Value of: Tyson Barrie

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Oilers clear the Lucic salary for a steep price and get the RHD with a conditional pick.

Barrie
2020-2nd (conditional if unsigned)

For

Lucic
2019-1st
2020-1st
Poolparty

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Huberdeau is interesting. Don't think Avs would be interested in that Oil package.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Holy hell that is awful for Edmonton

I estimate there is only a few teams with the financial stability, cap space and appeal to waive the NMC/NTC. The market being so small, the package has to be huge.

Lucic will cost $19M in salary or $24M Cap Hit for the next 4 years for a slow 4th line player with a NMC. If he chooses to not waive his NMC, the receiving team will lose a productive player in the Expansion Draft.

NYI and CBJ traded a 1st + 2nd picks to move injured players to the LVK at the Expansion Draft. Conditional if they never play, so insurance can pay their salaries and they’ll receive a Cap exemption.

Oilers has long coveted RHD-Barrie and frees $24M in Cap space for the player they need. Another $5.5M becomes available if Barrie chooses not to resign and they’ll be compensated by the AVs with a conditional pick.

AVs still might not make this offer. Getting the 2-1sts and Poolparty is enticing, but not at the risk of dead cap space, $$$ and the risk of losing another player at the EX Draft. They’ll likely buyout his contract, toss away $Millions in salary and partially cripple the next 4 years to essentially buy picks/prospects.

If you believe this is a terrible deal, then read the other Forums. Lucic is untradeable unless the Oilers offer a significant package.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We're perfectly fine with just dealing with it until the Seattle expansion if that gross deal is the way to get rid of it rn.

Seattle will likely ask for a similar package as NYI and CBJ, 1st + 2nd with the condition the player never plays again. Lucic rarely misses games. They will never draft him.

Reactions: Meeqs

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I estimate there is only a few teams with the financial stability, cap space and appeal to waive the NMC/NTC. The market being so small, the package has to be huge.

Lucic will cost $19M in salary or $24M Cap Hit for the next 4 years for a slow 4th line player with a NMC. If he chooses to not waive his NMC, the receiving team will lose a productive player in the Expansion Draft.

NYI and CBJ traded a 1st + 2nd picks to move injured players to the LVK at the Expansion Draft. Conditional if they never play, so insurance can pay their salaries and they’ll receive a Cap exemption.

Oilers has long coveted RHD-Barrie and frees $24M in Cap space for the player they need. Another $5.5M becomes available if Barrie chooses not to resign and they’ll be compensated by the AVs with a conditional pick.

AVs still might not make this offer. Getting the 2-1sts and Poolparty is enticing, but not at the risk of dead cap space, $$$ and the risk of losing another player at the EX Draft. They’ll likely buyout his contract, toss away $Millions in salary and partially cripple the next 4 years to essentially buy picks/prospects.

If you believe this is a terrible deal, then read the other Forums. Lucic is untradeable unless the Oilers offer a significant package.

The deal is terrible.

Regardless of what it would cost Edmonton to get rid of Lucic's contract, they can't afford to get rid of Lucic because they have next to zero assets to begin with. What exactly are they going to do with that cap space anyways, sign Simmonds to an equally bad contract?

Reactions: 780il

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Marsechault? Vegas could use more Dmen

Barrie isn't worth all that much anymore and Vegas probably won't be able to afford dishing out another longterm deal.

We Avs fans are in for a rude awakening when it comes to Barrie thanks to Sakics mistake of not trading him a year ago or atleast at the deadline.
I don't see many teams that would want Barrie that could afford his next contract and that would be willing to give up the type of quality top6 forward we would want in return.

Just look at recent returns for pending UFAs. And I will keep repeating. I'd rather trade him for a return that is the equivalent of a mid-late 1st + B (+) prospect than sign him to his next contract.
Sakic already IMO made a giant mistake by hanging on to Barrie this long. The only thing that would make that worse is if he signs him to a huge longterm deal...

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Barrie isn't worth all that much anymore and Vegas probably won't be able to afford dishing out another longterm deal.

We Avs fans are in for a rude awakening when it comes to Barrie thanks to Sakics mistake of not trading him a year ago or atleast at the deadline.
I don't see many teams that would want Barrie that could afford his next contract and that would be willing to give up the type of quality top6 forward we would want in return.

Just look at recent returns for pending UFAs. And I will keep repeating. I'd rather trade him for a return that is the equivalent of a mid-late 1st + B (+) prospect than sign him to his next contract.
Sakic already IMO made a giant mistake by hanging on to Barrie this long. The only thing that would make that worse is if he signs him to a huge longterm deal...
Is there an equivalent pending UFA that we could go after ?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you're underestimating how awful Lucic's contract is.
People are taking this Lucic thing way to far. His reverse value is somehow sky rocketing way beyond his actual negative impact to the oilers cap. The oilers don’t have cap room for good players due to a lot of underperforming people, not just Lucic.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
think of it this way. lucic's deal is 6 per right? and hes not a useful NHLer. so his negative value is worth what a player worth 6m per is worth. that player is easily worth a 1st+ so lucics negative value is a 1st+. if his deal didnt have term that would be a different thing but it does.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
There was a thread here asking about a PP QB for Anaheim. So Barrie for Rakell. Should make both sides say no, the basis of any good deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad