SHL: U18 prospects leaving Sweden will not be eligible for Team Sweden (U18 and below)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
right decision, but not perfect.

Have a look at international player tranfers in football, hockey and basketball.

1) FIFA and FIBA ban international transfers of players under 18 yrs (exceptions if family moved or the player leaves country to study). IIHF does not ban international transfers of players under 18 yrs. Club can ban tranfer if the player has pro-contract. I would like to ask you how many players U18 have such pro-contract in Finland. Majority of U18 players, or almost nobody? If almost nobody, how can clubs keep their top prospects? I have no problem if euro players go to CHL (or slovaks/czechs to SHL/SM-Liiga) at the age of 16... I have problem if they go for free.

A former member national association can only refuse to sign a LOA if one of the four reasons in section I article 2.2(c) exists

2.2 c)
The former member national association may only refuse to sign the transfer card (or LOA) if:1) the player is a signed professional player currently under a professional player contract (refer to section II article 4 for appeal procedures)
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_...ternational_Transfer_Regulations_20130204.pdf

2) FIFA and FIBA have mechanism of developing fee which must pay new club of a player to his former club... and this is paid if a player is/is not under contract. If a player is under contract, his club can ask transfer fee as well (in NBA case part of transfer fee is paid by player as I wrote earlier). In hockey there is not "development fee" if a player transfers from lets say Europe to CHL or SM-Liiga to KHL/SHL...

3) transfer fee - does not exist in hockey. In basketball/football no problem. NBA respects euro contracts of players, NHL does not. Why?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
A few players could hurt from this. Development is very individual. Also could give wrong idea about tre kronor wanting to win. Aside from that i think it's a good message.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I hope Adrian Kempe dont report to Barrie Colts.

It's just one year of national team play as U17 players can't go to the CHL. Kempe, Forsbacka et al. are U19 players a year from now and then it's time for the U20 team where they are eligible no matter where they play.

The odd guy might care much about the Hlinka and U18 Worlds, but most won't over their personal development.

This, in my opinion, is a no win-no win.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's just one year of national team play as U17 players can't go to the CHL. Kempe, Forsbacka et al. are U19 players a year from now and then it's time for the U20 team where they are eligible no matter where they play.

The odd guy might care much about the Hlinka and U18 Worlds, but most won't over their personal development.

This, in my opinion, is a no win-no win.

Agree, not best rule, the best is what I wrote at #2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad