GWT: UCL Draw and QF First Legs

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also don’t think Real is the best side this year (didn’t they just lose to Barca in the league pretty convincingly?) but I am happy they’re in the other half

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Watching the match Bayern are lucky to only be down one.

They easily could've caught 3 or more.

They're going to need to start showing up for the first leg if they want to continue progressing...but I can't help but feel like they'd Salzburg Villareal, either way.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sane was finding plenty of space to flow them forward, and when they're coming at you in waves like that, it's usually just a matter of time before they start getting their touches perfect & pouring them in.

Villareal's win wasn't undeserved today, but they will need to be even better in the 2nd leg, to hold on.
Yeah, but when that dried up they needed to push him out wide where Coman or Musiala were because that was the only space still being given. Too passive around the edge of the box too, somebody needed to show some willingness to shoot the ball.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, but when that dried up they needed to push him out wide where Coman or Musiala were because that was the only space still being given. Too passive around the edge of the box too, somebody needed to show some willingness to shoot the ball.

Maybe it's just cause I've seen them do it too many times, but after the changes, it felt like they were starting to probe into Villarreal's box in the kind of waves that often turn into 3-4 goals really quickly...they just ran out of time & gas to pull it off in this leg.

But again, that might just be because too many times this season I have seen a team provide resistance to Bayern for the better part of an hour, only for my "Bayern to score 4 or more goals" bet to pay off after a 15-20 minute flurry.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They're just very uneven under Nagelsmann so far.

They have been at times, but I do wonder how much of that has been due to the health...specifically in the midfield. They were really rolling at the start of the year, but then Kimmich had his covid complications, and the other absences piled up really quick.

Though they have crazy depth in certain spots, they lose a lot when Lewa, Kimmich, Sane, or Süle is out.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They should still get through. 1 is not enough. At home, they’ll get a goal or two. My issue is they looked so vulnerable when Villarreal transitioned. It wasn’t complex, just decisive 1-2s and speed.

Liverpool have their own worries, and you never know against great clubs, but if that’s the way they show up first leg to Liverpool the tie is over.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They should still get through. 1 is not enough. At home, they’ll get a goal or two. My issue is they looked so vulnerable when Villarreal transitioned. It wasn’t complex, just decisive 1-2s and speed.

Liverpool have their own worries, and you never know against great clubs, but if that’s the way they show up first leg to Liverpool the tie is over.

That's just what happens when you have so many frenchies running around without a big strong German to set them straight :sarcasm:

But yeah, it's insane how much their defensive organization falls off when Süle doesn't start...and Neuer's aging behind them doesn't help...especially when they start Musiala in the midfield with Kimmich & Müller.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s how Emery setup, but yeah, lot of yellow attackers finding the ball in space, which would have to set Salah, Mane or Diaz drooling.

I think Bayern likely wore them down and gets a goal or two in another 10-15 minutes of match time, but the slow start did not help.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That's just what happens when you have so many frenchies running around without a big strong German to set them straight :sarcasm:

But yeah, it's insane how much their defensive organization falls off when Süle doesn't start...and Neuer's aging behind them doesn't help...especially when they start Musiala in the midfield with Kimmich & Müller.
They're going to have to figure something out in the not-so-distant future. As much as it pains me...Mr. Schlotterbeck to the white courtesy phone, you have a call.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Boom, it's "gud ibnin" time, baby! Nagelsmann just found out you can't really play at this level 3-1-6, lo Celso looked like prime Zidane and if Yeremy Pino would have gone in instead of Pedraza they would've scored 3 tonight. 2 great wins for La Liga's prestige too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They're going to have to figure something out in the not-so-distant future. As much as it pains me...Mr. Schlotterbeck to the white courtesy phone, you have a call.
BVB apparently convinced him to join them too, when he met with Kehl & Rose in Dortmund the other day.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Boom, it's "gud ibnin" time, baby! Nagelsmann just found out you can't really play at this level 3-1-6, lo Celso looked like prime Zidane and if Yeremy Pino would have gone in instead of Pedraza they would've scored 3 tonight. 2 great wins for La Liga's prestige too.
...the unfortunate thing is, they kinda can. At least for the first leg against teams like Villareal & Salzburg.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What I don't get is why UCL games aren't time staggered? I get it you have limited day windows to play these games in, but I would have liked to watch at least some of both games. Not to mention I would venture a guess that the media rights might be worth just a tad more if they didn't concurrently show matches.

Reactions: luiginb

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
that was last year tho
ya but even coming into today, the run of form favored us outside of the brentford game. which i think you could have attributed to first game back from intl break - espec when you consider that we had played well for a sustained period.

like what was the main difference bw the best 11 that both teams had available one year ago versus today?

we are missing chilwell and you guys added alaba. which are huge swings, but it's not as if chilwell would have prevented any of those 3 goals we conceded today.

Reactions: Power Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad