the match, assuming Kun Aguero was fully fit then Pep made a mistake not starting him. De Bruyne made some nice runs and then had no one to play it to. Certainly not David Silva who again failed to show up in a big match.

I think City should have had a penalty when Digne handled the ball at the tail end of the first half, but then Zabaleta should have been sent off before that. The Bravo and Mathieu sendings off though were correct. Not sure what either player was thinking, Bravo with that awful pass (I understand him handling the ball) and Mathieu making such a stupid challenge that far from goal.

Not too many things to write home about as regards the Barça players. Neymar with some good work off the ball including on the defensive end multiple times to go along with a nice enough goal, but then that awful penalty take and some poor balls late on. I liked Umtiti in this one and I thought Gomes did well getting the ball through City's midfield after coming on both with his passing and runs off the ball. Anyway, Messi Man of the Match for me.

I think Pep needs to consider backing off playing the ball out of the back a bit. City's defenders just don't look good enough to be able to do it full time just yet.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
Well the Barça-City match didn't live up to the billing. Both sides were just sloppy and poor with the ball at times. I actually think that while the scoreline alone makes one think City were schooled, while that certainly wasn't the case it was a fair result. While Barça were poor and looked a good two gears below top level, City were very poor. Otamendi made a few nice defensive plays in the first half, but he's all over the park defensively and chasing goals at about a quarter of the speed he should be. And while Stones is at least at the back from a positional sense, he once again didn't remotely impress me. In terms of approaching the match, assuming Kun Aguero was fully fit then Pep made a mistake not starting him. De Bruyne made some nice runs and then had no one to play it to. Certainly not David Silva who again failed to show up in a big match.

I think City should have had a penalty when Digne handled the ball at the tail end of the first half, but then Zabaleta should have been sent off before that. The Bravo and Mathieu sendings off though were correct. Not sure what either player was thinking, Bravo with that awful pass (I understand him handling the ball) and Mathieu making such a stupid challenge that far from goal.

Not too many things to write home about as regards the Barça players. Neymar with some good work off the ball including on the defensive end multiple times to go along with a nice enough goal, but then that awful penalty take and some poor balls late on. I liked Umtiti in this one and I thought Gomes did well getting the ball through City's midfield after coming on both with his passing and runs off the ball. Anyway, Messi Man of the Match for me.

I think Pep needs to consider backing off playing the ball out of the back a bit. City's defenders just don't look good enough to be able to do it full time just yet.

Like you said the scoreline doesn't reflect what we saw on the pitch before the individual mistake that led to the first goal and then Bravos send off that snowballed to Barcelona's domination. The game plan itself was working great for City.
That said, Barcelona loves to start scoring goals around mid second half against teams that press high or just park the buss. I feel like the way City was playing that was going to happen here too with the active pressure high up from City. But yeah, neither team should be too happy with the performance.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gladbach played an excellent game last night considering they were missing their best players. I was disappointed with our performance given how much we've improved this season, but the result was a fair indication of the game, even given that both goals were a result of easily avoided mistakes.

Everyone I've spoken to was impressed with them, and their fans. Sometimes you just have to hand it to the better team.

Stindl, Kramer and Strobl came to play, and I was satisfied with the way they flowed forward. But they just weren't as sharp as they usually with their final ball. Now part of that was missing Raffael/Dahoud/Hazard n having to play Hahn, but they were still sloppier than they should'be been.

As for their fans, yeah. They have the best fans in the first division, combined with the club's ethos that's why they're so well liked in Germany.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad