U20, U18 & U16 leagues discussion 2013-2014

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I had thought of doing this kind of thread for a while and decided to do it for next season. I have noticed that there are people here who are interested in juniors. This could be a thread where you can talk about matches, teams, players, etc. If Moderators think this thread isn't necessary, you can bring this together with "Finnish Top Prospects" thread :)

I'll start with HIFK U20. The team will have good talent, although there has been some player movement. Two top defenseman Juha Tarkkanen and Jori Pakkanen probably won't return, Pakkanen already signed with SaPKo. One of the top offensive players, Nico Friman doesn't have a contract anywhere yet. But, however, there are some players who could have breakout years. Forwards Aleksi Ainali and Niko Kivelä have talent. I like the goalies Samuli Eskuri and Patrik Virtanen. Virtanen especially had a solid year in the U18 league. Defense is not very experienced at the Junior A level, but there is some talent there.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Jokerit U18

Thought of doing a small preview about this team as well. I think Jokerit will have a good chance to succeed in the league. There are some very skilled players such as Petrus Palmu, Jarkko Aalto and Niko Lönnroos, who comes from HIFK. Also keep an eye on Juuso Nevalainen and Kami Kortelainen.
Defense seems good. Olli Juolevi is a talented player and Jesse Söderqvist and Sebastian Rosenqvist could develop into good players.
There are four goalies there, and I see Patrik Jokela being a very good goaltender. He played for HIFk before moving to the USA last season.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for doing this thread, it's good to have more info about finnish jr leagues/players. It might be hard to talk about a specific jr league, since players jump from one to another so frequently, so the discussion might turn more into a general jr players thread.

What can you tell me about Olli Juolevi? I haven't seen him play but his name has been thrown around a bit and the numbers look good. Impressive stats for an underaged defenseman in jr.C last year, and he's pretty big too, 185cm/75kg according to EP.

Apart from Puljujärvi and Laine (who I'm assuming are at the moment above every other 98-born finn), how talented does the 98 crop look like in regards of potential top talent? I've heard good things about guys like Juolevi and Emil Oksanen, but I know nothing about them.

Also what do you think Blues' u16 and u18 teams look like? any top potential players I should keep an eye on? Being from Espoo I will most likely checking quite a few Blues jr games this coming season.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
What can you tell me about Olli Juolevi? I haven't seen him play but his name has been thrown around a bit and the numbers look good. Impressive stats for an underaged defenseman in jr.C last year, and he's pretty big too, 185cm/75kg according to EP.

Juolevi is a great two-way defenseman. He has good size, above-average puck skills and understanding of the game. His shot has appeared to be good as well. Not bad in his own defensive zone either. Looking forward to see him playing more during the next season.

Apart from Puljujärvi and Laine (who I'm assuming are at the moment above every other 98-born finn), how talented does the 98 crop look like in regards of potential top talent? I've heard good things about guys like Juolevi and Emil Oksanen, but I know nothing about them.

I think the 1998 born age group looks promising. There are big and skilled players. There is good depth too. Puljujärvi and Laine are obviously very talented, but players like Markus Nurmi, Olli Juolevi, and Tarmo Reunanen also have lots of talent.

Emil Oksanen is a very talented player. He can skate, pass, shoot and he is versatile. He is really dangerous in the offensive zone when given time and space. I really like the player.

Also what do you think Blues' u16 and u18 teams look like? any top potential players I should keep an eye on? Being from Espoo I will most likely checking quite a few Blues jr games this coming season.

I am going to try see some particular players more next season. Riku Törnqvist is a very talented goalie who came from Jää Ahmat to Blues U16. On the U18 team look for defenseman Veeti Vainio (if he plays at that level) and Urho Vaakanainen. Forwards Oksanen and Joonas Niemelä are very good players.

Big, but pretty skilled defenseman Mikko Kaisko is interesting. Forward Anton Iiskola has size and good skills.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Juolevi is a great two-way defenseman. He has good size, above-average puck skills and understanding of the game. His shot has appeared to be good as well. Not bad in his own defensive zone either. Looking forward to see him playing more during the next season.

I think the 1998 born age group looks promising. There are big and skilled players. There is good depth too. Puljujärvi and Laine are obviously very talented, but players like Markus Nurmi, Olli Juolevi, and Tarmo Reunanen also have lots of talent.

Emil Oksanen is a very talented player. He can skate, pass, shoot and he is versatile. He is really dangerous in the offensive zone when given time and space. I really like the player.

I am going to try see some particular players more next season. Riku Törnqvist is a very talented goalie who came from Jää Ahmat to Blues U16. On the U18 team look for defenseman Veeti Vainio (if he plays at that level) and Urho Vaakanainen. Forwards Oksanen and Joonas Niemelä are very good players.

Thanks for the write-ups, too bad I know too little of some of the younger players that I don't have much to offer in terms of info, so I'll just stick to asking questions :laugh:

Do you know what the situation is with Laine? He was kicked off the NT for a while, and I was expecting him to return but so far he hasn't. Finland can't afford to lose super talents just because they are teenagers that are tough to handle.

I'm half expecting Vainio to play in jr. A already, he looked very impressive in the u17 NT last year. Forgot about Vaakanainen! I'm pretty excited about him.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks for the write-ups, too bad I know too little of some of the younger players that I don't have much to offer in terms of info, so I'll just stick to asking questions :laugh:

Do you know what the situation is with Laine? He was kicked off the NT for a while, and I was expecting him to return but so far he hasn't. Finland can't afford to lose super talents just because they are teenagers that are tough to handle.

I'm half expecting Vainio to play in jr. A already, he looked very impressive in the u17 NT last year. Forgot about Vaakanainen! I'm pretty excited about him.

Unfortunately I don't have any more information about Laine's situation.

What I do know is he is a very good player, and there are not many this type of forward prospects in Finland. :) Laine has excellent size, strong shot, and can make difficult high end passes look easy. Can hit and has good skating abilities. If he can improve his defensive effort in future, he'll be without a doubt an even better player in all three zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad