U17 World Hockey Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Owen Sound Attack have sent Wes Cunningham and Kevin Baker to play for team Ontario...anyone explain to me why Bobby Ryan isn't on the USA roster?

Hopefully this means Owen Sound has a bright future with these three...course they'll lose Jarret and Ruzicka next season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
balddog66 said:
Owen Sound Attack have sent Wes Cunningham and Kevin Baker to play for team Ontario...anyone explain to me why Bobby Ryan isn't on the USA roster?

Hopefully this means Owen Sound has a bright future with these three...course they'll lose Jarret and Ruzicka next season.

Hasn't Ryan become a key player for them? Last I checked, he's been playing very well of late and was closing in on 20 goals.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
balddog66 said:

Bobby Ryan wasn't selected, not because he wasn't worthy (I think he'll be a very good one), but the USA always send their developmental team (USDP) to the U-17s. The guys play together on exhibition tours and are based in Ann Arbor, so the US side feel comfortable in going with them instead of supplementing the roster with players in the OHL or elsewhere.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
U17

moosefan said:
Yeah I am doing scouting at the games I leave for Newfoundland December 28 and come back on the 6th of Jan. so I will put some thoughts up after the 6th.

Just wondering if anybody who saw a lot of the U17 tourney had any thoughts? Based on what you saw, which players project to be the biggest offensive threats in the NHL down the line?

Thanks

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
88Nords19 said:
Just wondering if anybody who saw a lot of the U17 tourney had any thoughts? Based on what you saw, which players project to be the biggest offensive threats in the NHL down the line?

Thanks

I seen every team play except Finland
The teams I saw of the most were these 5

The best players

Atlantic
-F Daniel Ryder
-D Luc Bourdon
-G Ryan Mior

Quebec
-F Latendresse
-D Paquet
-G Levasseur

Germany
-F Christoph Gawlik

USA
-F Philip Kessel
-F Gerbe
-F Mueller (only 15)
-Good D

Slovakia
- F Marcinko (only 15)
- Their Goalie

*** Saw Brule/Setoguchi/Bradford line-awesome!!
*** Saw Cogilano once-Great player
*** Saw Chris Durand once-Great player
*** Saw Russia- two good ones, Anikeenko and Churilov

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
GOBRUINS19 said:

The best players

Atlantic
-F Daniel Ryder
-D Luc Bourdon
-G Ryan Mior

Quebec
-F Latendresse
-D Paquet
-G Levasseur

Germany
-F Christoph Gawlik

USA
-F Philip Kessel
-F Gerbe
-F Mueller (only 15)
-Good D

Slovakia
- F Marcinko (only 15)
- Their Goalie

Russia- Anikeenko IMO was the best d-man there, Buravchikov might have been almost just as good as Anikeenko. The best forward for Russia was Istomin and Churilov as well was super for them. Alexander Sopin who was thought to be the best russian forward did nothing. Sergei Belykov was a good forward as well, he is 2006 ranked but Egor Makarov also 2006 ranked was maybe their 3rd best forward hhere.

For the USA I thought Jack Johnson was their best player followed by Nathan Gerbe then Phil Kessel, I never like Mueller too much IMO I found him lazy and uninspired on the ice the best 88 born there was Chad Morin of the USA a real good speedy d-man.

Brule and Setoguchi were awsome, too bad Bertram hurt his MCL in the first game taking him out for two months, IMO Bertram could have better offense than Brule.

Cogliano and McNeill were the best on Ontario followed by a real impressive Steve Downie and Chris Lawrence, O'Marra and Little were good as well and Staal was not a stand out but very safe on defense and very dependable on the ice.

Finald had a guy named Mikko Lehtonen who was IMO the best player they had besides their goalie who was awsome. Lehtonen was a fast skater with a very heavy shot.

Quebec had Latendresse, Levasseur and Paquet carry them to where ever they went.

Mior, Saulnier, Ryder were the best on Atlantic...I would put Bourdon here but if people really watched him excpect for his great rushes he takes himself of of position too much and tries to do too much with the puck causing odd man rushes dow nthe other way and really coughing up goals for his team.

Western had Chris Durand and that was about it he waseverything to that team and he was playing with a hurt shoulder.

Gawlik for Germany was everything as well, I posted on this with his name read that for more details.

Slovak I never seen enough of so can't really do them.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
GOBRUINS19 said:

The best players

Atlantic
-F Daniel Ryder
-D Luc Bourdon
-G Ryan Mior

Quebec
-F Latendresse
-D Paquet
-G Levasseur

Germany
-F Christoph Gawlik

USA
-F Philip Kessel
-F Gerbe
-F Mueller (only 15)
-Good D

Slovakia
- F Marcinko (only 15)
- Their Goalie

Well, Durand has like 23pts in 29 games for Seattle of WHL at only 16 yrs of age. That's pretty good for a rookie playing on a very bad Thunderbirds club.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
monster_bertuzzi said:
IMO the top 10 players of the tournament:

Brule
Cogliano
Anikeenko
Latendresse
Bradford
O'Marra
Gauthier
Setoguchi
Churilov
Gawlik

Offensivly I would put Istomin and Downie on that list along with d-men Buravchikov and McNeill.

I would take off Bradford, O'Marra and Gauthier. Bradford had alot of trouble holding on to the puck and was pushed off the puck super easy, got alot of points because he was on the line of Brule and Setoguchi IMO (I think Bradford was highly overrated at this tourny). O'Marra was good but Steve Downie brought the line together with him, Cogliano and Clune, Downie opened my eyes alot here, very slick stickhandler with great playmaking and passing skills, also does alot of dirty work as well, Downie was by far maybe the 2nd best Ontario forward there. Gauther IMO was decent on the back end but in no fact a standout, though people will not notice him out there he still showed that he is very raw still, he got beat a few times bad by watching the puck and not his man and he lost where he was on the ice a few times which costs a goal, Burvchikov or Patrick McNeill to me were the better two d-men, Burvchikov looks like Anton Volchenkov with better vision and passing on the ice, Patrick McNeill was as safe as they get in the back end and also was great at creating offense from the point. Istomin to me was the best Russian forward, very creative stickhandler; maybe the best playmaker, vision and passing on the team to go along with speed and a good accurate shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia