U17 World Hockey Challenge

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Here is Czech roster... No Benak which is criminal to me... He would've killed it! Nonetheless @czech... Who are th guys to look for here? Is this good ? Any omissions?

• Wow
Reactions: Goodman68

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
Yeah this will be fun to watch. Im looking forward too see how we plays at small rink vs USA and Canada since this age group never met them. Last year was just sad but now we should be more competitive.

Reactions: Czechboy

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
When can we expect Canadian rosters? The format has changed and Canada will only send 2 teams this year instead of 3, which I am in favor of tbh. I loved the old format and if they were going to have 3 teams at least they could have made them regional-based (West + Pacific, Quebec + Atlantic, Ontario in the old format).

I am hoping to get to a few of these games live this year

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019

Here is Czech roster... No Benak which is criminal to me... He would've killed it! Nonetheless @czech... Who are th guys to look for here? Is this good ? Any omissions?

I think Benak is not eligible anymore. And will play with U20 probably.

Edit: So I dont know if not eligible, but its stated in the article here on hokej,cz that he has "overgrown" the category, so I dont know how should I understand that lol. He is expected to play with U18 or maybe more likely with U20 to test if he can maybe even go to WJC.

Last edited:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019

As for the lineup I think it looks very interesting. Biggest star will be A.Novotny imo, who is killing it in czech U20 as 15yrs old (makes it more impressive that he is 2026 draft class and not 25 like most others) and also have a couple of starts and a goal already with Hradec mens squad in ELH. But also Cerny, Zahejsky, Cihar and Krcal are playing very good in U20 (altough Cihar and Krcal didnt play much games yet, but they are both above ppg), so they will be also interesting to watch. Mikel also playing with Zlin U20 already and doing good.

As for the guys from abroad, Frolo is doing very good in Finnish U20 as a 15yrs old, and he is playing for the absolute worst team there lol, so he also looks very insteresting. Poletin was also promoted from Finnish U18 to U20, and Pavlik with Pekar eventhough their club season doesnt look as impressive so far, they were both really great in the U17 NT so far. Pekar actually with 8 goals in 7 games for czech U17 so far this season.

So overall I think this is an interesting and strong team, especially wih a lot of offensive firepower. We might even not finish last this year lol.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I think Benak is not eligible anymore. And will play with U20 probably.

Edit: So I dont know if not eligible, but its stated in the article here on hokej,cz that he has "overgrown" the category, so I dont know how should I understand that lol. He is expected to play with U18 or maybe more likely with U20 to test if he can maybe even go to WJC.
Benák is of course eligible. Which also follows from the article. I am quite surprised that they took this step. I don't remember that there was ever a time when a Czech player didn't go to this tournament because he outgrew him in terms of performance.
It looks like he will get more of a chance in the U20s. He will focus on U18 after that.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
As for the lineup I think it looks very interesting. Biggest star will be A.Novotny imo, who is killing it in czech U20 as 15yrs old (makes it more impressive that he is 2026 draft class and not 25 like most others) and also have a couple of starts and a goal already with Hradec mens squad in ELH. But also Cerny, Zahejsky, Cihar and Krcal are playing very good in U20 (altough Cihar and Krcal didnt play much games yet, but they are both above ppg), so they will be also interesting to watch. Mikel also playing with Zlin U20 already and doing good.

As for the guys from abroad, Frolo is doing very good in Finnish U20 as a 15yrs old, and he is playing for the absolute worst team there lol, so he also looks very insteresting. Poletin was also promoted from Finnish U18 to U20, and Pavlik with Pekar eventhough their club season doesnt look as impressive so far, they were both really great in the U17 NT so far. Pekar actually with 8 goals in 7 games for czech U17 so far this season.

So overall I think this is an interesting and strong team, especially wih a lot of offensive firepower. We might even not finish last this year lol.
This event and our placement in it.. It's so strange, under the old system I think we lost at least 2 times all the matches in the group to finally win the bronze medal. As if we have to gain experience first and then some self-confidence. Compared to others, we usually lack this from the start. After all, last year, as you write, we finished last and played a famous tournament at the HGC.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Benák is of course eligible. Which also follows from the article. I am quite surprised that they took this step. I don't remember that there was ever a time when a Czech player didn't go to this tournament because he outgrew him in terms of performance.
It looks like he will get more of a chance in the U20s. He will focus on U18 after that.
I guess they want to see if he can keep up with the older guys at international level, So they can bringh him to WJC.

Or at least, thats what makes sense for me why he would not go with U17. It definitely wont be to go on some friendly tournament with the u18.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland

Goalies:
1 Kerkola Patrik, KalPa Kuopio
30 Sammalniemi Jooa, Lukko Rauma

Defenders:
2 Ervasti Alvar, Kärpät Oulu
3 Kotajärvi Jesper, Tappara Tampere
4 Paju Aaron, TPS Turku
5 Ruotsalainen Veeti, Kärpät Oulu
6 Saari Julius, Jokerit Helsinki
8 Uusitalo Erno, Jokerit Helsinki
9 Boelius Lasse, Ässät Pori
24 Vänninen Emil, Tappara Tampere

Forwards:
10 Joki Atte, Lukko Rauma
11 Kämäräinen Rasmus, Jokerit Helsinki
12 Pihlman Rafael, JYP Jyväskylä
13 Baggström Rasmus, HIFK Helsinki
14 Orpana Eetu, Tappara Tampere
16 Grandell Niklas, HIFK Helsinki
17 Rajala Joonas, Tappara Tampere
18 Somervuori Jere, HIFK Helsinki
19 Strömberg Benjamin, Jokerit Helsinki
21 Westergård Max, Frölunda Ruotsi
25 Aaltonen Johannes, Jokerit Helsinki
29 Vanninen Aapo, Jokerit Helsinki

Pretty expected lineup. 2 Key players missing 2nd center Jasu Mensonen and Jeremi Virtanen

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I guess they want to see if he can keep up with the older guys at international level, So they can bringh him to WJC.

Or at least, thats what makes sense for me why he would not go with U17. It definitely wont be to go on some friendly tournament with the u18.
I agree and it makes sense but I really wanted to see him play this

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Sweden

GOALIES
1. William Forsberg
30. Isak Sörqvist

DEFENDERS
2. Hugo Hallin
3. Oliwer Sjöström
4. Karl Annborn
5. Sascha Boumedienne
6. Aron Dahlqvist
7. Joe Wahlund
9. William Håkansson

FORWARDS
11. Jakob Ihs Wozniak
14. Filip Ekberg
15. Ivar Stenberg
16. Anton Frondell
17. Torkel Jennersjö
20. Eddie Genborg
22. Milton Gästrin
23. Noel Skarby
24. Eric Nilson
25. Viktor Klingsell
26. William Morin
27. Melvin Novotny
28. Gustav Hillström

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This event and our placement in it.. It's so strange, under the old system I think we lost at least 2 times all the matches in the group to finally win the bronze medal. As if we have to gain experience first and then some self-confidence. Compared to others, we usually lack this from the start. After all, last year, as you write, we finished last and played a famous tournament at the HGC.
That's how I remember it too. I see the roster and get excited. Then we get killed.lol

This one doesn't seem as heavy on good D to me.

I get why no Benak but don't like it.lol I want him at U17, U18 and U20.haha

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
One of the teams that won bronze was the 2001-born generation. In other words, any success at this tournament is irrelevant. Results don't matter, I just hope we see the Czech team score some goals and don't get completely shelled. It's true Czech teams always take a game or two to get used to higher tempo though.

As for Benak, he better be with the U20...

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Canada has announced their rosters on their website now

McKenna and Rooebrock headline Canada Red, maybe they can bring back some of their chemistry from a few summers ago

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Canada has announced their rosters on their website now

McKenna and Rooebrock headline Canada Red, maybe they can bring back some of their chemistry from a few summers ago

It looks like they loaded up the offense on Canada Red. McKenna, Roobroeck, Morin, Reschny and Martin, among others, on one team against their own age group should be very dynamic. Conversely, the most dynamic offensive dmen (Reese Hamilton on Red is pretty good too) and the best goaltender in the age group for Canada are on Canada White.

Interesting to see Blake Fiddler included as well. This tournament won't lock him in, but seems as though he may be leaning towards representing Canada. Surprised that Lukas Sawchyn wasn't selected. Perhaps he's found a way to represent the USA moving forward, as he's definitely good enough for these teams.

I don't see too many big omissions here. I thought Ben Kindel and Ty Coupland might get looks. Both have started strong and had solid CWGs.

Too bad they "graduated" Misa. He would've looked great on Canada Red.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
It looks like they loaded up the offense on Canada Red. McKenna, Roobroeck, Morin and Reschny, among others, on one team against their own age group should be very dynamic. Conversely, the most dynamic offensive dmen (Reese Hamilton on Red is pretty good too) and the best goaltender in the age group are on Canada White.

Interesting to see Blake Fiddler included as well. This tournament won't lock him in, but seems as though he may be leaning towards representing Canada.
Lecompte is another great offensive player for red, but yes in general I agree. White is still strong with Desnoyers, Guite, etc up front but they are no match for Red.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Link to Canada rosters:

Schedule is here:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad