Prospect Info: Tyler Toffoli named AHL Rookie of the Year!

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I thought this was big enough of news to deserve it's own thread!

http://theahl.com/toffoli-named-ahl-rookie-of-the-year-p183183

Toffoli named AHL Rookie of the Year
April 12, 2013
Photo: Steve Babineau

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that forward Tyler Toffoli of the Manchester Monarchs has been named the winner of the Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award as the AHL’s outstanding rookie for the 2012-13 season, as voted by AHL coaches, players and media in each of the league’s 30 member cities.

Toffoli, a second-round pick (47th overall) by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has recorded 28 goals and 20 assists for 48 points in 55 games for the Monarchs this season. He leads all AHL rookies in goals and shorthanded goals (three) and owns the highest plus/minus rating among rookie forwards in the league at plus-20. A 20-year-old native of Scarborough, Ont., Toffoli represented Manchester at the 2013 Dunkin’ Donuts AHL All-Star Classic, and was named to the AHL All-Rookie Team earlier this week. Toffoli made his National Hockey League debut on Mar. 16, and has recorded two goals and three assists in eight NHL games with the Kings. The Monarchs are 28-22-2-3 with Toffoli in the lineup this season, 4-9-1-1 without him.

This award, which was first presented by the AHL in 1947, honors the late Dudley (Red) Garrett, a promising young player who lost his life during World War II while serving in the Royal Canadian Navy. Garrett split his only pro season, 1942-43, between the AHL’s Providence Reds and the NHL’s New York Rangers.

Previous winners of the Garrett Award include Terry Sawchuk (1949), Wally Hergesheimer (1951), Jimmy Anderson (1955), Bill Sweeney (1958), Roger Crozier (1964), Gerry Desjardins (1968), Rick Middleton (1974), Darryl Sutter (1980), Pelle Lindbergh (1981), Steve Thomas (1985), Ron Hextall (1986), Brett Hull (1987), Felix Potvin (1992), Darcy Tucker (1996), Daniel Briere (1998), Rene Bourque (2005), Teddy Purcell (2008), Nathan Gerbe (2009), Tyler Ennis (2010), Luke Adam (2011) and Cory Conacher (2012).

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I figured that Etem would have won it for sure, considering how great of a talent he was that DL missed out on. :sarcasm:

In all serious though, great season for him. I thought he'd do well, but not this well, especially coming in as a rookie into manchester which had been somewhat gutted of offensive talent and playing a tight system like they do. I figured 25 goals for the whole season, not over half a goal a game. He and Gravel will make this draft worthwhile at least, IMO, and there's still plenty of hope for Forbort, Weal and Kitsyn. Could turn out to be a great draft year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Misses the home stretch and still is dominant enough to win. Awesome for Toffoli! Have seen so much promise out of him...can't wait to see what a year of working out and camp will do!

BTW, anyone else see Sutter on that list?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Misses the home stretch and still is dominant enough to win. Awesome for Toffoli! Have seen so much promise out of him...can't wait to see what a year of working out and camp will do!

There was five former/current Kings players/coaches mentioned there, six if you count Toffoli. That's pretty cool, and there may be more if someone wants to go through the entire list.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I was gonna ask if he was eligible to play for the Monarchs in their post-season... until I saw that the Monarchs are a mere nine points from elimination with six games to play. They're going to need to go 5-0-1 down the stretch for it to even matter.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I was gonna ask if he was eligible to play for the Monarchs in their post-season... until I saw that the Monarchs are a mere nine points from elimination with six games to play. They're going to need to go 5-0-1 down the stretch for it to even matter.

Basically. But, the good news is there currently 4 points behind the 8th seeded Hershey Bears. And they play Bears twice in the final 6 games. They have the 7th seeded Connecticut Whale tonight. Puck drops in less the 5 minutes. Derek Forbort is making his pro debut tonight.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

Toffoli: A forward
55 Games 28 goals 20A 48P
5th rookie scoring
34th in league scoring for forwards

J. Schultz
34GM 18G 30A 48P
6th in rookie scoring
1st in league scoring for Dmen
35th in league scoring

I do not think dominate means what you think it means.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
5th rookie scoring

J. Schultz
34GM 18G 30A 48P
6th in rookie scoring
35th in league scoring

Note he said dominant enough, despite time missed.

But go ahead and enjoy the little victory of Schultz putting up more impressive numbers. I know victories are few and far between for the Oilers.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
5th rookie scoring

J. Schultz
34GM 18G 30A 48P
6th in rookie scoring
35th in league scoring

Yay!! An Oilers troll! :handclap: We never see those around here. :sarcasm:

He said dominate enough, and for a rookie, he was dominate. No one said your little prize Schultz wasn't dominate, so I fail to see the need to come over here and comment on our board about anything Toffoli has done.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I spent allot of time around TT especially during his time with the 67s and he is a good kid who deserves everything that comes to him. He has worked his tail off to get his skating to where it is now and will continue with the same level of hard work once he gets set with us.

This kid is as good as allot of us have been saying he would be since he day he was drafted. In a little time.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Yay!! An Oilers troll! :handclap: We never see those around here. :sarcasm:

He said dominate enough, and for a rookie, he was dominate. No one said your little prize Schultz wasn't dominate, so I fail to see the need to come over here and comment on our board about anything Toffoli has done.

Schultz is nothing more than a forward who plays on D. If he were one of our kids I would be all over him. He is currently minus - 13 and if you watch him with the Oilers he makes Lolerby look like Einstein out there.

LOW hockey I.Q. cherry picker type of pmd.

TT is solid and that is why he won the roy award.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad