U20 World Jr. Championship Player Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Just about 60 days until the start of this tournament. This event is a big deal to me as its really the only chance I get to watch some of the best young prospects in the world.

Rosters are yet to be finalized but who do you think will be the best players on each team? Who will lead their team in scoring? Are you looking forward to watching a specific prospect? What '05 draftees might make their national squad? I'm more interested in specific player info/comments than Team predicitions.

My thoughts are below but I'm sure you'll have different opinions so let's get the discussion started! Please note that while I'm more familiar with Canada, USA, Russia, etc., some of my selections for Switerland, Germany, etc are pure guesswork off stats. So please be kind as I am very interested in your lists (or partial lists) for these teams.

Canada

MVP: Patrice Bergeron Edit Dec 5th - Original Selection was Nathan Horton
Leading Scorer: Patrice Bergeron
#1 Goaltender: Devan Dubnyk
#1 Defenceman: Dion Phaneuf
'05 Draftee(s): Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule
Can't wait to see: Cam Barker vs Braydon Coburn vs Dion Phaneuf

USA

MVP: Patrick O'Sullivan
Leading Scorer: Patrick O'Sullivan
#1 Goaltender: Al Montoya
#1 Defenceman: Ryan Suter
'05 Draftee(s): Jack Johnson
Can't wait to see: AJ Thelen, Drew Stafford, Rob Schremp

Sweden

MVP: Robert Nilsson
Leading Scorer: Robert Nilsson
#1 Goaltender: Magnus Akerlund
#1 Defenceman: Johan Fransson
'05 Draftee(s): Nicklas Bergfors, Mattias Modig, Niklas Hjalmarsson
Can't wait to see: Loui Eriksson, Johannes Salmonsson, Oscar Hedman

Russia

MVP: Alexander Ovechkin
Leading Scorer: Evgeny Malkin
#1 Goaltender: Anton Khudobin Edit Dec 5th Original Selection Sergei Borisov
#1 Defenceman: Krill Lyamin
'05 Draftee(s): Ilya Zubov
Can't wait to see: Enver Lisin, Alexander Radulov, Dmitry Chernikh

Finland

MVP: Petteri Nokelainen
Leading Scorer: Lauri Tukonen
#1 Goaltender: Aleksis Ahlqvist
#1 Defenceman: Ville Mantymaa
'05 Draftee(s): Otto Honkaheimo
Can't wait to see: Lauri Korpikoski

Belarus

MVP: Andrei Kostitsyn
Leading Scorer: Andrei Kostitsyn
#1 Goaltender: Alaiksei Hrytsenka
#1 Defenceman: Viachaslau Shypila
'05 Draftee(s): Siarhei Kostitsyn
Can't wait to see: Konstantin Zakharov

Germany

MVP: Marcus Kink
Leading Scorer: Ulrich Maurer
#1 Goaltender: Thomas Greiss
#1 Defenceman: Robert Dietrich
'05 Draftee(s): Thomas Pielmeier
Can't wait to see: If they can beat Switzerland.

Switzerland

MVP: Gianni Ehrensperger
Leading Scorer: Gianni Ehrensperger
#1 Goaltender: Michael Tobler
#1 Defenceman: Philippe Seydoux
'05 Draftee(s): ??
Can't wait to see: If they can beat Germany.

Czech Republic

MVP: Marek Schwarz
Leading Scorer: Rostislav Olesz
#1 Goaltender: Marek Schwarz
#1 Defenceman: Ladislav Smid
'05 Draftee(s): Jakob Kindl
Can't wait to see: If Schwarz was indeed the 3rd best goalie selected in 2004 NHL entry draft.

Slovakia

MVP: Stefan Ruzicka
Leading Scorer: Stefan Ruzicka
#1 Goaltender: Jaroslav Halak
#1 Defenceman: Andrej Meszaros
'05 Draftee(s): Marek Zagrapan
Can't wait to see: Boris Valabik vs Andrej Meszaros

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For Sweden, Christopher Heino-Lindberg should be the starting goalie. He's putting up great numbers in the tier-2. Also we don't know if the Habs will let Kostitsyn go, as AHL is more important to his development, although he has stated he would like to go to help his country since it was divison one last year.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Sweden

MVP: Carl Söderberg
Leading Scorer: Robert Nilsson
#1 Goaltender: Christopher Heino-Lindberg
#1 Defenceman: Johan Fransson
'05 Draftee(s): Nicklas Bergfors, Anton Strålman
Can't wait to see: Seen them all :D

Batkorny

Feb 6, 2004
I would say that Ahlqvist is not playing for the finns in the U20 tournament. He will be replaced by Tuukka Rask (-87 born) who plays for Ilves SM-liiga.
Korpikoski is injured at the moment, he´ll be back in two-three weeks.
Mäntymaa hasn´t played that well. Uotila or Kuukka (whl) is the #1 defenceman
05 draftee will be Teemu Laakso (-87 born) or Tuukka Rask (-87 born), they both play in the U20´s.
Jesse Joensuu will be a mistery. (-87 born, potential first round pick´06) plays for Ässät SM-liiga.

bossy22 said:
Finland

MVP: Petteri Nokelainen
Leading Scorer: Lauri Tukonen
#1 Goaltender: Aleksis Ahlqvist
#1 Defenceman: Ville Mantymaa
'05 Draftee(s): Otto Honkaheimo
Can't wait to see: Lauri Korpikoski

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Russia

MVP: Alexander Ovechkin
Leading Scorer: Alex Ovechkin
Can't wait to see: Enver Lisin, Alexander Radulov, Malkin, Ovechkin

Czech Republic

MVP: Rostislav Olesz
Leading Scorer: Rostislav Olesz or Jakub Sindel
#1 Goaltender: Marek Schwarz
#1 Defenceman: Ladislav Smid

Can't wait to see: If Olesz indeed, as I think, has a great offensive ability.

Florida should be well represented here. Olesz, Shantz, Stewart, Horton, etc...

BTW, does anyone know whether, being in the USA, the WJC's will be on TV like on ESPN or fox or something because here in Florida, we don't see much hockey other than the panthers.

Thanks.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
In Forum

...Chris Semrau, director of events and media relations at the Ralph in Grand Forks, said television deals for coast-to-coast American and Canadian coverage will be announced next week. Several European broadcast crews are also coming.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i know this is going to stir up an argument, but i really see no reason why Crosby can't lead Canada in scoring this time around

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
bossy22 said:
Canada

MVP: Nathan Horton
Leading Scorer: Patrice Bergeron
#1 Goaltender: Devan Dubnyk
'05 Draftee(s): Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule
Can't wait to see: Cam Barker vs Braydon Coburn vs Dion Phaneuf

As we get closer to the December Selection Camp, looks like two of my predictions (Horton & Dubnyk) may not even be on the squad.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_Story.asp?ID=104380

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?ID=104793&hubName=world_jrs

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Korpikoski played yesterday, so if he doesn't get injured again, he will play in the tournament.

Finland will have one good line with Tukonen, Nokelainen and Korpikoski, but otherwise it's not very good team.

If I could see the games, apart of those guys, I would like to see Masi Marjamäki again. He was very good against Russia (two goals and big hits) in QF last year.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
arrbez said:
i know this is going to stir up an argument, but i really see no reason why Crosby can't lead Canada in scoring this time around
No need to argue, but it really depends on what line he plays on and how much icetime he gets.Last year he played between 5-6 minutes a game.If he plays with Bergeron on the first line you might see it.I would like to see Horton play as well
but they shouldn't make an exception for him as far as the camp goes.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Less than 30 days

Now with less than 30 days until the tourny, hopefully there be more predictions posted.

For Canada....
I'm still going with Dubnyk but looks like I have to replace Horton so I'll go with Bergeon as Team Canada MVP.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
I'm going with all 7 d-men from the WHL, and both goalies as well. I think the goalies will be Nastiuk and Beauchemin, though Jeff Glass might be in the mix. David Shantz is the wild card from the OHL. No Dubnyk.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
My Predictions:

Canada

MVP: Patrice Bergeron
Leading Scorer: Sidney Crosby
#1 Goaltender: Kevin Nastiuk
Can't wait to see: How much Crosby has stepped up his game since last year's WJC and how he'll do with the added icetime... Also, I can't wait to see Nastiuk play at the WJC... I picked him up in the 4th round in an FHL league... Starting to look like the steal of the draft...

USA

MVP: Patrick O'Sullivan
Leading Scorer: Patrick O'Sullivan
#1 Goaltender: Al Montoya
#1 Defenceman: Ryan Suter
Can't wait to see: If Schremp makes the team and if so, how he performs in the tourny... I also can't wait to see Pineault play in the WJC and HOPEFULLY Robbie Earl...

I won't speculate on the other contries as I don't know them nearly as well...

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
saskhab said:
I'm going with all 7 d-men from the WHL, and both goalies as well. I think the goalies will be Nastiuk and Beauchemin, though Jeff Glass might be in the mix. David Shantz is the wild card from the OHL. No Dubnyk.
Burns will make the defense squad.....

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
shakes said:
Nice to see Mike Keenan is still an idiot. I was worried there for a bit.
With Horton sucking in the AHL right now after coming back from injury, he will probably hit full stride right about mid Dec which would suck for Canada as then they wouldn't let him go for sure.

If he continued to play without producing, I see Keenan letting him go to it to get his confidence up. Plus, Nathan would probably want to go play, though last year he wanted to stay in the NHL i believe.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
PanthersRule said:
With Horton sucking in the AHL right now after coming back from injury, he will probably hit full stride right about mid Dec which would suck for Canada as then they wouldn't let him go for sure.
It will be too late by mid December anyways... The camp starts in early December and Hockey Canada has a strict rule that they will not allow a player to miss any of the camp... So, if Horton was starting to pick it up in mid December he'd either be in camp at that time and therefore playing for Canada or he'd be in the AHL and not eligible to play for Canada...

And from the sound of it, Keenan's not going to let him go unless they allow him to miss most of camp... that's not going to happen...

BCCHL inactive

PanthersRule said:
Can't wait to see: If Olesz indeed, as I think, has a great offensive ability.

That is if Phaneuf doesn't catch him with his head down and knock his mouthguard down his throat again. ;) :p:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Van said:
That is if Phaneuf doesn't catch him with his head down and knock his mouthguard down his throat again. ;) :p:

Even if I don't like the hit by Phaneuf in last years WJC, it would be nice to see it go the other way this year. With Olesz knocking Phaneuf out of the tournament..
However, I really hope we don't have to see any hits like that this year. Those type of hits should be banned from hockey, they don't belong in hockey..

BCCHL inactive

Ville Isopää said:
Even if I don't like the hit by Phaneuf in last years WJC, it would be nice to see it go the other way this year. With Olesz knocking Phaneuf out of the tournament..
However, I really hope we don't have to see any hits like that this year. Those type of hits should be banned from hockey, they don't belong in hockey..

Under the IIHF rulebook, those hits are banned in hockey. Phaneuf was assessed the appropriate penalty.

Although I agree it was a check to the head, and the penalty assessed was just, it wasn't Phaneuf's intent to injure Olesz.

Penalty or not, Olesz had his head down, and he payed for it. That's hockey for you.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
"Switzerland

Can't wait to see: If they can beat Germany."

I believe that Roman Wick will be the MVP and leading scorer of the Swiss team. He is a point per game player in the WHL. Nice to see Seydoux getting some recognition.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ville Isopää said:

Olesz didn't pay attention and surfed with his head down, one of the first things players should learn is not to do that. He paid the price. IMHO that rule is stupid anyway.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Senator Stanley said:
"Switzerland

Can't wait to see: If they can beat Germany."

I believe that Roman Wick will be the MVP and leading scorer of the Swiss team. He is a point per game player in the WHL. Nice to see Seydoux getting some recognition.

Thanks for your notes. I know very little about Swiss Junior ranks so my list is based on last years performances and what I've read, not what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad