Prospect Info: U20 4-Nations Tournament (Nov-12/14) Update post #40

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Between August 26th and 28th, there will be the U20 4-Nations Tournament between Czech Republic, Russia, Finland, and Sweden.

To no one's surprise, Mysak has been named to Czech's squad.

I imagine Kapanen will also be there for Finland.

And then it will be interesting to see if Kostenko will be named for Russia.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Mysak on the U-20 Czech squad (no surprise) for the 4-Nations Tournament that will also have Sweden, Finland, and Russia.

I very much expect him to dominate his age group all year, both in the OHL and at the international level. I think he's in line for a major step in his development.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Nice.

So we will have Mysak, Kostenko, and Kapanen to watch in this tournament. All that's left is to have Kapanen confirmed as part of Finland, but I'd be surprised if he's not on it.

And hope they will all be at the WJC so we can have 4 prospects to watch during the holidays (Mysak, Kapanen, Kostenko, and Guhle).

Edit: forgot that Tuch may also make the USA WJC roster. So Habs may have 5 prospects at the WJC).

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice.

So we will have Mysak, Kostenko, and Kapanen to watch in this tournament. All that's left is to have Kapanen confirmed as part of Finland, but I'd be surprised if he's not on it.

And hope they will all be at the WJC so we can have 4 prospects to watch during the holidays (Mysak, Kapanen, Kostenko, and Guhle).

The amount of WJC we have drafted is well above average over the last 4 drafts. I have not tracked it but I would imagine we are up there with any other team. It's a positive sign

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The amount of WJC we have drafted is well above average over the last 4 drafts. I have not tracked it but I would imagine we are up there with any other team. It's a positive sign

Yea, Habs have had a few prospects playing in the WJC the last few years.

In 2019, Habs had prospects everywhere. They had 7 prospects across 5 teams, with Poehling and Romanov winning individual awards.

Canada: Suzuki & Brook
USA: Primeau & Poehling (silver medal + Ryan was forward of the tournament & MVP)
Russia: Romanov (bronze medal + defenseman of the tournament)
Finland: Ylonen (gold medal)
Sweden: Olofsson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nice.

Edit: forgot that Tuch may also make the USA WJC roster. So Habs may have 5 prospects at the WJC).

I would put Tuch's odds at higher then Kostenko's. I asked one of the Russian posters about him and he said it was too soon to say. I would expect Kostenko to make it but it could be tight, will likely need to have a good season. I think Tuch is a lock but we'll see.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So the prospects schedule will be:

August 26th
Kostenko vs. Sweden
Kapanen vs. Mysak

August 27th
Kostenko vs. Kapanen
Mysak vs. Sweden

August 28t
Kostenko vs. Mysak
Kapanen vs. Sweden

Reactions: Sagikev

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Really looking forward to this tournament. It'll be interesting to see how our prospects slot into their respective teams and the roles that they'll play.

If we had to guess - Mysak will be a 1st line player, most likely at center and team captain. Kostenko might be used on the 3rd pairing and one of the PP units. Kapanen? I'm hoping he carves out an integral identity for himself on the team...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Today is the start of the 4-Nations Tournament.

It will be Czech Republic (Mysak) vs. Finland (Kapanen) at 10AM ET.

And then 1:30PM ET, Russia (Kostenko) will take on Sweden.

I don't know if the games will be available somewhere online for a live stream on a legit platform.

Reactions: Wats

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Czech Republic won 3-0 against Finland today.

No points for Mysak. And obviously, no points for Kapanen (or anyone else on Finland for that matter).

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
While it's true that having a lot of players in the WJC every does nothing to guarantee future success, from a fan standpoint I love it when we have multiple players repping different countries. WJC is great hockey every year, it's the tournament I always look forward to most and it's the best because I am typically off work for the Holidays.

I love waking up early in the AM on a cold January morning, making a nice pot of coffee, and watching our top prospects battle it out.

A couple years ago when Poehling and Romanov went crazy was amazing, but my fav was watching Reway dominate for Slovakia (I'm expecting him to have an amazing year this season btw).

Reactions: bopeep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad