HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Idk if the solution for blow out wouldn't be a joint-team between regions to bolster the teams a little bit. Ukraine/BLr/Kazak/China/Mongolia, Denmark/Norway/Iceland, Slovenia/Latvia, etc. Language barriers would be real but st least they'd be somewhat competitive and not blow-outs every game.

That or cut the number of teams for tournament A and have tournament B to open up spots, basically making a B tournament and making B tournament the C one? Idk. It just always sucked to have gimme games like this, although it makes great miracle stories when they win.
You might want to check your world map to check where Latvia and Slovenia are.

I agree with the overall point, but Latvia could make sense with Estonia and Lithuania, even Poland if you want to push it a little, while Slovenia could make sense with Austria and other Balkan countries.

Reactions: jaffy27

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Over the years, i’ve learned not to take seriously U18 production. We’ve seen player dominating the tournament and ending up busts and we’ve seens players with ok U18 ending up very good players.

Reactions: vokiel and bopeep

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You might want to check your world map to check where Latvia and Slovenia are.

I agree with the overall point, but Latvia could make sense with Estonia and Lithuania, even Poland if you want to push it a little, while Slovenia could make sense with Austria and other Balkan countries.
Estonia/Lithuania are C tier countries but I guess if we're going to take the 2-3 best of those to make a team it could make sense. I just clustered countries actually in the tournament while drawing parallel lines which separates countries in central Asian, east euro, west euro and northern euro regions. Clustering even weaker teams like estonia to "stronger" teams like Latvia doesn't do much lol.

Anyway, it's a very big problem in IIHF IMO. I'm not sure how FIFA does it but maybe the template could be an inspiration.

Haven't seen Tij Ignila much in this tournament.

Won't help his draft stock IMO.

Demidov, Lindstrom or Catton for me.
He's going to show up when it matters and when the games are tight. He's a pro-player, he's not an open ice-carry and rush player.

Reactions: Andrei79

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Biggest issue so far for Iginla this tournament has been his puck protection, really getting disrupted early on in his handles.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I am still high on Iginla. Good regular season. Great playoff performance. 2G 1A against SWE and CZE. I see him as a big game player. It also helps he isn't injured and looks strong.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Quarter-final games are crazy early.

Relegation game between Norway and Kazakhstan is at 4 am. Lol Yeah, no thanks. I think Kazakhstan wins that one. They've been impressive.

QF:

5 am: USA vs Switzerland
7:45 am: Czech Republic vs Slovakia
10 am: Finland vs Sweden
12:45 pm: Canada vs Latvia

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Quarter-final games are crazy early.

Relegation game between Norway and Kazakhstan is at 4 am. Lol Yeah, no thanks. I think Kazakhstan wins that one. They've been impressive.

QF:

5 am: USA vs Switzerland
7:45 am: Czech Republic vs Slovakia
10 am: Finland vs Sweden
12:45 pm: Canada vs Latvia
Cant fault the IIHF for not going full Dana White on this one. The goal is to grow the game globally.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The good news is we do have 2 firsts in 2025. We just need both of Calgary & Florida to tank next year & both get into bottom 10.

Calgary wins the lottery at #1, and takes Hagens. Florida wins #2, we get that pick, and take Martone.

What's the odds?

Just realized this scenario can't work. Florida's pick is lottery protected, which means the highest pick can be #3.

Reactions: Mrb1p

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Outside of the swastika snapchat with his buddy, he's got a long history of bullying teammates, some alleged slurs, and two incidents of urinating and defecating in teammates bags.

The slurs and snapchat already take him off the list, if that didn't happen the culture stuff is still too important to the Habs for them to invest high draft capital into a shitty teammate. Character and culture is too important to them.
Sounds like a real quality human being, wtf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad