News Article: Tyler Wright: The days of leaving kids in the AHL for extended periods is over

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=86074

“All I can say is I think the days of us leaving kids in the AHL for three-plus years or whatever, we don’t have the luxury of having Nick Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk and those type of guys up top where we can do that,†Wright said.

It’s easy to be patient when there are Stanley Cups being won, but as the Pittsburgh Penguins have proven the past two springs with Matt Murray, Bryan Rust, Conor Sheary and Jake Guentzel, you can play the kids and still do all right.

The Wings seem to slowly be coming around to this way of thinking.

“Hopefully we can speed up that process as far as their development and get them into a Red Wings uniform a little bit faster, but that’s out of my control,ââ¬Â Wright said.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
"Instead, our coach will just leave them in the press box for extended stays, for minor transgressions, while continuing to play and make endless excuses for talentless garbage."

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's all a gamble.

That's the cap league. Everything is a calculated risk. Oh I get this guy after a decent year for a cheap cap hit but long term. I'm banking on the possibility of him outgrowing it and having a cheap as hell, good player for 5-6 years. Or I'm calling up our kids and hoping they are what we need them to be.

There are good chances you are wrong. But you're not going to win any other way. Period. You're not going to get superstars to take any kind of "hometown discount" on the level you need to assemble a team where everyone is paid what they're worth and are known quantities.

That's where the Wings have failed so far. That's why our team is so expensive but still so terrible. Funny to see them identify Pittsburgh though. Chicago's been doing it for years and they have 3 cups. As long as it's taken them to realize the obvious, thank god it's finally happened.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
That's why our team is so expensive but still so terrible.

Detroit's nearing the end of the contract clutter teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh are just entering, and teams like LA are getting firmly mired in.

I don't recall any team getting out from under it's stars before they ding them for 2+ overpaid/ineffective years at the end of their runs. Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, those three guys have either missed badly or struggled to earn their contracts most of their last 2-3 years in Detroit. Franzen's concussion stuff was just a killer, contractually.

When the stars of those other clubs are winding down but still on big deals we'll see those franchises enter the same kind of malaise Detroit is in now, or Vancouver has been in for awhile, or that LA's entering.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
The Director of Amateur scouting is making this comment? Why?

Me thinks he hears the ticking time bomb that is his job.
Dude wants some of his picks in the show soon, so he actually has something to show for.

If Holland is actually on board with this... then it's safe to say Bertuzzi and Svech will break camp as NHL regulars next year.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Shawn Horcoff would make ultimate suggestions/decisions on what is best for a players development.

Ken Holland makes final decisions on directions of the NHL team and who makes the roster.

Tyler Wright is supposed to find and rank the best amateur talents. Not dictate what the Detroit Red Wings do with those talents.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit's nearing the end of the contract clutter teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh are just entering, and teams like LA are getting firmly mired in.

I don't recall any team getting out from under it's stars before they ding them for 2+ overpaid/ineffective years at the end of their runs. Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, those three guys have either missed badly or struggled to earn their contracts most of their last 2-3 years in Detroit. Franzen's concussion stuff was just a killer, contractually.

When the stars of those other clubs are winding down but still on big deals we'll see those franchises enter the same kind of malaise Detroit is in now, or Vancouver has been in for awhile, or that LA's entering.
While all this is largely true, a couple points:

1) Teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh have definitely been more proactive in getting prospects involved sooner than Detroit has. Getting more years of NHL service out of the cheap contracts makes it a little easier to fit your stars under the cap.

2) Stars are not the only caliber of player that Detroit has regularly signed to contracts that end up with multiple years of bad cap hits.

So yes, pretty much anybody that has stars to pay, then pays them, will end up with at least some pain in the cap department, as those deals wind down. But it's a lot more worth it for perennial All Stars than for the collection of average and depth guys (plus the buyouts) that make up a good portion of the Wings' financial mismanagement.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Shawn Horcoff would make ultimate suggestions/decisions on what is best for a players development.

Ken Holland makes final decisions on directions of the NHL team and who makes the roster.

Tyler Wright is supposed to find and rank the best amateur talents. Not dictate what the Detroit Red Wings do with those talents.

Yoy don't know nothing how they have agreed about talking certain things.

Except you are one of the three names you mentioned.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

But he's not saying, 'We shall do this.'

He's saying that he hopes Detroit can move in this direction, because that's where the league is now, and it's to the Wings' distinct advantage to do likewise. He even comes right out and admits the final decision isn't his to make, but that doesn't mean he has no right to speak to NHL trends in player development.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
But he's not saying, 'We shall do this.'

He's saying that he hopes Detroit can move in this direction, because that's where the league is now, and it's to the Wings' distinct advantage to do likewise. He even comes right out and admits the final decision isn't his to make, but that doesn't mean he has no right to speak to NHL trends in player development.

Sorry, you are completely right. misread that.

He does state it's out of his control.
Which begs why bring it up publicly?
must be feeling some heat after every casual analyst is giving us a failing grade on our draft..

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Yoy don't know nothing how they have agreed about talking certain things.

Except you are one of the three names you mentioned.

I don't know the exact working order of the organization.

But I do understand a title.

Tyler Wright himself admits his comments are dabbling out of the scope of his job within the organization.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
So much negativity when it comes to our prospects. Tough to tell what's legit criticism and what's just being negative for the sake of being negative about everything.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Tyler Bertuzzi is a full-time player in 2017/2018 is what I'm getting from this.

Maybe AA will get to become a full time player too?

Maybe Blabhill will stop bashing the young guys?

Maybe Holland will leave the "stock" nonsense on the Monopoly Board?

Maybe Ford will make the Edsel again?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I would love if Svechnikov and Bertuzzi finally become full time players. Up front we have some decent potential if Larkin can transition into center and Rasmussen makes the NHL in two years. That would give us an intriguing top-6 with the likes of Larkin/Mantha/AA/Svechnikov/Rasmussen/Whoever, which is a serious combo or size/speed/skill. Our defense on the other hand needs a serious look.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sorry, you are completely right. misread that.

He does state it's out of his control.
Which begs why bring it up publicly?
must be feeling some heat after every casual analyst is giving us a failing grade on our draft..
Depending on how the interview went, he might've just been responding to the direction that questions went, and there isn't anything more to it than that.

Or it's a combo, and the unflattering reviews of this latest draft led to the direction of the interview, which led to his comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad