WJC: U20 WJC Semifinal game thread Sweden vs Finland

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This has to be one of the worst Swedish WJC teams I’ve personally ever seen

They were TRASH
You could barely tell who the top line was everyone sucked so bad.

Reactions: Statsy

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Yeah. And still waiting chance to coach in NHL.
But maybe that happens someday.

Jukka Jalonen is Finland's Mike Babcock.
Yeah hard statement but almost similar achievements ( Stanley Cup is only what Jalonen hasn't won )

Not really similar achievements.

I am no fan of Babcock but did I miss the multiple wins at best on best tournaments for Jalonen?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I don't want to play Canada in a gold medal game again. I'm exhausted from those three WHC finals in a row, like are we trying to make this a 7 game series or something?? :laugh:

Is Canada our rival now?? why can't we pick another small country and start bullying Latvia or something instead.
Finland has a 2-1 lead currently.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Really weak offensive effort by Sweden. That 5-on-3 was pathetic and the end push was a dud. They are so slow in creating offense it's like they all think they are a bunch of Mario Lemieux's out there. You gotta get a grind on and just get the puck to the net sometimes. Wallstedt was wasted on that team.

Reactions: behemolari

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
To who? sure people on HFboards will sit down and watch Czech / Austria but who else is spending 3 hours of their day watching that?

The 2023 will have just as little interest because theres only 4 teams that can realistically win the gold and two of them are as exciting as watching paint dry and one of them are being investigated for multiple rape accusations.
What is the argument though? Russia is not a powerhouse at U20 level and Finland and Sweden are not always boring just like Russia is not always exciting

So, with Russia it would have been 5 teams instead of 4, no big difference

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambo

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
This tournament desperately needs Russia back.

The worlds work because theres some decent teams that come out and can compete and even beat some of the elite teams but these age specific tournaments are going to be pretty meh until Russia is back.
When was the last time Russia won anything at this "age specific" tournaments?

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
What is the argument though? Russia is not a powerhouse at U20 level and Finland and Sweden are not always boring just like Russia is not always exciting

So, with Russia it would have been 5 teams instead of 4, no big difference
When was the last time Russia won anything at this "age specific" tournaments?
1. U18 Finalist in texas, the last two Hilinka Gretzky Cups they were in, they won.
Thats the age group that would've mostly made up this team. This is the team you think would make no difference?

The argument is simple. The tournaments legitimacy is threatened when you have 4 actual contenders. 5 with the occasional good Czech and Slovakia isn't great but its at least somewhat respectable.

The tournaments entertainment value is also threatened without Russia. Instead of 1 possible upset (czech vs USA) you have 1 possible upset, 1 gold medal fav vs massive underdog and then you have a great matchup between two of the top dogs. Russia would also force teams to be better. Imagine Sweden loses to USA, then has to play Russia. Instead of playing the most boring game possible, they try something different to see if they can get a better result. Now maybe Sweden adapts vs Finland in the semis and actually trys to score a goal and they now have the tools to pull it off because it was tried vs a team of high quality.

JayGould

Sep 17, 2016
Well, I was thinking Canada - Czech was boring. Now I watch this. This is the worst wjhc since I started following it closely in 1999.
Also the fact that they played in Canada. After messing up so hard in January (cancelling the tournament for BS reasons), I don't think Canada should ever get the chance to host a tournament again.

Canada is not a serious country.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
When is the last time Finland has even won a single best on best tournament? Cool rankings, primarily based upon scrap tournaments.
When was the last time best on best players were even able to participate?

I really would like to see how our national team could compete against the very best out there since our country is currently living its golden era of hockey. We have proven in countless occasions that you don't need to match other team's roster to beat them.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
When was the last time best on best players were even able to participate?

I really would like to see how our national team could compete against the very best out there since our country is currently living its golden era of hockey. We have proven in countless occasions that you don't need to match other team's roster to beat them.
Exactly this. Great comment, so spot on!

Reactions: FinPanda

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
From a swedish stand point it's obviously dissapointing, but without Raymond, Holz and Eklund.. this team had absolute no punch and it showed and I'm surprised they even reached the Semis. It was not a very good team with a below average coach. Montens resume for his tenure speaks volumes.

Congrats Finland, deserved win and I will root for them in the final.

The real crime though, prime time, Friday evening, Semifinals... 3 dozens in the crowd.
Abysmal. Time for the IIHF to realize that there are more countries outside of Canada, move the tournament outside of Canada for half a decade.

Reactions: edd1e

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad