UEFA allowed Russian junior teams to participate, IIHF to follow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Today, UEFA announced it will allow Russian U17 teams to participate in international events although without the flag and the anthem.

I think this might open a possibility of IIHF doing the same for Russian junior teams.

Thoughts?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They could follow this and the International Tennis Federation's standard of allowing athletes to compete without officially recognizing the country.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
The answer from Tardif is a Big Fat No. No plans to discuss this in the upcoming IIHF meeting Oct. 5-7.

I guess the next we'll hear about it is in May where the ban will be extended for the 2024-25 season.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
While I vehemently oppose Russia in their current conflict, I don’t see the purpose it serves the world not allowing young athletes to compete due to the actions of their government. This will likely do little to dissuade the current Russian admin
because Money would flow to the Russian federation which in turn will then end up in the governments hands. Keep the ban.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
While I vehemently oppose Russia in their current conflict, I don’t see the purpose it serves the world not allowing young athletes to compete due to the actions of their government. This will likely do little to dissuade the current Russian admin
Hockey's very important to Russia, though. The administration included.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
because Money would flow to the Russian federation which in turn will then end up in the governments hands. Keep the ban.
The amount of money that flows into the govt's hands as a result of Russian juniors has to be an absolute pittance in the grand scheme of things, even if they hosted the WJC. The idea that does anything impactful at all is basically imaginary, and is designed far more for domestic audiences to feel like they're doing something without ever leaving their couch.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
No way to have this discussion without involving politics but I do think international hockey is much better with Russian players participating. I also know that there’s no way they will be allowed back anytime soon. Nobody will be willing to risk the backlash that will come if they are let back in, especially with all the negativity surrounding hockey culture the last few years.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I hope not. f*** IIHF and its tournaments. The only international tournament I'm up for is World Cup, because it's the NHL one.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Just inform you that the revenues of the state budget of the Russian Federation will increase by 35% year-on-year in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad