U18 Ivan Hlinka and U18 IIHF Worlds

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Who agrees both these tournament should be attended by the very best of all countries???

The Ivan Hlinka is a very good tournament and a great start to the season. I guess the only problem is USA Hockey essentially sending its B+ team. They should send the best and considering they are not even coming close each year I am sure they are considering it.

As for the IIHF Worlds, this tournament should be pushed back by 3 or 4 weeks and Hockey Canada can pretty much send its 'A' team rather than only being able to select from players knocked out of the 1st round of the CHL playoffs or teams that didnt make it. Even with this handicap Canada has won the tournament in the past and been in a few finals.

This would make for much better tourneys and better competition.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
It would be nice but its only U18 level. Nobodys gonna bend over backwards for it, its just not that important. Unlike the U20, U18 is used moreso for viewing, testing and giving young players exposure.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's very generous to say that the U.S. sends it's "B" team to the Ivan Hlinka tourney. More like a "D" (at best). It is what it is: a non IIHF sanctioned tourney that doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. Props to Canada for it's routine success, but it's not close to a best on best event.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I think it's very generous to say that the U.S. sends it's "B" team to the Ivan Hlinka tourney. More like a "D" (at best). It is what it is: a non IIHF sanctioned tourney that doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. Props to Canada for it's routine success, but it's not close to a best on best event.

I think I said B+ and u could argue many of these guys would be on the Team USA 'A' team if given the chance. The USA U17/18 teams are not the 'best' teams either, but benefit from the fact they play together all year and attract a good percentage of the top players in each age group.

Heck last winter, the USA U17 squad didnt even win the World Challenge in Winnipeg. A single province(Ontario) beat them in the final and took home gold.

As far as the Hlinka, it is just as much a best on best as any other tournament in the world, probably more so that even the WJ's. Tell me one country that doesnt send their best to the Hlinka? Ya, didnt think so.....:nod:

The IIHF tourney is not even a year later than the Hlinka and does not include as many top prospects as the Hlinka.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
As for the IIHF Worlds, this tournament should be pushed back by 3 or 4 weeks and Hockey Canada can pretty much send its 'A' team rather than only being able to select from players knocked out of the 1st round of the CHL playoffs or teams that didnt make it. Even with this handicap Canada has won the tournament in the past and been in a few finals.

This would make for much better tourneys and better competition.

European players will already been out of action for a month, some two (Finnish junior leagues end in early March), and you want to extend the the break? Well, of course if it benefits Team Canada!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
European players will already been out of action for a month, some two (Finnish junior leagues end in early March), and you want to extend the the break? Well, of course if it benefits Team Canada!

Well if some of you junior leagues are already out of action for 2 months by the time the IIHF U18 starts in early April, that may be a reason your country isnt winning anything lol. Ending the season at the beginning of February is rather odd.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It's fine the way it is. Best on best is a fuzzier proposition the younger you get players anyway. This is like double the opportunity to see players, and also a chance to see a few others on bigger stages who might otherwise have been overlooked. It doesn't need to be a marketable product for TV audiences or anything like that, the U-20 WJC is there for that. Status quo on the U-18 setup would be my preference.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well if some of you junior leagues are already out of action for 2 months by the time the IIHF U18 starts in early April, that may be a reason your country isnt winning anything lol. Ending the season at the beginning of February is rather odd.

The players that are in the squads may have been out of action that early due to their team being not making the playoffs or eliminated early. Bear in mind that in Europe, juniors rarely play more than 30-40 regular season games plus the playoffs are usually best of 5 (talking Finnish junior leagues), they play in smaller arenas, ice time in those is scarce, plus practically all the players are in school which sets in own limits. From what I've read, Swedish B-juniors don't play that long either. Besides, the Finnish hockey federation has a long training camp before the tournament, though there's not much competitive matches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad